Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Steering rack play? Or track rod?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobgell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 0:31    Post subject: Steering rack play? Or track rod? Reply with quote

I have been fiddling around with the front wheels off and have discovered what appears to be play in the rack. When wiggling the offside front wheel from side to side, it goes clunk clunk as it goes, and moves a couple of mil either way.

It is at the rack end of the trackrod, under the rubber boot, so it may be the inboard joint on the trackrod. Just wondering how this is screwed together on these things, and whether it may be adjustable. It is definately not the outer ball joint. Need to sort before its MOT if poss.

The nearside one has no play.

I wonder if this is why the original tyres balled off on the outer edges, (due to tracking error), or do they all do this anyway like Toymota H*lux's do? (Although they do inner and outer edges, yuk).

Any advice?

cheers,

Rob
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 0:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pyrogaz

Location: Caithness, next stop polar bears and hardy little chaps in Parkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bobgell, I changed the upper balls joints on my Deli at the weekend and noticed the same problem with the near side inner track rod end whilst messing about under there. I'm sure the wear is in the joint as I had the outer end disconnected and could push the rod back and forth a couple of mil.

I'm planning on replacing the famous "stubby" links this weekend and hope to get time to have a look inside the rubber gaiter on the inner end of the track rod, if I get in there before you I'll post what I find on here Smile

I agree, it could go a long way towards explaining excessive tyre wear.
chiefie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

most mitsi racks have replaceable track rods, they just unscrew out of the rack, unfortunately they are not adjustable. hope this helps guys!!!
bobgell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks both. Pyro it seems like you will get into yours before I do, so I'd be v. interested to know what you find. So if they unscrew, what is the play in exactly? The threads, or an inner ball joint? The latter I presume?

Sorry to be ignorant, but LR's and RR's don't have racks and I haven't looked at the MG one since it went in about 15 years ago!

Cheers now,

Rob
chiefie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

dead right, it is in an inner ball joint under th boot 8)
bobgell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruddy ball joints are a pain. Rolling Eyes

Cheers Chiefie. 8)
deandownunder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy's, You will find that the rack end ball joints on the Delica are unique to that vehicle. I recently replaced mine as they were showing signs of wear. The Mitsu part number is MR151971. They cannot be adjusted and they are not cheap, cost me around 130 quid for the pair (plus fitting and a wheel alignment) in your language. Cheers, Dean.
bobgell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dean. Just picked myself up from the floor and looked at milneroffroad.com/Delica.htm and see they have listed, "Track Rod ends, inner / outer" at £12 + vat each. Part No. 3563. Now that's a relief. Don't know what the quality is like though. Anyone??
pyrogaz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few bits from Milner and quality seems fine, problem I had was the upper ball joint they listed didn't fit my Deli so I had to get them from a dealer at three times the price Sad Hopefully their track rod ends will fit.

I'm fairly convinced it is just the inner joint, if it was wear in the rack it would feel loose from both sides.
pyrogaz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, I've had a look at the inner track rod end today, the movement on mine is definitely within the inner joint and not the rack. The ball of the joint is machined onto the end of the track road and the socket threads onto the end of the rack beneath the rubber bellows, although I haven't removed it yet cos I haven't got the replacement to hand. I think mine has worn because of a split in the bellows.

Milners don't do a replacement despite it being listed on their website, it would appear to be a dealer only part, Mitsi dealers can get them for about £45.

I've got some photos but haven't got time at present to upload to a suitable location, check your messages and I'll email to you.
petemillis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a joint that can be repacked with grease?
I know on my m/bike that the swingarm joint had excessive place and my steering was all a wobbly. Repacked with grease and it's been lovely ever since!
pyrogaz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you could dismantle the joint and pack thick grease in there but it is relatively small for the loads it carries, I'm sure the grease would be forced out very quickly. Mine has worn due to a split in the bellows, thankfully it hasn't worn the rack, would be well worth checking the bellows on yours are intact.

I reckon deandownunder got a bargain at the equivalent of £130 for the pair including fitting and alignment, I reckon a dealer here would charge an hour per side, say £200 + vat for the whole job and parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: