Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

noise issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:48    Post subject: noise issue Reply with quote

well I'm trying to keep my bus on the road. even though its more of a challenge than my wife.
a while back i stripped the front end off the engine as i thought i might have an issue with the guides. so i stripped it down, checked the guides. chain and sprockets. nothing found. but replaced chain and guides anyhow. the chain has no slack, the tensioner was full of oil. checked if feed was clear to tensioner. just couldn't find an issue.

so now I'm not convinced the noise i have is the chain, although it sort of sounds like it ??
the sound is like the chain being stretched, but maybe a bit tinnier. it does it under load, at about 3000 rpm, about .7 bar on turbo.
no noise if i just rev it up from standing still.

does anyone think this could be a turbo issue. ??

I've never had a turbo sound like this, but i can tink what else it could be.

anyhelp as I've got no more hair to pull out
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 21:13    Post subject: Re: noise issue Reply with quote

anthony.palmer wrote:
well I'm trying to keep my bus on the road.

just couldn't find an issue.

so now I'm not convinced the noise I have is the chain, allthough it sort of sounds like it ??

A) the sound is like the chain being stretched, but maybe a bit tinnier. it does it under load, at about 3000 rpm, about .7 bar on turbo.

no noise if I just rev it up from standing still.

does anyone think this could be a turbo issue. ??

B) anyhelp as I've got no more hair to pull out

A) Never heard a chain complaining because it's stretched - But then chains do not stretch

Behind the front cover, its very busy, a lot going on in there  Rolling Eyes

I;ll have a listen for you, I'm not a 4M40 expert. Long time ago I was a Diesel mechanic.
But Senile Cementation & Altimeters Disease are knocking on my head.

My fee to members = £0.00 I charge four times my usual fee for listening, possibly (improbably) diagnosing noises. Also note - I'm going deaf.

Dopy question = When the Rocker cover was off, did you check the Camshaft for signs of wear, Tramlines, scuffing.

Other noises could be - Water Pump, Alternator, Fridge pump, Front Pulley, Viscous fan coupling.
Even damaged/hard/worn Fan Belts can make weird 'an  'Orrible sounds.

Have you checked the Turbo outlet fan blades for damage  Question

B) Can't help with the hair - I'm not a scalpist.

Hi We Combee is not too far from me. If you want to pop over, I'll have a listen.

Mr D
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi deker
i might have to take you up on that offer, as I'm lost. when stripped down, i did check the came, water pump and everything i could. it was just visual and for play. I've stayed away from checking the turbo, as i changed about four years back. but I'm thinking on replacing, as i think i might have a hairline crack in the mainfold, as i get turbo air woosh from the turbo, like you would expect from a cracked manifold. and i do believe this is a known fault.

I'm away next week, so i might have to drop you a line when I'm back.

any other ideas would be helpfull.
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay

Mr D
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious to hear what you found

i have a strange and s reeching noise that sets in at 2500 but only when driving not when reving in neutral

since i am new i need to learn a lot...
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

not 100% sure, but i have a manifold and turbo to swap over on it. I took it for a drive, with someone for a fresh opinon. straight away said it was a cracked manifold. when i thought about it, i agree, more so as over time it has got worse, little by little. after reading up, these are known for it. so i've just got to find a few hours to change over.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good having it figured out...

may i ask if that noise happens also in neutral?
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doesn't do it in neutral, ore reving up stationary, just when driving on load at 2500 rpm up wards.
i plan on changing the manifold in the next few weeks. so will 100% know if this is the issue.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that sounds a lot like what I have here.
will watch this space.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be the Over Pressure/Over Boost Valve at the rear of the Inlet Manifold,
releasing excess inlet pressure from the Turbo.

There is no need to change the Inlet manifold.
The valve at the rear can be unscrewed, though they are very tight.

When I removed my valve (for cleaning) I had to use a small bottle jack to get the valve loosened.

HTH

Mr D
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought that on mine, thats where i started, even blanked it off to make sure. then refitted after. but if not tried that its a good start.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this valve, why isn't the wastegate enough?
how do i check if it is working properly once it's taken off?
i saw a guy on youtube literally breaking it off with a jack and then glueing it in with some epoxy, probably shut it for good
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Anthony, I have a whistle/air leak which I can't find; this only happens when the engine is under load.  I thought it must be an inlet manifold gasket but was puzzled that it wasn't getting worse and worse, sounds more like an inlet manifold crack now I think of it. I haven't heard that these are problems in this vehicle but it makes much more sense to me now.  Will be interested to hear how you get on and if you notice a difference after changing it.
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_rookie wrote:
I read about this valve, why isn't the wastegate enough?
how do I check if it is working properly once it's taken off?....

The wastegate is on the turbo, The overpressure valve is on the inlet manifold, different items, different valves.

You cannot check if it is faulty when removed. Too many people think they are faulty when they are just doing what they are designed to do. I.E. open up to prevent the manifold from having too great a pressure in it. Mine opened going up a very steep hill in Spain, as I was giving it too much throttle. I just took my foot off the pedal and pulled into the side of the road,  waited ten seconds then set off again. It has never opened up again.

Just leave it alone and stop worrying about things until they happen.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure would let it be but i do have this noise constantly when moving and from 2500 revs
so i wonder how the valve could be checked once removed
is it just some clean up?
i understand the difference between the two valves but still not understand the necessity as wastegate should prevent from overboost
on my landcruiser i have no pressure release on the intake but
after install the IC I decided to extend the pressure hose to the throttle body to get measurements from there, mostly to overcome pressure loss from IC rather than overboost.
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

throttle  body  Question  What engine you got  Question

I assume that IC = InterCooler, is that correct  Question

I may have misread something here. Please excuse me if I have.

Mr D
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the confusion, I was referring to my Toy Landcruiser with 1kz-te engine with that comment since I didn't understand the necessity of the pressure release valve. yes, IC is for intercooler
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three points here please.

1. Stop using the Quote button to repeat every previous comment.
You don’t repeat back to people what they have just said to you when talking face to face, so there is no need to do it on here. it makes a thread harder to read. The use of a quote button is to remind someone of a comment further back in a post, when you are replying to that specific comment.

2. Don’t relate what you did with another vehicle to doing work on a Delica. Doing that requires people to have knowledge of that vehicle to enable them to relate it to the Delica.

3. This is an internationally accessible website, please don’t use abbreviations, as many will not know them, plus an abbreviation in one country may have a different meaning in another, as does ‘TXT talk’ which is also not allowed on here.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it, sorry

don't want to be difficult but i was hoping to get an explanation of the necessity for a pressure release valve since i have not seen any of it on other cars
skodarapid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_rookie, you mentioned a screeching sound in a previous post.  I have experienced a screeching sound at certain revs and conditions (similar to a slipping fan belt but more metallic) on my Delica and it was due to my being too kind on the manifold nuts and bolts.
Having struggled to undo the exhaust manifold nuts before installing a new cylinder head, I was reluctant to overdo it on reassembly and within a few weeks the manifold to turbo (the triangular spaced three) slackened off creating that sound and now a year later the same sound came back and I found both exhaust and inlet manifold fasteners had slackened off substantially.  Torqued up properly now so we'll see.
I'm suggesting a spanner check all round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: