4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

ICE system - what's involved?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noirenex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 23:02    Post subject: ICE system - what's involved? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got a load of work planned early spring on the Deli and one of the things i've wanted to get around to once I've finished giving her the face lift is the ICE, I have a tablet and was considering using that docked like theFleured has, in doing so, I'd just need to put some wiring in for the holder, which suggests I don't need to fit quite as fancy a stereo?

I currently have a single DIN ministry of sound radio in there, which is utter pap, doesn't work right. Does this suggest some work may already have been done to rewire it? Is it worth/hard to re-wire the speakers? What about fitting new speakers and an amp?

I don't know anything about sound at all really and considered letting the guys at halfords fit one for me, but wasn't sure, never had audio done in a car before?

My budget will be around 500 maximum for the whole job, inc speakers, amp and unit (Unless I did just the head unit to begin with and saved some more money?)

Any advice on what's good/where to get it done/do it myself?

Starter motor failure! - 2013-07-20
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 23:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend rewiring rather than using the existing loom, it will save you time in the long run and it's not too difficult.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
robaurdu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, after my experience, renew the wiring, do the job properly, and only the once Wink
blippi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the tablet u will need to have it plugged into a stereo headunit with audio inputs or you could wire directly to an amp. As you seem inexperienced stereo wise I think the head unit would be the better way to go an more versatile. Its the way I'm planning to go and means you can still have radio and also use CDs etc.

The fact it has an aftermarket stereo fitted hopefully means the original fitter has fitted the correct wiring adapter as headunits all have a standard ISO connection block. If this is the case swapping the stereo is a simple plug and play job the hardest part being removing the stereo that's fitted.

Extending the cables is easy its just a case of running speaker cable from the ISO block connector to the speakers. Only hard part can be hiding the cables.

Once this was done I would then decide if the sound is good enough for you if you want more you can look into amps tbh my days of amps running sub's are far behind me and find you can have an adequate sound from a system without them, but that's just me.

HTH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it Smile, I'm not really after epic sound, my hearing isn't really that great so I won't benefit from it all too much, but I do know the one fitted at the moment doesn't work quite right and the speakers are looking tired and old and sound fuzzy, so figure it's time to renew with something better.

I got given an FLI Loaded 200 Subwoofer for free so was considering fitting it, but it's a bit big and if I'm planning a camper conversion, every inch of space counts, so will probably leave it out.

With the old wire, is it possible to tie the new wire to it and pull it through so avoid carpet tearing? That being said, I will be replacing the flooring in my Deli with carpet up front and lino in the back this year, so not too big an issue if I have to

Starter motor failure! - 2013-07-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: