Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Good mechanic in West Sussex - Horsham, Worthing, Brighton?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWG81

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 18:21    Post subject: Good mechanic in West Sussex - Horsham, Worthing, Brighton? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just looking for recommendations of a mechanic who knows Delicas / Pajeros in or around West Sussex. None of my local garages are interested / experienced enough and I have engine trouble that I can't diagnose and I'm at my wits end! Or any members nearby that would be able to take a look?

Thanks a lot,
Andrew
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 18:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried LMC in pulborough, they replaced all my brake hoses last year, did some servicing stuff and welding. Not the cheapest but they are professional and reliable.
Andy
AWG81

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Andy, not tried LMC yet - they are very local to me so maybe I'll give them a go. I'm really after someone who really know these engines in particular but at this point I'll give anyone a go!

Cheers,
Andrew
mark3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:52    Post subject: Re: Good mechanic in West Sussex - Horsham, Worthing, Bright Reply with quote

AWG81 wrote:
Hi all,

Just looking for recommendations of a mechanic who knows Delicas / Pajeros in or around West Sussex. None of my local garages are interested / experienced enough and I have engine trouble that I can't diagnose and I'm at my wits end! Or any members nearby that would be able to take a look?

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

What's the problem?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, main problem is black smoke and sluggishness under load or uphill. Was told it was probably the turbo but a replacement hasn't fixed the issue. Also a kind of "v v v v v v v " sound when at approx 3000 revs - sounds like something off balance, like crankshaft pulley or similar but not sure. Had injectors tested but they came back fine. Various garages have told me various things but none seem to actually want to investigate. I've done as much as I can myself but I'm out of ideas. Latest guy said it needs a new engine but I'm not 100% convinced. You did the fuel pump seal and the timing chain for me a couple of years ago.
mark3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8td???

Has it still got the ERG valve fitted?

Is it like a rattling noise and do you get black smoke when you get the lack of power?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah 2.8td

EGR has been blanked.

Yes, black smoke with the loss of power. I wouldn't of described it as a rattling noise. More like pulsing or vibrating.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the possibility that the hydraulic chain tensioner is not doing its job? Have you tried hooking the cam chain from inside the oil filler cap? It is unlikely to be the chain itself, as you say Mark changed that recently.
AWG81

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, I checked the chain tension through the filler cap and that seems okay. It's less of a rattle and more like the whole engine is vibrating but only at high revs. Could it be the crankshaft harmonic balancer or something like that? Would that affect performance too?
mark3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
What's the possibility that the hydraulic chain tensioner is not doing its job? Have you tried hooking the cam chain from inside the oil filler cap? It is unlikely to be the chain itself, as you say Mark changed that recently.

If a chain tensioner had failed i would hear the noise from here for the five mins before it takes the chain with it  Confused

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, yeah, it definitely doesn't sound that bad!

I'm guessing I probably have a couple of issues which is making it hard to figure out. I'm almost convinced it could be the crankshaft pulley making the vibration, it looks like I have a little oil leak coming from around there too. Do you still travel to do those Mark?
mark3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't travel to do anything any more, i packed up mobile repairs, well most repairs, back in June BUT i can get hold of a crank shaft front seal easily enough and i have 2x brand new crank pulleys here (1x non sensor, 1x EDC with sensor) so if you want to come to me???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark3 wrote:
andyman wrote:

If a chain tensioner had failed I would hear the noise from here for the five mins before it takes the chain with it  Confused

Do they always fail that suddenly? Or do they ever slowly lose their ability to maintain pressure? However, here's an easier one to test/get tested. Cylinder compression. If a piston ring has broken, you could be losing compression, and burning oil. Alternatively, a valve not seating properly, or worn valve guides/seals. Please remember, I am making these suggestions with only "book"  and anecdotal knowledge of the 4M40 engine. But from my experience of other engines, all my suggestions are theoretical possibilities. Mark, with his huge experience of these engines, should be able to make more, and more valid suggestions.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS the reason I suggest this is that the description of vibration with black smoke sounds like at least one cylinder is not doing its job properly/ losing power.
mark3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Do they always fail that suddenly? Or do they ever slowly lose their ability to maintain pressure?

These tensioner are primarily spring operated on a ratchet system, it come out and won't go back lol.
The ratchet teeth give about 1.5mm's of play at the chain which is needed for a bit of flex but if it rattles about it kills the tensioner, here in lies the use of oil pressure, is presses on the rear of the tensioner plunger to stop it rattling cushioning the moment while the engine is running but still allows movement within the 1.5mm space.

A big cause of chain failure is people not knowing how the system works and fit the tensioner with instant gasket which blocks the oil supply, the chain rattles on the tensioner and the constant hammering cracks the tensioner casing causing it to fail and it takes the chain with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Do they always fail that suddenly? Or do they ever slowly lose their ability to maintain pressure? However, here's an easier one to test/get tested. Cylinder compression. If a piston ring has broken, you could be losing compression, and burning oil. Alternatively, a valve not seating properly, or worn valve guides/seals. Please remember, I am making these suggestions with only "book"  and anecdotal knowledge of the 4M40 engine. But from my experience of other engines, all my suggestions are theoretical possibilities. Mark, with his huge experience of these engines, should be able to make more, and more valid suggestions.

Thanks for the input Andy - I thought about compression too and asked my local garage to do a test who told me they don't have a diesel compression tester (!?) so I took it to someone else and they said it would destroy the engine! So you can see why I'm seeking someone who knows what they're talking about or is at least interested in trying to help.
AWG81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark3 wrote:
I don't travel to do anything any more, I packed up mobile repairs, well most repairs, back in June BUT I can get hold of a crank shaft front seal easily enough and I have 2x brand new crank pulleys here (1x non sensor, 1x EDC with sensor) so if you want to come to me???

Ah that's a shame, but I can't say I blame you. Yeah I can definitely come to you - you're only about an hour and half away from me. Shall I DM you to arrange something?
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PM'ed you already with some prices, my location and my phone number (i have already posted this message but its disappeared?)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err!  

Why post a message to tell someone you have sent them a private message, when the PM system sends a message to a recipient that a private message has been sent to them ?  Rolling Eyes

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Err!  

Why post a message to tell someone you have sent them a private message, when the PM system sends a message to a recipient that a private message has been sent to them ?  Rolling Eyes

Because he asked me on the open forum about a day AFTER I had sent the pm!  Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: