4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 Not Starting, Fusible Link Contact Problem

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for guidance. I'll be sure to check these tomorrow when it stops leathering it down. What kind of resistance should I be hoping to see? Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 19:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Mancdelica

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

My glow plugs arrived and I need to install them this weekend. Anyone done this before. I've done spark plugs on my car. Is it similar but remove the connection plate to all of them first etc. Any tips would be great.

Also It does start eventually so I have been using it. Tonight I tried it.

First attempt - Two clicks, left for 20 seconds, then absolutely nothing when turning the key

Second attempt - Two clicks, left again, then nothing again. Not even a sound. like it was completely flat.

Third attempt - Two clicks. turned over. Spluttered to an almost start eventually with a cloud of smoke, then heard a horrendous squealing/screeching sound, then it died.

Forth attempt - Two clicks. Fired up as it should straight away.

Any ideas what that sound could be. I know its hard to gauge when you can't hear it but it didn't sound good... beginning to think these glow plugs aren't my only issue here, from both the dead starts and the sound.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your battery(s) on overnight charge. You may have just got depleted batteries (how?), and shreiking is simply the alternator belt(s) protesting at the strain on the alternators pulley. It's a common problem with L300s.
Mine always starts first click, but still squeals a little some-times until the heater plugs switch off.
Ask Ian (Fostlongstrider) about his squealing belts last year. He had to drive back to camp across Cumbria mid-convoy in the dark, because he only dared use his sidelights.

If he switched on his headlights, it sounded like he had a herd of tortured pigs in the van! A bit of extra tension on his belts cured it, and quickly re-charged his batteries.

Don't overdo it. Only tighten them if they still squeal once you have fully charged the battery and  changed the plugs.
Yes, changing the glow-plugs SHOULD be as simple as changing spark plugs. HOWEVER, they are easier to snap than spark plugs, so apply plenty of penetrating/releasing fluid (plus gas, as opposed to WD40) and let it soak for a while).
With a fully charged battery, and new plugs, the difference should be night and day.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS If your battery is below par/ not holding a full charge, change it asap, or put it back on mains charge every day until you can. Diesels take a lot more oomph (technically speaking)!) to start from cold - luke-warm plugs won't do it, you then start chuntering on with the starter, and wear that out, etc, etc.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancdelica wrote:

First attempt - Two clicks, left for 20 seconds, then absolutely nothing when turning the key

Mine does need to be turned over immediately on in the second click (usually 2-3 seconds after turning the key) otherwise the plugs go cold. Starts on the button like that. If left then it just labours and smokes on cold plugs

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Deker

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancdelica wrote:
1) My glow plugs arrived and I need to install them this weekend. Anyone done this before.
I've done spark plugs on my car. Is it similar but remove the connection plate to all of them first etc.

2) First attempt - Two clicks, left for 20 seconds, then absolutely nothing when turning the key
Second attempt - Two clicks, left again, then nothing again. Not even a sound. like it was completely flat.

3) Third attempt - Two clicks. turned over. then heard a horrendous squealing/screeching sound, then it died.

Any ideas what that sound could be. I know its hard to gauge when you can't hear it but it didn't sound good... beginning to think these glow plugs aren't my only issue here, from both the dead starts and the sound.

1) I always warm engine first. All connections to the Glow Plugs to be removed.

2) Do I understand this correctly, after the second click - You wait for 20 seconds before turning key to start  Question

3) As been said - Probably the Belt's slipping, after all that power being pulled from the battery(s) -
Glow Plugs draw a lot of Current. Imposes a heavy load on the Alternator.

Mr D
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two clicks, then turn the key!
20 seconds and you have taken a hell of a lot of power from the battery to heat the plugs.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats for all the replies.

I left it 20 seconds as i've read elsewhere that you should wait to let them properly heat up as It could be that?. Maybe 20 is too long.

So reading that back I probably didn't describe that noise very well. It’ more of a grinding/screech/squealing sound. I started it in front of my old man and he straight away said starter motor. I’m pretty familar with belt noises and it’s not that. It’s one second long on start up, very loud and then that's it. I think it is the starter motor, Worn teeth parhaps? I’m hoping they are relatively inexpensive and it doesn't look all that hard to do.

My alternator was replaced recently and the mechanic didn't tighten the belts at all properly. I had my power steering going on me with lights flashing and the belts making a horrendous sound. Took the van back and he tightened them up good and proper, not heard a noise form them since so pretty sure they are all good.

Also this is all with a brand new Bosch battery. I installed that last week as I wanted to rule that out. Kept having to trickle charge the battery in it overnight to get it to start. With the new one it sounds really healthy on start up.

Bosch Glow plugs were installed today with the connection bar getting a good clean with wire wool.  Slowly but surely I'm ruling things out.... It’s one thing after another, and now I fear the starter motor.  Crying or Very sad
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also thanks everyone. I’ll remember to just wait for the clicks and turn straight away.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the starter motor, it is better investigated sooner rather than later. Worn bushes or bearings create friction on the pinion shaft which can prevent full engagement of the pinion gear on the flywheel ring gear. Worn pinion teeth is one thing, - worn ring gear would be a real PITA! If you have a spare battery, some leads and  a big vice or Workmate to hold the starter motor tight, you can bench test the starter motor to see if it is functioning correctly. A squirt of WD40 on the shaft, pinion and bearings may stop it squealing, but they are supposed to be maintenance free for life. Don't give up now, you must be nearly there!
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Yeh I've been told the same that its good to start now. Thanks for the explanation though It makes sense why its important to fix now.

I think i'll just try and source one and get it in there, testing mine in the process. I hoped to go away in it on the bank holiday but I don't dare drive it far with its starting and cooling issues.
sealica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
Fixed!
Notes for future forum readers:
Gave up with tracing a break in the loom and ran a new 12v into the high current side of the starter relay (same cable that also feeds the glow plug relay high side) and added extra fuses just in case the break shorts somewhere. Starter and glow plugs all working again, starts first time.
Just got to install the cable run properly now.

Hi!

I'm in a similar situation where I've got starting problems that I've narrowed down to the wires leading into the starter relay. I've resorted to carrying a jumper wire that I use to apply battery power to the small terminal on the starter. I'm wondering if you can clarify a few things about your bypass.

Is that 12 gauge wire?
Is that a 100A fuse in that fuse block!?! Can't read the other one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: