Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

1/4 tank 43 miles OUCH

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

well from what I can gather my engine runs well and every one with a Delica who has driven it says its smooth,

I get 24MPG on average, more if I drive Miss Daisy or on pure motorway driving, not much less round town as I force it to change up.

My TPS is at 1.1 Volts incase that helps and my EGR is as standard.

also running with the A/C on in the summer seems to make very little difference, if any.
in fact driving down the motorway with the sun roof open uses more fuel than the A/C

and yes the russian book from the link...

its in the Engine Book (section 11) second half,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 23:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

primate1970
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always get one of these to follow you about????? Laughing
CLICK HERE

(Link shortened by Moderator)
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for longer runs

CLICK HERE

thats a cool site !
notty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled my Deli to the brim the other week and after 3 weeks of use ( only 6 miles a day maximum not even letting the engine get warm hardly, had to fill it back up today at a cost of £42 after 3 weeks. That's 126 miles for £42.....perhaps I need to walk !

notty
TyrantinTruro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

notty, i would check for leaks mate,thats not good (no need to tell you ) i once had to drive flat out 200 mile round trip that used £40.00 (this was 2 years ago when £40.00 was £40.00). a cold diesel engine is never economical, so you have to take it easy untill its up to normal temperature
bulldoggy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set the pump timing you need a dial test indicator that screws into the back of the pump vi an adapter (which I have ). Haven't done mine coz I haven't worked out how to get the adapter and dti in to a space the size of a fag paper yet. It fits on the pump in the center of the four injector out let pipes. Also you need to have a new crankshaft pully fitted coz it relies on movement from the crankshaft pully to measure this.

Old advice from landy is if it smokes black its to far retarded and if it smokes white its too far advanced. I would suggest taking it somewhere with an exhaust gas anylizer and getting the pump set up that way(possibly )

Of course I may have got the retarded advanced bit wrong but I do know you can tell from exhaust smoke coz I set up my landy this way and got a gawd thats clean from mot station.
notty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

touching wood as i type....no leaks here.....just engine never gets chance to get warm really especially with the cold mronings we've been having.   still touching wood...she's still as reliable as ever......

I'm happy anyway....I get to drive around in my Deli like the lord of the manor and nothing will stop me.....until i run out of money lol
RichardK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

notty wrote:
touching wood as i type....no leaks here.....just engine never gets chance to get warm really especially with the cold mronings we've been having.   still touching wood...she's still as reliable as ever......

I'm happy anyway....I get to drive around in my Deli like the lord of the manor and nothing will stop me.....until i run out of money lol

Dude, get a bicycle. 6 miles in any vehicle is downright irresponsible :D

More seriously: Whoever put their tyres to 40PSI - did you check they're rated for that? Mine weren't, I was going to do that but they're rated for 35 only. Whilst I'm sure they'd take it, it's not worth the risk IMO.

Diesel timing: Don't you get knock if the timing is a bit out? I seem to get some knock.

Original fuel issue: Veg oil is getting expensive and it is Winter. Also, additives are pricey. My Delica loves BP Ultimate Diesel, runs with less knocking, quieter, pulls better and gives better economy - to the point where I will seek it out now because a tank of it might cost me a fiver more or so, but it's better than a tank of anything else (hates Shell for some reason) and £10 of Wynns, or even £6 of something else smelly to pour in the tank. If you're getting 18mpg, and running it on BP Ultimate gives you the more typical 25-30mpg, then it's going to work out cheaper and less hassle overall.

How is your thermostat, btw? If the car takes a while to warm up, it might not actually get properly warm when being driven at a cold time of year (actually, is the viscous fan working okay too? There will be some drag from that if it is sticking). My Sera had a stuck open thermostat and it actually got cold enough when being driven in February that the overdrive locked out as if the car had just been started and was stone cold!

"Osiris" - Citroën C6 HDi
Plus A-class and MX5 shared.
ns1444

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to diesel from the pump, its properly refined, won't clog up filters, won't wreck your pump and its a lot less hassle than messing about with vegetable oil. And since the Chinese are increasing car production at an alarming rate, and the Yanks don't give a toss about pollution, sticking vegetable oil in your tank won't make a bit of difference on enviromental grounds. Well thats my opinion  Wink Lets face it, if you've got a Delica the enviroment is not your no. 1 concern  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  

Nigel.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardK it was me with the 40PSI and the tyres appear to go upto 50 so should be fine.

As for BP Ultimate it isn't too readily available around here and to be honest normal diesel is 108.9 at the nearest BP station so daren't look how much more Ultimate is, Scotty15 has been experimenting with Premium Diesels in his Disco and said his runs far better and appears to give better fuel economy but I will wait and see as this is fairly recent and don't want to be paying even more through the nose than I already am. At the end of the day I would prefer to run 100% SVO if I could to reduce the emmisions etc so at least I am doing my bit even if others aren't.

As I was running 70/30 SVO, all be it for one tank only the beast had become a b.tch to start so gone back to pure Derv for now at least until I can get replacement glo plugs to give it that little bit extra.

I would like to replace the Busbar with individual ht lead also to give it more oomph, so it anyone has done this could you let me know your findings.....please

My Delica Album
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisfoster1971 wrote:
RichardK it was me with the 40PSI and the tyres appear to go upto 50 so should be fine.

As for BP Ultimate it isn't too readily available around here and to be honest normal diesel is 108.9 at the nearest BP station so daren't look how much more Ultimate is, Scotty15 has been experimenting with Premium Diesels in his Disco and said his runs far better and appears to give better fuel economy but I will wait and see as this is fairly recent and don't want to be paying even more through the nose than I already am. At the end of the day I would prefer to run 100% SVO if I could to reduce the emmisions etc so at least I am doing my bit even if others aren't.

As I was running 70/30 SVO, all be it for one tank only the beast had become a b.tch to start so gone back to pure Derv for now at least until I can get replacement glo plugs to give it that little bit extra.

I would like to replace the Busbar with individual ht lead also to give it more oomph, so it anyone has done this could you let me know your findings.....please

Try blueprint glow plugs... has transformed my starting... even on 50% veg it starts first time as soon as the heater plug light goes out.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be getting some off Simon I hope as want some Diamonds anyway and I believe you get these if you buy from the club....I think

My Delica Album
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

primate1970 wrote:
you could always get one of these to follow you about????? Laughing
CLICK HERE

Another similar site: http://www.witham-sv.com/index1.html Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: