4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

ECS>NON ECS Rear Shock Conversion Solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samstripy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 16:24    Post subject: ECS>NON ECS Rear Shock Conversion Solution Reply with quote

I was having issues locating ECS Rear Shocks in the UK as every one I was finding was Eyelet top/bottom standard NON-ECS shocks.  I know a few people would rather just run NON-ECS in an ECS Delica, but seemed for some that was proving an issue with none being available with Eyelet bottom/Pin Top.  I found a link to an adapter that converts a NON ECS shock (which seem to be Eyelet top/Eyelet bottom only) to Pin top so that it could fit in the ECS shock top Mount.  

My profile will not let me link it but just searching 'Gwyn Lewis 4x4 UK shock mount adapter EYE to PIN' gets the link.

One question though, I am about to try this out on my Delica using a standard NON-ECS shock (Double Eyelet).  Am I going to run into issues doing this, or do you think this will work just fine?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 16:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go to Mitsubishi, they cost just over £100 each and are then original,
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you mean this item, which is just a piece of straight bar bent into a U shape:-

First thing to note is that the U shape needs to match the width of the bush centre core on whatever make of shocker you purchase.
The second thing to note is that the original shocker has a thick rubber bush above and below the rear mounting plate, with cup washers holding those in place.

provided the original bushes are in good condition those can be transferred to the kit.

Assuming you use a longer bolt, to allow for the extra length, than what is provided in the kit, then they should work.

Taking into account what the materials consist of, if you have the ability to bend some steel bar and drill holes through it, then you can buy nuts and bolts from your local stockist for less than £5. That is far better than paying out £20

Note that using these will stop the ECS system working, reverting to normal dampening and therefore being unable to stiffen the suspension for road use.  Greater care should be taken on roundabouts and cornering, until you get used to the changes, including the potential wallowing effect, giving some people travel sickness.

HTH

NB: Personally I will stick to the original ECS system.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why will this stop the ECS from working it these are mounted on the bottom of the shock?
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

This device is to allow the use of non-ECS shockers in an ECS mount fitting.

The bottom fittings ECS shocker are eyelets.

The ECS shockers only have pins at the top, therefore this device is fitted to the top of an ECS shocker, not the bottom.

The actuator, which is required to activate the ECS system mounts on the pin fitting, detecting movement of the blade inside the pin.
As this device stops the fitting of the Actuator then the ECS system will no longer function.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was dazzled by the whiteness and thought it was an extension piece for the bottom for when you lift the suspension!
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

But…  instead you got creamed.  Laughing

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

😭
samstripy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that additional info, don't think I have ever pressed the ECS button in my Delica, but will have a bit more of a look and see what's best.  How do you go about ordering directly from Mitsubishi? Never really tried the actual main dealers for parts as in the past they have been way more expensive. Do you find a dealer and do it that way as the website just points you to dealers?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to your local Mitsu dealer's Parts Dept.

Once they get to know you, especially if you buy a fair bit, they will start to give discounts down to trade prices.
Not all are willing to post, though they do charge postage on top of parts.

Note that they can usually get an overnight delivery of bits from the central stores.

Some autofactors can source OEM Mitsu parts, especially if they are made in the UK.

ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the ECS button being on only affect the handling through the shocks then? I thought I saw it also kept the auto box from changing up until a higher motor RPM speed is reached.

With respect to the ECS shocks, how obvious should the difference be? If I turn this on should the change in handling be noticeable? Is there a good way to test it is operational?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECS systems has no affect on the transmission. What you are describing is down to the A/T switch on the dash.

For info on the A/T switch, note this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18735

If the Dash indicator is lighting up as SPORT or switching off then it means it is working.
Though you should be able to hear the actuator moving, when you first turn on the ignition, as it does it's self diagnosis  (NB: by that I mean someone listening next to the wheels, not from the driving position.

You cannot physically see the actuators moving, as all moving parts are internal in the actuator and shock absorber.

NB: only Mitsubishi OEM units work with the ECS system.

There is a fuse for the system, located under the dashboard, which also covers the ABS system:-

ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think my equipment options must be different to others. I have an A/T switch with only two positions, hold/normal. I also have an ECS switch, on the central dash console. Pressing this makes the Sport light come on on the dash display.
The link you have posted and I have looked at details a three position A/T switch which mine is not.
I presume a Sporty handling will be stiffer, so intended for performance road driving. Not sure when I would expect a van to perform in such a way, without drinking fuel at an even greater rate!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only a three position A/T rocker switch. Central has nothing showing on the dash, otherwise it is showing PWR or Hold, neither of which should be left on continuously.

If your is not showing either of those, then the switch is probably faulty or the bulb in the warning light has blown.

The ECS switched to SPORT mode is not so much as a 'sporty' performance, as it is less of a roll side to side for when offoad.

ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

not on mine mate. two positions of the A/T switch, one is nada, the other is hold. Pressing ECS button on central console gives the sport light on the dash. I even tried holding the A/T switch in a mid position to see if it would stay there if anything else lit up, but NO. It has two positions only.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at my switch.

2002 petrol.

Only two positions on mine also.?

My old dirty diesel had three.

From looking at the two models, it does seem they have simplyfied things with the newer models.
( the new is only a 19 year old vehicle  Very Happy).

No sunroofs, roof blinds, at position switch, windscreen wiper timer, all gone on the new.

There are probably more.?

I look at it as I have more time fixing less things.  Laughing
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jim’s is also a petrol, then that could explain the difference in the switches ?

ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, mine's a 2006 petrol. I have most other things though, not sure which model version I have
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: