4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

need advice for removing diesel stains from my precious Deli

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 18:57    Post subject: need advice for removing diesel stains from my precious Deli Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question, but one that needs to be asked.

How do I easily remove the diesel stains from beneath my filler cap. The bodywork on my Deli is silver by there and it looks so unsightly. I tried using neat fairy liquid and a green plastic scouring pad and it doesn't shift it. I do have other things to hand, ie, industrial grafiti remover but I'm scared to spray that on as the Deli may just fizzel away in front of my very own eyes !

Happy new Year to everyone by the way...and thanks to Mystery or lewis for answering my last new thread which i can't remember.....don't know where it is and what it was about either sorry..

Notty
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 18:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Foxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm.....I wonder if WD40 might do it?

.....and was it you?  The biker in me says try filling more carefully  Twisted Evil  Wink

Hope you get it sorted asap :D

Best Wishes,

Foxy
kenr1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8,
Just gunk on it, sorry that should be use some gunk on it  :D  :D , then polish and a good wax. :D  :D

HTH
Ken  :D
kenr1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Forgot to say, if the gunk does not take it off/out, you will need to polish it out I would also recommend Meguiars stage 1 & 2, stage 1 is the cleanser, stage 2 is the polish.
Ta
Ken
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:24    Post subject: Re: need advice for removing diesel stains from my precious Reply with quote

notty wrote:
How do I easily remove the diesel stains from beneath my filler cap.

1. Buy =

2. Spray round and under back of cap.

3. Give it a good wipe round, with a bottle brush (or similar)  to dislodge any thick residue.

4. Clean body panels as required in a similar way.

5. Ensure fuel tank cap is fastened tightly.

6. Wash down with running water, which may turn white to indicate oil present.

7. Repeat as and when required.

HTH  :D

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
2wdsteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

we used baby wipes ,  i thought the same when i was told , but it works

cheers

steve
Foxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

....which leads me to ponder Twisted Evil   ...what do you use on ............  nah....never mind..... Laughing
LS20
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never underestimate the powers of a baby wipe.

How great to be
a fish or a duck
Swim round all day
and not give a flip
bradburypizza
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use car plan tar remover works a treat
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

baby wipes are ace they shift all sorts (ball pen on paintwork, ball pen from carpets, finger residue from paintwork - like banisters - finger residue from computer keyboards in fact almost anything) makes you wonder what they do to baby's doesn't it!

I even keep a pack in the car and a pack by my desk at work - wouldn't be without em (even without the baby!)
2wdsteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wondered what this might start lol

steve
notty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I can see the gunk thing the first option as I remember its great stuff.....no baby wipes here, the kids have grown up soooo fast!

I wonder if there's anything on the market that i can spray or wipe on the area beneath the filler cap that will repel such grime so i don't have to get my elbow grease out next time. All answers welcome, but not on a postcard, there's enough junk coming through my mailbox as it is lol.

It didn't seem to bad during the late summer and autumn, maybe it's just because of all of the traffic film out there....

Thanks everyone for your answers

Notty

PS Perhaps I'll try not to spill any diesel next time I fill up, the problem is I have an Obsessive Compulsive disorder to keep my Deli full to the brim......yes I know before you ask...its a bit weird but that's me.......
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

notty wrote:
PS Perhaps I'll try not to spill any diesel next time I fill up, the problem is I have an Obsessive Compulsive disorder to keep my Deli full to the brim......yes I know before you ask...its a bit weird but that's me.......

Laughing If you look inside the top of the filler tube you can see the overflow/breather pipe to the side of the pipe.  Make a habit of not filling any higher than than!  Then give the nozzle a shake before you take it out to stop anything splashing on the bodywork.  Alternatively you can get some clear plastic film, used on maps etc, from a stationary shop ten cut and fix some of that to the panel section.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Foxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but better FOR ALL CONCERNED if you don't spill any in the first place  Twisted Evil  Cheaper and cleaner for You too!  :D  :D  :D
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

must admit Iam careful in all our vehicles ( we are a 'fuel of the devil' household) fillin them partly because it makes a mess, but more importantly because i have ridden bikes and i KNOW how slippy a fairly small amount of diesel on a damp roundabout is - if you have ever had wheel spin on a roundabout in a car and thought 'crikey i didn't think i had stepped on the loud peddle that hard' the odds are you just found diesel on a wet road - on a bike its *much*more interesting!

Now I know the amount of diesel your talking isn't likely to be much, and its far more likely to come from a lorry (or more likely 'satans hatchback' - or a bus as they are commonly known) where they are overfilled and you get a pool on top of the tank (until they go round a corner or stop sharply at which point its all over the road!), but I think its down to all of us to do our part and ensure we don't contribute and its seen as the totally anti-social practice it is (its as bad as drink driving in my book!)

rant over....
Foxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fed up of getting the damn stuff on my hands when I fill up too!  Laughing  And slipping on foot...and getting it inside my lovely Deli.......

....and I did come off my bike on diesel....... Evil or Very Mad
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a big problem with a nosy, officious, neighbour complaining about oil deposits on the road, which I knew were not caused by me.  So one day when she was out gardening I got out my pressure washer, filled the soap container with Gunk and set to for close on 90 minutes doing the area to the front of my flat.

The road, Kerbstones and footpath all got the treatment and were gleaming when I had finished.  The next day I went off for two weeks to Spain, in my Deli.  When I got back the road was as bad as before I cleaned it up.  I went knocking on her door and made her fully aware of the fact I had been away and the road was mucked up, and I wouldn't be cleaning it again unless I spilled something myself.  She hasn't said a thing since.  Laughing

It seems the problems were caused by local council vehicles who park in front of my flat whilst I am away filming etc, during the day, I actually thought it was another neighbour, who thought it was another neighbour, but had spotted the culprits whilst I was off due to the obvious black patches standing out so much.

ルイス
billy bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

never come off the bike on diesel, but do remember 1 Thursday night (around midnight)just on my way back from the dorset meet(where i met myself as no one else turned up (rusty:lol:)) takeing first exit off roundabout (fuel station on roundabout with only 1 exit that makes you go straight onto roundabout(can you see where its going Laughing ) well at about 50mph in 3rd or 4th (Can't remember now) the back wheel let go, well being well tiered (doing 800miles in 2 nights after work) i thought sod it this is fun so stayed on the loud "peddle", well a couple of hundred yards later at(well lets just say it must have been a private road) above Deli top wack the back wheel finaly came back straight, in light of day it was very silly and i was lucky, as reactions were slow due to fatige. But it was fun Laughing  Laughing
97 red/black/silver honda CBR 1000 F
96 blue fiesta ghia auto
Foxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
I had a big problem with a nosy, officious, neighbour complaining about oil deposits on the road, which I knew were not caused by me.  So one day when she was out gardening I got out my pressure washer, filled the soap container with Gunk and set to for close on 90 minutes doing the area to the front of my f

Well done Lewis!  Laughing
Foxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyBob... Shocked  Laughing Reminds me when I "lost" a 7.5 tonner on a roundabout...I think THAT must have been diesel on a wet road. Now THAT was scary. Thank g*d no one else was on the roundabout!  Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: