Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Water under the carpets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:38    Post subject: Water under the carpets Reply with quote

Last summer, when I got "the shed", (love that term, Saint Smile ), I noticed after a month or so that there was loads of water under the carpets.
And I'm talking about virtual rivers of water, needing a sponge and bucket to clean up Shocked

I checked all the window seals etc., no probs, and concluded it must be something to do with the aircon.

Yep, over winter, without the aircon, it's all as dry as a bone. :D

Now, anticipating the need for aircon soon, does anyone know if this is something one just has to live with, ( a neighbours Ford has the same problem and he was told it's normal), or might there be a blocked drainpipe somewhere Question Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek
I'm not too familiar with the aircon setup on the L400s but in principal it is the same as the pajero just diffrent setup,When you have the aircon on do you notice a puddle of water under the motor sort of near the front left wheel?or possibly towards the centre should see a small bore clear pipe protruding out there somehwere, If so then this is the discharge pipe for the condensed water to leave the system,However if your not gettin the pooling (normally whilst stationary you will notice it)then it sounds as tho the discharge pipe from the evaporator,now the evaporator should be located behind the glovebox/centre console area (glovebox on a paj)and it will look like a large whiteish box (more off white)there should be a wiring harness 2 connections for pipe (in/out) and the drain line connection the drain line connection should be directly underneath the line in/line out connections more likely at the back of the unit,you should be able to remove the drain connection depending on access levels of course but this could be the most likely culprit,it could even be a case of the connection coming off when a stereo has been fitted maybe,(obviously depending on the location of the evaporator) i hope thats all it is a disconnected tube at worst it could be blocked at either inside level or even at discharge level underneath the Delica,if you locate the tube underneath get an old coathanger or the like and just have a poke around up the pipe and see if any rubbish/debris comes out on the end.hope this helps you sorry for waffling all the best

BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO UNDO ANY OF THE HIGH/LOW PRESSURE CONNECTIONS AS THIS WILL DISCHARGE THE AIRCON GAS!

Marc 8)

Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,

sounds very much like it could be a blocked/pinched pipe.
I was lining myself up for a package of work on "the shed" next weekend.

(Stuck with decorating the frontroom this weekend Crying or Very sad )

I need to repair the centre console and that'll be an ideal opportunity to inspect the condensor. It was broken when I got it and I suspect the dealer might have bodged things up behind it.

I'll write up my findings.

Ah, yes, got to go to the club shop and buy an EGR blank.
I'm also going to try the idea (yours?) of packing the the actuator wastegate with a few washers.

Cheers for now,
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,

taken out the centre console, glovebox, and floorlevel central "skirt" to investigate the aircon.

Behind the glove box is a dark grey box labelled "Cooler Unit".
Wonder what that's for Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

There's a thumping great off-white unit it attaches to which fills up all of the central area behind the console.
This has got all the levers etc. coming from it for the ventilation controls.

I can't see a drainpipe anywhere :?

One comforting thought is that there's no sign of any staining from dripping water, quite the reverse, everything is covered with a very dry film of very old dust Smile

I think I might need to check the rear aircon next.
There's a "girt big" box about midway back underneath the righthand side. Doesn't look as if anythings blocked but again, I can't see a drainpipe Sad

Keep you posted, cheers for now.

p.s. fitted the EGR blank in about five minutes Exclamation
Am now thinking, dummy, why didn't I do it six months ago and save all that money on fuel Embarassed
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally there's been decent enough weather to try out the aircon Laughing

I've only had the front going and, thankfully, there's no damp floors and a little puddle on the driveway which was nothing to do with the dogs Embarassed Smile

Sooooooooo, it must be the rear aircon that's wetting itself Sad
Anyone dug around back there and knows where the drainpipe ought to be for the condensor?

Cheers
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek. :D
Quote:
Anyone dug around back there and knows where the drainpipe ought to be for the condensor

If i remember correctly the rear drain off and rear condenser/aircon assy is under the left side sort of inline with the step,if you poke your head under you will see the aircon cooling rad and i think its just by that as when i had the rears on i had a puddle in that area (outside tho) also there is a pipe on the right side sort of below where the aircon controls are in the rear ,Can't really be any more specific than that tho Sad wish i could but hopefully that will help you locate the possible problem,what part of the motor are the carpets gettiung wet matey? front back or both or just one area inparticular, hopefully we can pinpoint it to one location and try to narrow down where and what is causing it,hope this helps all the best

Marc 8)

petemillis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repairing centre console - speak to me....just fixed mended mine perfeckly this weekend. Took half hour, no more rattles and cost a few quid instead of £90 for replacement!
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

have you "cross clicked" and responded to a different post :? Shocked Smile

Marc,

last year the water was definitely predominant in the the back, from behind the rear seats, backwards.

I want to keep the "shed" in one piece until after next weekend's meet but after that I'm thinking of taking out the rear carpet and underlay entirely. I'll then run the rear aircon until I find where the water comes from (or not).

I will have a nose around underneath, as per your suggestions, in the meantime.

Cheers
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey derek i think pete was referring to this in one of your posts above
Quote:
I need to repair the centre console
Shocked i thought in the end you brought a new one didn't you from brighton mitsubishi?or am i thinking of another member up your neck of the woods?

You say its from the rear seats back ? i take it you mean the bench seat?in the middle row?if so then that would roughly line up with where the aircon setup is underneath the motor,so it could well be a blocked/loose damaged discharge pipe,it Can't be anything other than the discharge else the aircon wouldn function,hopefully by lifting the carpets it will reveal the lil blighter,but in the meantime ile have a poke around under mine and get an exact location and route of the discharge pipes.hth

Marc 8)

Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,

yep, you're right, I did get a new centre console from Brighton Mitsu and Peter was right in responding to this thread.

Mind you, if he's found a way to save 90 odd quid I'll be a little p1ssed off Evil or Very Mad

And I wasn't quite exact with my location of the water.
It was from behind the rear of the front seats, backwards.

I reckon they're making the Scotch more potent nowadays.
I never had this trouble with worms :? words a few years ago Laughing
petemillis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mended my console using fibreglass tape (the mesh stuff you use for plasterboard joints) on the rear of the cracked areas. Got it all matched up and used a hot glue gun. The tape gives the repair strength and the glue bond it all together like in a composite. While I was at it I filled the gap between the metal support and the plastic part of the console with silicone sealant so now no rattles.
Strengthwise it's better than new. All that can be seen is hairline cracks on the face of the repair but I'm thinking of spraying the console anyway in Laguardia silver - bling,bling!
petemillis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention - cost £0 as I already had the glue gun, ape and sealant. I've bought plenty of new entre consoles in the past but had sent them all out to other club members and didn't keep one for myself Embarassed
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 'pink grip' to do mine Laughing Laughing See my band expander photos to see Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't pink grip what you use to hold yer dentures in?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: