2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Coniston Meet, 1st-3rd June 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illapulito

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nearby Park Coppice site appears better value for my needs; disability toilets, power hook up, wi-fi.

Coniston Hall seems a bit more rough and ready, nothing against that - although curiously it seems more expensive.

I know we have 4x4 but if it is wet then it is reputed to be quite a boggy site.

All in all, if I make it, at the time of writing I would be more inclined to stay at the other place and otherwise meet up at the pub or wherever during the day.

I had my latest op only yesterday so can't drive for at least two weeks anyway.

and, unfortunately my missus has to go back to Chile just before the end of May.

Hopefully though I will have my new bespoke roof rack with automatic awning attachment ready in time for a first trial trip

the spirit is willing but circumstances mean it will be a late decision; fingers crossed !
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illapullito, you are are correct in thinking this site has basic amenities, and is somewhat rough and ready, the atmosphere is somewhat relaxed and Bohemian, - some would say noisy, so may not be suitable for young families. But it has the advantage that, as it does not take bookings, you can turn up and pay, except on bank holidays - which this is not. The toilet block is at the top of a drive-up slope,  a few yards separate from the main camping area, but I have seen camper vans parked near to it - presumably for convenience. (no joke intended). From there access is fairly level, with perhaps one small step up (6"?) from ground level, as far as I can remember. It is a large site, and after prolonged heavy rain, some areas can be soft, we had no such issues either time I camped there, - last year was in April. Indeed, possibly a greater issue is being able- or not - to get tent pegs into the ground, due to the underlying rock and glacial debris, which may be equally problematic in other sites in the Coniston area. If you decide to camp elsewhere, and come to visit the site, you will have to leave your van at the barrier, the camping field is then another field (about 300 metres) beyond. If you want collecting from the barrier, call me. I'll pm folks attending, my mobile number  in the next 2 weeks or so. Hope you can make it.
Deker

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

illapulito wrote:
Duxy wrote:
Will join you all for this one, one of my favourite camp sites, good chippie and pubs on the doorstep. :D  :D

I read more than a few reviews that commented specifically on the rudeness of the staff at this site.

When I was there with Andy and  Question    I think, 2016  Question   I found the staff to be quite amenable.

Me D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found the staff very friendly, and you only see them for a few minutes as you book in. They leave you alone to enjoy your stay, but can be seen aound the site emptying bins and cleaning out the toiltet blocks.

Apart from the first hundred yards or so, from the vehicle barrier to the camping area the site is mostly on level ground, with good, wide, access around it on tarmaced surfaces. In fact they are wmother and in better condition than the roads where I live.

We walked from our camping areas to the toilet block and the steepest part is easier to walk up is a gentle gradient. Don't think it is a rough access area either as the drive from the main road to the office/ shop area is on a hard tarmac surface.

These two photos are from inside the camping area. As you can see it is flat and the rest of the site can be seen from any area.

The toilet/ shower block is screened off in the trees just above where Ian, Andy and I parked on the second night. From the flat area behind the vehicles it is about 150 yards up the hill to the toilet parking area. If you look in the trees, to the right, and a little bit above Andys raised tailgate, you can make out the lights at the mens end of the block.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said the site is fairly level and well drained and also there are areas near the entrance gate that are hardcore surfaced for motor caravan use if required.
If you have an awning you want to use you may have to try several positions for the hold down pegs as Andy says the bedrock is fairly close to the surface.
I found the staff quite friendly and helpful, not rude in the slightest.
It may be a bit more Expensive than other sites, but that's the Lake District!!

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a day in the Langdales and Coniston area today - superb weather, and obviously, many people about (queued for 25 minutes for fish and chips in Coniston, from 7.00pm, after checking the state of play at Coniston Hall.) Unsurprisingly, it was as full as I had ever seen it, but there were still several areas where you could park five or six Delis together with room for a tent or awning with each van. (Hoathwaite, a small campsite near Torver, had a "Full Up" sign at the entrance). The pleasant lady in the shop/booking office confirmed booking was only necessary for bank holiday weekends and wrote the current prices on their pamphlet - £9.00 per vehicle  + £2 per person. I queried the 'No camp fires' sign, and she assured me that 'off-the-ground- fire bowls or baskets are fine, as long as they don't leave a scorched area. Having walked around the site, I felt like booking in for the night - barbecue smoke, drinks, and the fells on the opposite shore lit by the golden glow of the westering sun. I checked the toilet block too, the hardcore is gently ramped up to floor level at the gents, so wheelchair access is possible. The wash-up area is up a small step, 4", at the  other end of the block. Stubbed my toe on a rock, cycling over the Little Langdale to Tilberthwaite B.O.A.T. Very tricky - no way I'd put my Deli through that - risk of bashing the bottom on rocks, and in one place severe risk of tipping over. A convoy of Defenders, 110s and 90s, led by a 4x4 Experience vehicle and a modern Land cruiser with side steps, seemed to have made it safely though.
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to make this one.
Leaves a few days before the HDRCGB International meet in Llgollen on the next weekend.

Flying Brick Supporter.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping you CAN make it Ian. Get the best of both worlds, and bring the Harley on a trailer!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my voice to positive reviews of the staff - they seemed very nice, polite and helpful.

It's a nice site, and no where near as "rough and ready" as it could be...
Deker

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Hoping you CAN make it Ian. Get the best of both worlds, and bring the Harley on a trailer!

Should I bring my 750 Moto Guzzi  Question  dam-it my trailer is too short  Sad  And it's full of scrap metal.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the 750 Moto Guzzi is already on the trailer ?  Rolling Eyes   :D

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Do you mean the 750 Moto Guzzi is already on the trailer ?  Rolling Eyes   :D

I did say the trailer is too short Evil or Very Mad

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use some of the scrap to make it longer! Smile
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbleft

There you go another bit of wise 're-cycling' advice , from Andy.  :D

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the trailer was scrapped by previous owner. I repaired the suspension by fitting a Mini rear sub frame,
and replaced the draw bar.

My Electric scooter - Electric bike (pulls wheelies  Smile ) - electric traversing elevator - electric air compressor - Diesel air compressor -
shotbasting cabinet, all made from re-cycled materials, with very little new materials purchased.

I'm probably one of the few "Make & Mend" folks left in this country.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wanting a map of the area; i.e. where the campsite is; and Grizedale Forest and Furness Fells, between Coniston Water and Windermere, where the tracks were driven last year. I have done the map below.

The red circle at the top left is the campsite.

The link at the bottom should go alright on an A4 and A3 size.

Download this 4.71MB map  http://u.cubeupload.com/Lewis/MDOCUKConistonHallCa.gif

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Fri May 11, 2018 12:24; edited 2 times in total
andyman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas I'm more of a 'Break and bodge' - type Shocked
paulus
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some more tracks South of Grizedale and East of Windermere that I can show or advise on. Also you could do the same tracks as last year but in the opposite direction as they sometimes have a different feel the other way round....if that makes sense.

I understand the Eagles Head in Satterthwaite has changed hands and the food portions are smaller.....  :?
andyman

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be taking your advice, Paulus, on suitable other tracks. LDNP are making it hard to find legal tracks, and seem to limit numbers, and on particular days, with permits required. There are, however plenty of less restricted tracks in the Shap fells and the North-West Pennines, but a fair trek from Coniston. I checked out Tilberthwaite to Little langdale, and no way would I risk my Delica over it!
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting sorted for this, the gas oven does very good chicken and kebabs, but if we are out and about every day I need good weather as my awning is a bit of a cow to put up and take down daily!!

Flying Brick Supporter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: