4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Which tow bar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J W Sawyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:26    Post subject: Which tow bar? Reply with quote

Hi Guys, :D
When fitting a new tow bar nobody has mentioned whether the rear chromium bull bar has to be removed or whether it can be retained.
I have been considering fitting a bar and want to retain the chromium item if I can. There doesn't appear to be much space between the spare wheel and the bull bar. Can anyone advise? :?

Not being bound by the latest legislation, the material to make my own would cost about £15 + the elctrical items, but I'm not sure if I want the hastle. Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

IanFJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

For the two types of towbar that I have see, including the Towequipe one in mine, the rear bar has to go as the towbar uses the mountings.

Best of luck

IanJ
Michaelr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a receiver hitch towbar to mine, which utilised the rear bump bar mountings. I then cut the brackets off the bump bar, leaving only a bit of the mounting bracket, and welded it onto the tow bar.

Two in one!
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen one Deli' that has managed to retain it's bump bar after fitting a tow bar, can't remember who it belongs to now Rolling Eyes

Was thinking about fitting mine back on but the amount of times I've grounded the tow bar I would have lost it by now Rolling Eyes Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldskool Beat wrote:
I've only seen one Deli' that has managed to retain it's bump bar after fitting a tow bar, can't remember who it belongs to now Rolling Eyes

Was thinking about fitting mine back on but the amount of times I've grounded the tow bar I would have lost it by now Rolling Eyes Laughing

Twas I Beat Wink

I'll look for a picture....

Found one taken a couple of years back.... Before I raised the electrics sockets etc and gave the towbar itself a coat of paint...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:53    Post subject: Which tow bbar Reply with quote

Hi Guys, :D
Thanks for the comments.

At a glance the fixings for the nudge bar do not appear to be sufficient for attaching a load bearing tow bar. However, I stand to be corrected as it would seem that these fixings have been used for commercially manufactured tow bars? :o

I thought that the best fixing position for a load bearing bar would be the two box chassis box sections, either side of the spare wheel mounting, which already appear to have fixing holes. Question This may mean a more complicated fit but possibly a stronger job and I also believe that the nudge bar can be retained helping to disguise the tow bar. Wink

As far as grounding is concerned, I do not intend introducing my "Babe" to the "Hippo" environment - what ever next?????? Shocked
IanFJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, the box sections are used to take the main load but the rear bar location point are used to locate the towbar vertically.

IanJ
J W Sawyer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:00    Post subject: Which tow bar Reply with quote

Thanks Ian,
I must " get my finger out", buy some material and get on with the job.

I'll append some pics with my next mail to show interested parties how I get on - may be a while though. Wink

Halfords sell all the necessary electrical bits and their prices appear to be competitive.
J W Sawyer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 15:33    Post subject: Which tow bar? Reply with quote

Hi Guys Smile
I've taken my finger out - bought the material, two electrical sockets, duel purpose relay, cabling and paint for approx £45.00. :D

My idea was to retain the existing chrome nudge bar with it's fixing, and achieve a tow hitch ball centre height of around 400mm. Idea

I used 65mm angle iron attached to the chassis box section, cut and welded 50mm square tube to the angle iron and I managed to bring it round and under the nudge bar, picking up the 4 vertical fixings for the nudge bar on the way. 8)

The small stowage compartment, rear near side, made an ideal place to install all the necessary electrical items. Tow hitch height ended up at 370mm, giving the caravan a slight nose down stance.

I have some pics, but I'm not sure how to attach. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: