4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

2nd battery on a L400. How to fit???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainfishcookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 20:04    Post subject: 2nd battery on a L400. How to fit??? Reply with quote

Checked out a few sites and I'm wondering if there are any L400s out there with a 2nd battery.
If so, how would I go about fitting a second one as I only have a single one and could do with more battery time due to large sound system & planned camping trip!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 20:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

One battery fits in front of the other in the battery tray, all you need to do is make a connection from one to the other on the terminals, pos to pos and neg to neg.

Hope that helps a bit Wink
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat wrote:
One battery fits in front of the other in the battery tray, all you need to do is make a connection from one to the other on the terminals, pos to pos and neg to neg.

Hope that helps a bit Wink

I can't believe it's as simple as that Rolling Eyes It is a Jap car after all Wink Laughing Laughing
I was thinking of doing the same, I guess it would be best to match the batteries size wise as best as poss Wink Then the system would 'see it' as just one gaint battery Shocked
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should always match the batteries. although don't have to just good practice Wink

Mind you my third one don't match the other two Rolling Eyes
Just trying to help
;)
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of fitting a second alternator......just got to work out how :?

All runs alright at the moment but when I've got the caravan in tow thats 4 batteries to charge Shocked
I know it can handle it but its working hard Sad
Just trying to help
;)
captainfishcookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems pretty tight in my bay baby! Maybe when the SVA was done (cowboyed!!!) they maybe put a single larger battery in. What size should the 'two in the bed' battery babes be? Which are the best ones to get for best performance? Any ideas?

:D
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat wrote:

Thinking of fitting a second alternator......just got to work out how :?

All runs alright at the moment but when I've got the caravan in tow thats 4 batteries to charge Shocked
I know it can handle it but its working hard Sad

Hey beat what the h3ll does your voltmeter on the dash read with that lot on it whilst on the move?just outta intrest?

Marc 8)

Indigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've got 2 batteries in our beast, connected in parallel, so it sees it as one giant battery.

we recently bought a little fridge to use for picnics etc, and would like to leave this on while we are out. we've looked into having the batteries 'split' - i.e. one main battery to start the car with, main one gets charged first whilst driving, when that one is full the second one starts charging. when the ignition is off, the relay then switches to the second battery as the primary, using that one to run the stereo and fridge etc. if this then runs right down, the car will still start on the main battery. and the flat one will charge up on the way home.

costs about £70 to have this done. just gotta wait until payday now! lolz
petemillis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only important to match the voltages isn't it, not the currents? A 60 amp battery + an 80 amp battery will give equivalent to a 140 amp battery. There is no flow of current from the higher capacity to the lower capacity battery as the voltages are the same.
It's a different situation when you connect a flat battery to a fully charged battery as the voltage of the flat one is so much lower, and hence current flows from the fully charged to the flat one.
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be okay Pete, to differ the amps of the batteries, although not good practice. One battery would always be working harder than the other, it would all be down to the internal resistance of the batteries :?
One battery would always be working harder than the other.

Marc wrote:
Hey beat what the h3ll does your voltmeter on the dash read with that lot on it whilst on the move?just outta intrest?
Marc 8)

The voltage still reads the same as before, it still only looks at a 12 Volt battery, well thats all it thinks it looks at Laughing
If the alternator is doing its job the same as any other motor the voltage will stay between about 12 to 14 volts.

If I only had one battery the chances are the voltage would drop down as the alternator would have trouble keeping the voltage stable in the battery through the demand on it :?
(are you all still awake Laughing )
Just trying to help
;)
Indigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz uh? did you say something? Laughing
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

astra wrote:
Beat wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz uh? did you say something? Laughing

Could always talk about bolt threads Razz Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
drew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 22:48    Post subject: BATTERY Reply with quote

Always fit larger battery at first charge point i.e. 85 amp Then fit lower amp battery second, thereby charge will go to main battery and no volltage drop will occur. The danger of fitting the other way is that the lower amp unit will not accept all charge and burn out is possible.
Better to stay with two of same size and save trouble. Sad

++++ If fitting an aux battery for other equipment buy a split relay and fit between batteries. this will allow charge to first battery and when this is at full charge state, an electronic gate will open and divert charge to 2nd Battery. This will stop any drain that may be present, even when veh. is stationary, and thereby eliminate a flat starter battery. :D

Is this a bit clearer than mud.!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: