Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Sick Deli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 20:40    Post subject: Sick Deli Reply with quote

After saying to Wrecknett alls well ....it's gone and proved us wrong

very slugish topspeed 40 (overdrive out)
Lots of black smoke
starts as normal very steady tickover as normal

Inlet not clgged turbo okay.

was fine this afternoon did a couple of stops then above happened.

Suspect injector ????????????
idea's please

Regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
founding member? of the rollover group
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 20:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan sorry to hear this matey Sad
I'm inclined to say dodgy egr or blockage of fuel Question
Is your EGR valve blocked ? if not i take it that its still functioning? if so check there pull the tube on it and stick summit up it then drive see if its any diff,if blocked with tin,again take of the valve and check to make sure the plate hasn't burnt through(unlikely with club plates)the egr fault would give rise to similar things as u have now.
Also check /replace if needed the fuel filter ,and also check all connections to and from the filter are tight etc also if you can take a peep down at the fuel pump to see if all electrical connections are in place and also theres no obvious sign of leakage around the pump,it could be as simple as a connector come of /worked loose ,if not any of the above could well be a faulty injector.
Hope that helps and hope it gets sorted soon matey let us know what happens atb

Marc 8)

alan S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marc
I've just checked the Egr and that is fine no holes just a sooty plate
I've just squrted some redx down into the inlet manifold and some into the bleed hole of the fuel filter the rest into the tank (half full)
a quick wizz round the block was an inprovement but it may have been the redx giving the power (and the white smoke)
see what that does tomorrow.
a bit of history
last fuel top up was on Monday done about 40-50 miles to occurance.
not been down onto the low fuel light more than a couple of times.
now due a service (two sets of filters awaiting collection)
fuel filter was not changed last time, I have doubts on the oil as it had un new dirt on it, I even thought it may be just a eliment not a can type due to the bolt in the base.
ta for now
Regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan :D
Quote:
fuel filter was not changed last time
that would def be my next port of call then matey,just to be sure,you could even remove it and drain it off see if theres any excessive debris in there.

Quote:
I even thought it may be just a eliment not a can type due to the bolt in the base.
The bolt in the base (in case u don't know already :D )is in fact the drain plug for the filter Shocked japs think of everything lol,theres been a mass debate (careful lads Laughing )over pattern filters and genuine filters before at pocuk and i think we have even touched on it here thers been a lot of good report for the fram filters for the Delica and also the blueprint ones as well,many of us have used milners parts and have had nothing but success with them, but at the end of the day you go with what you know and what you have tested ,but as you say a service is due its not going to hurt to change the filters anyway,
Let us know how it goes in the morning ,and also could be worth checking the air filter also ,i recently changed mine and was suprised at the diffrence the new filter made Wink .
Anyways hope it goes okay matey all the best

Marc 8)

alan S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I gathered that after someone in the club commented about it about a month ago especially as we were charged £22 for it. the two sets are from milners as a caravaning frend was up there. and I've just noticed the oil light flickering. good job it's pay day tomorrow.
I've also just been reading wendy's posting and sound familier.
going to bed catch you all t'morrow
regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
alan S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel filter changed

No difference

Mutter, mutter

regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
HSTDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan S wrote:
Fuel filter changed

No difference

Mutter, mutter

regards
Alan

Fuel filter is very unlikely to cause black smoke, black smoke is 99.9% of the time as a result of overfuelling, try air filter and air intake system. If all this looks okay, remove injectors and check that one hasn't lost it's tip.

Make sure the injection pump bolts are tight and the pump hasn't moved.

Re-fit the injectors, (one at a time) to a fuel pipe and crank the engine, make sure that the diesel comes out in a fine spray and shuts off immediately ( a dribbling injector [broken / weak spring] will give black smoke). DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS NEAR THE INJECTOR WHILST DOING THIS - IT CAN INJECT DIESEL THROUGH YOUR SKIN AND THIS CAN KILL!!!!
alan S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HD

The reason for doing the fuel filter was reduced fuel flow = poor squrt at the injectors. watching to day the smoke is a little less pronounced and I can make out that it is puffing if you get my description. so injectors it is next to check as the inlet side is clear, run open after the I-cooler and watched the turbo spin up.
Regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan
Prob a silly question but have you checked/changed the air filter at all? and also checked all inlet pipeworks is secure and not holed or anything?
The other possibility is faulty seals in the fuel pump,as you know the normal for the seals is dodgy starting and stalling but dependent on what seals may have gone?
Also the fuel you filled up with is it your normal filling station ? or was it a quieter one,as it has been known for a bad batch of fuel or even the quieter garages to have basically cr4p fuel.
Hope that helps a bit more keep us posted on whats what,atb

Marc 8)

alan S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the first script i said the turbo was okay
yes it did so ... as the engine was still hot NO way was I going to put my pinkies near the fans so the check was done by screwdriver as a finger extension , it turned freely and then running the engine was spinning up at no time did I get hold of the fan and waggle it . this eve with a cold engine I did lots of play.
I have to say now that this is Chris's car and I've not driven it for a while so relearning sounds etc takes abit of time.
On Tuesday there was a slight growling sound very faint she's got new tyres on, road ,transmission noise? I wasn't sure, this has increased over the last two days of 4x 2 mile trips also establising at what point the exhaust smoke started and the above noise started /fell off.
I would now say
Smoke starts at 2000rpm.
Growling noise starts at rpm increase stops/fades as power is reduced.
Max speed 40 mph will hold on the flat 30 with out smoke.
Any load increases smoke.
also noticed
Oil warning light began to glow as rev increased above tick over.

It's booked in for repairs and service on Tuesday

Thanks for all the advise
much is live and learn
Regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: