4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 electric step Howto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozklee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:37    Post subject: L400 electric step Howto Reply with quote

Hi all
I have cleaned & repaired my electric step on my L400 (series 3) & have created a howto on removal, dismantle & clutch adjustment. It's in PDF format & I'd like to share with the forum for those that maybe having issues with the step. I've uploaded this on the Aussie site & would like to upload here as well.

Can someone please let me know how I can do this or who I can email the PDF to for upload.

Many thanks
Peter
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 18:30    Post subject: Re: L400 electric step Howto Reply with quote

Ozklee wrote:
L400 (series 3)

:? I didn't know there was a Series 3 L400  ?

Uploading links to this website is no different to the Aussie one. Just copy that post and put it on this website, assuming you have the pdf hosted on an external website with a URL hyperlink.

NB: this website server only allows you to ipload your Avatar image for storage. All other media files are whereever you have them hosted, apart from your own PC.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Ozklee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis
I uploaded the PDF to the Aussie site download section. Can't see this on this site.

Series 3 is the later models, Same as series 2 in body shape but with electronically driven fuel pump, updated EGR and model consolidation, that's what we call them here in Oz.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case the Aussie site must have a section on their server that they allow members to upload pdf to, for future downloading. This site doesn't. You will need to have the pdf on an external hosting site, such, as box, or google drive, etc, that it can then be downloaded from. Just like the Workshop manuals that are available from our Tech Faqs section.

What you are calling a series three is a series two? The upgraded fuel pump, from mechanical to electronic, with a modified EGR to fit the pump, an upgrade to the fuel ECU and gearbox ECU and a slight power output from the engine, all came in with the cosmetic changes to the front end bodywork, headlamp clusters and DRL's, in 1996. My Deli is a Series one that was built in 1999, which does not have any series two modifications, other than some of the redundant wiring looms having been removed.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Ozklee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis
Thanks, will look at google drive or similar. Maybe just direct people with a link to the Oz site.

Here are the differences in the S2 to S3 as per the Oz site

S3 has EGR preheater and different arrangement for turbo pipes
S3 has different torsion bars to S1 & S2
S3 has different sway bars dia to that of the earlier models (differences in earlier models as well)
S3 has normally (not always) twin foglights in underbar (which can be a hinderance as they are effective snow plough off road, but good additional lighting on the freeway)
S3 has different more practical trim inside (less fabric on wear areas and the like) more black used.

Anywhere from 6/99 will be a S3. In 2002 there was an anniversary model and some of the fascias etc were changed away from the standard grey or black.

Cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EGR has exhaust gas going into it direct from the exhaust manifold, it doesn't need or have a preheater, how can you possibly preeheat exhaust gas ?

The torsion bars and swaybar (AKA an antiroll bar or Stability bar) have only two sizes standard and heavy duty. They were optional upgrades with the original purchaser selecting which they wanted. Most L400's from Exceed und upward had the HD bars fitted, as did my 1994 Series one SWB Super Exceed.

The same optional upgrade specs applies to the DRL's that were fitted.

There were several special edition models: Green Field, Jasper, Chamonix, 20th Century Anniversary Edition, etc, that had specific setups and trims, but they were still Series one or Series Two models.

At the end of the day, if you read the Mitsubishi annual reports showing what models were made, and how many, they only refer to Series One and Series Two. There is no reference to a Series Three.  Wink

ルイス
annek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guide would be useful rn, did anything ever come of this?

Trying to source a step part, and running out of options here.  It does seem to be still available (from Japan though! at much pennies too!).

I know the auto steps are probs quite rare here in the UK, and certainly not something that Mitsu themselves stock as they have no vehicles here that have anything as fancy as an auto-step.

There are various bits posted around about the auto-steps, but I am also struggling to see anything come up when I search.

All I know is its a 10mm diameter rod of 52cms in legnth (M7 x100 l/h thread), and there's 2.5 cms of thread at either end included in that measurement.

Wonder, as it seems such a simple piece of metal, whether I could adapt something else to fit the bill, or would that risk the electronics accurate detection of it, as at the moment its saying a door is open!  Its not the end of the world with the warning flashing, but it is a bit annoying, and it prevents me from noticing if an actual door is open, like the back not being quite shut, which would be scary!

I don't even know what metal it would be made of, any thoughts, if anyone's around on here!
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try contacting Mitzibits, they had my L400 at the start of the year [big MOT failure] and that had a working side step on it when it went.

Rich
annek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Rich!

Funny that, they were one of my first ports of call, and I do believe they said that they had one, but subsequently said that no, the one they had with a sliding step they had kept for selling!!  Could this have been yours?  It seems possible, being as there are so few around.    This reminds me to go look at the breakers section here, just in case someone may be breaking one (I may have imagined there is a 'breakers' section though!).
annek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see my other posts about this wretched step?

I am trying to also find alternative more leftfield options, a rod of some sort that matches the spec of the branded mitsu one.  The only concern may be that there's an issue with the electronics, because the motor checks all doors and the step to prevent any warning lights coming on, and if a non-branded one is sourced, whether that could interfere in some way with the electronic circuit.

Any ideas would be so appreciated.

thanks
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annek, do you still have the original threaded rod? Any competent lathe machinist/engineering student with access to a decent lathe should be able to make you up a replacement, if you have the original as a pattern, or the precise details of it. Alternatively, have you tried Fils Pajeros in Southampton (they also do Delicas)
annek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its still on the car at the mo.  I did try Fils too, but that was a no sadly.  I wish I knew a competent lathe machinist!  It does seem such a straightforward part to replicate, although I have no idea what the metal composition would be, any thoughts?  Anyone that metal works should be able to cut and thread a rod right?  Concerns around using a non-genuine part because of the electronics, which currently say there's a door open, because the auto-step is not fully retracted and connected to the circuit.

I did see that there's one available in Japan though!  £150 for a 52cm rod!!
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know any model engineering clubs? You'd be amazed how many competent, hobby machinists there are, making incredibly clever stuff in their sheds and garages. And they'd probably do it for you for peanuts. My late father in law was one such. He could make anything.
annek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really appreciating your helpful thoughts, and I certainly do wish I knew such a person, sadly not.  I have found a company that is prepared to make something and charge me some many pounds, after acting on your last helpful thoughts on my outstanding step issue.

I am so glad that this may finally be coming to an end!  My Deli has been gone weeks getting this (and other stuff) done!.  Its all been long since overdue though.

Next I want a replacemnt fascia and dash centrepiece which is badly cracked, but I think that particular bit is the first thing taken off scrapped Deli's for breaking because its so common!

Thanks again.
annek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can report that step glides!

thanks for all of the contributions that got Deli there in the end  Very Happy
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted, even at the cost of many pounds. I know the relief and happiness that a fully functioning Deli brings! And the worry when it's not right. It's a bit like your sick pet dog being restored to full health!
annek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh!  yeah!  You're not wrong there.

That '100 smiles a gallon' is very true right now.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: