Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

White headlight bulb upgrade - L400.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floyd9t8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43    Post subject: White headlight bulb upgrade - L400. Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a headlight bulb upgrade that actually gives the white colour beam and not yellow? I have a 1996 L400.
Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jaspa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSRAM Night Breaker's have always had a good reputation as an OEM upgrade.

Stuart
delart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just upgraded mine to leds from Amazon Diesel Auto zone very impressed with output definitely white and cheaper than osram etc which I have never been impressed with, but only have used them on very quiet country lanes so don't know if other drivers will be so impressed Rolling Eyes  but I don't forsee a problem.
delart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note these have just passed the MOT, examiner said they where brighter  :D
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely need an upgrade on my dipped bulbs - the van casts a shadow from following traffic!
delart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking of getting a light bar but with these LED lights don't need one :D
sl8ter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link for those bulbs?
delart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully  Embarassed
Diesel Auto Zone H1 Led Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit

(Link corrected. Admin)
RickB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16    Post subject: Connection Kit (LED's) Reply with quote

Did they just clip in like a normal light bulb?

Or did you need an adopter kit?

It looks like the guy before me put on a HID on main beams (only), I presume this wouldn't work for me then?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to Clarify about the front lights.

The outers use H4 and are part of the MoT, so you need to choose a unit that fits within the parameters and also gives a pattern that falls inside the cut off area. If you fit a HiD to those you also need to fit a self levelling kit.

I have fitted a pair of the LED lamps shown in the photo below. They fit straight into the standard fitting, but have a power adapter pack, that fits externally. I used some of that plastic Velcro to fasten mine to the back of the headlamp unit. you then need to adapt the power cable to the connector. They have an inbuilt fan to keep them cool. And believe me they are really white.

The inner lamp set use a H1, in a removable H2 adapter fitted in the back of the lamp housing. The inners are not part of the MoT, so you have a bit more leeway in what you get.

In those I have fitted an 8000K Xenon lamp, which uses a bit more power than the standard unit. It is a H2 fitting, so fitted in without the adapters. Like the other it also uses an external power adapter uni. To say that they give a white light would be an understatement.  Rolling Eyes Laughing

This photo shows where I attached the adapter power units, and the cables pushed into the original connectors. they were then taped in place and waterproofed:-

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
lskillan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kit worked well for me, passed mot twice now.  H4 - 6000k they have a shroud that opens and closes for main beam, plus the shroud stops the light from being scattered by the pattern glass lens.  Use H1 kit for the inner main beam lights.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264311857161

HTH Lee

(click logo for more details)

Proud owner, LWB 2.8TD L400 1995 Super Exceed.
richjp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - this seems like the most appropriate thread to ask this query. I have just bought a lovely black Delica L400/Space Gear with camper conversion and am having some issues with headlights (getting flashed all the time). Can I first confirm that the 'standard' configuration of headlights with no mods is as follows:

Outer = main/dipped beam = H4 bulbs = 3-pin socket on wiring loom
Inner = full beam = H1 bulbs = 2-pin socket on wiring loom

If that is correct then the mods that have been performed are perhaps a little weird. On mine the main H4 bulbs in the outer have been swapped for bright white LEDs, while these are amazingly bright I get flashed ALL the time. I have noticed also that these outer LEDs have a two-pin connector at the end of the wiring loom. The inners are still yellow H1 bulbs in the H2 adaptor but are using a 3-pin connector at end of wiring loom (even though they obviously only have 2-pins).

So I am trying to figure out what has been done/what is best solution to stop getting flashed and still be good for MOT etc

I am thinking that either:

(a) I am very wrong above and it is the inner's that are usually the main/dipped (rather than full beam), in which case maybe the connectors have just been accidentally attached to wrong bulbs and I can swap them over. This could be a temp solution anyway or is the angle of the inners wrong for this and I will still blind other drivers?

or

(b) I can just switch the LEDs on the outers back to standard H4s for now (I have tried but am wondering if the housing has been butchered a bit as I am not sure I can get them to fit.....) and upgrade to something brighter but not as bright later....

or

(c) it is simply that the angle of the headlights is wrong and I can adjust them down a bit with that long screw in the middle of the housing?

I am also confused as to why the inners are using the 3-pin connector but inners only come on when full beam, if the inners are usually the full beam then have the connectors been swapped over on the wiring looms?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I would LOVE to post pics but not sure the best way to do this - photobucket?

Thanks
Rich
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things spring to mind.

1. Ensure the vehicle is level. Modifications to the suspension may have raised the front end - i.e. a previous owner may have adjusted the torsion bars, lifting the front end up, which has increased the angle the lamps are pointing at.
2. Has the camper conversion increased the weight in the back end, therefore lowering it, which gives the same angle issue for the lamps.

Both of the above may be corrected by replacing old saggy coil springs with new ones HD ones.

Once the vehicle is level then adjust the headlamp to ensure the beam area being lit up is within the pattern area required for the MoT Test.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
richjp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis. It may have been raised a little but doesn't drive soggy or look particular back heavy. I'd like to post pics here - what is the best way?

Is this correct then for the standard headlight setup?

Outer = main/dipped beam = H4 bulbs = 3-pin socket on wiring loom
Inner = full beam = H1 bulbs = 2-pin socket on wiring loom

In which case the three pin connector has been rewired onto the inner (full beam) light loom?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this post for instructions on posting photos:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12958.

OEM setup for the lamps is a H4 Dip / Main beam on the outer lamp, which is the only one tested during an MoT.

The inner is a H1 with a two pin adapter to fit the loom. This also comes on when the outer lamp is switched to main beam.

If you remove the cluster and look at the back you will see that the lamp types are moulded into the casing.

ルイス
richjp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks. Mine appears to have had a headlight module/wiring switch then. The outers now take an H7 with a bit of wiggle room under the clip and certainly not an H4. Outers had LEDs, swapped them for som Osram night breaker H7s (and replaced inner H1s with same). Angle looks all good now for road and obviously keeping the LEDs for off-road ;)
krazyistkarl

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving a bit of an old thread, but I'm looking at ordering some LEDs for the high beams
I'm seeing that the high/ full/ inner beams take an H1 but have an H2 adapter.  Can I order H2's and fit them directly without the adapter? Did I read that correctly?

I'm only after LED high beams, and I'll put higher quality halogen for the dual bulbs so I don't get flashed by oncoming traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: