4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

1/4 tank 43 miles OUCH

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:35    Post subject: 1/4 tank 43 miles OUCH Reply with quote

Help !!

Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking. I decided to use the beast to go to work this morning and wished I hadn't. It has just used quarter of a tank at a steady 70mph to do 43 miles.

I am currently running 70/30 Diesel/SVO for the first time, does anyone know if this is normal. Also it was an absolute pig to start this morning which it never has been whilst on pure DERV.

My Delica Album
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TyrantinTruro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

the colder it gets the thicker the veg oil gets hence harder to start, if its down near the bottom of the tank the higher the concentration of veg oil.if you have a large container try mixing the veg oil with a bit of unleaded and then add some diesel to it and shake untill its well mixed, as it won't mix very well in the tank
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you went a bit slower it drinks a lot less.
Philbski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yojimbo, What a profound statement!
RichardK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4 tank is a meaningless measurement. My car can do 100 on the first 1/4 (helped in part by a 12% overread on the speedo) but often only does about 50 on the half to 1/4 left section.

As for doing 70, that's hardly pushing the old bus. My economy doesn't seem to drop much even when I'm holding 85 on the motorway (real, not indicated).

"Osiris" - Citroën C6 HDi
Plus A-class and MX5 shared.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I will down to about the warning light time by the time I get home so 100% DERV then for me...and millers diesel additive of course.

But this can't be right when i calculated 18mpg a couple of weeks ago I thought that was awful but this is kinda "well its time to get rid" territory which I don't want to do.

Does anyone know if the pump timing can have this drastic affect as we did the pump seals a few weeks back I know the timing was exactly as it came off but is there anything to adjust like on a carburetor motor ??

My Delica Album
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philbski wrote:
Yojimbo, What a profound statement!

Thanks  Wink my point being that above 55/60 and the economy realy starts to suffer - what with it being brick shaped. Recentl I had to make a 50 mile round trip, that I often make, but normally I have a time limit to do it in, so I push the old girl, this time I was much more leisurely, and the difference in consumption was obvious.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider 70mph to be out of the ordinary to be honest especially on the M1, if anything I may well have been the slowest thing on it at that time...

Had I been doing 85+ I would accept the consumption but this is rudy awful

My Delica Album
Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank guage increments isn't the best way to measure mpg.  Razz  You need to measure litres used against miles done and it need to be over a few 'fill-ups' to get a reasonable idea.

If the Deli's engine is set up right you should still get high 20s with steady 70mph motorway driving.

:D
MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
keanaz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 18:45    Post subject: no way you did 70MPH on the M1 Reply with quote

or was it very late at night?
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really did do 70mph on the M1 but it was 5.15 in the morning  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

My Delica Album
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of things....

I have run 30% veg dino mix with no real detriment to MPG, yes it may be a pig to start on veg but once it warms up no difference to Dino.

Try new ADL (blueprint) plugs, I have just swapped, look in the starting section for my post.

try filling with 21L of veg oil then straight away fill up with Dino to the neck, then repeat when you next fill up, from that work out your MPG.

IF it is bad..... try changing your fuel filter, do you have smoke ? is it changing gear okay ?

bare in mind that veg oil has 15% less calorific value than Dino so like for like performance will give you slightly less MPG, but I run on Veg (now 50% mix) so drive for MPG rather than MPH, on Motorway the difference between 60 and 70 MPH is noticable, as is having 26PSI instead of 34PSI in your tyres.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I was talking to the wife earlier about getting some new plugs and possibly injectors if I can stretch to it and see what difference that makes. I have only just replaced the filters so don't think that is doing anything to blow things up. I have only used Morrisons rapseed oil so far with 12l of the stuff when I got down to 3/4 tank as I didn't want to push it too much. Lewis has mentioned that he used it with no detrement so took his advise but I am wanting to try corn oil as it seems people think it runs quieter. To be honest speed isn't that important, lets face it if it was I wouldn't be driving a Deli now would i  Wink As mine is rather sluggish anyway as I don't want it to drink like a fish. I have a good source of WVO but don't know what I could do to refine it back into a usable state and what would be involved.

It does smoke "white" when I start and then if i floor it, it does a bond style smoke screen for me but only when my foot becomes heavy. It does change gear okay aslong as the engine isn't reving to high, eg today I say between 65-70 at 2000-2200 rpm and it was drinking like a fish.

If you are using SVO mix is there anyway to boost the calorific value with additives ? I currently use Millers Diesel treatment

My Delica Album
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worth additive in veg mix IMO... the idea is to run cheap !

I have recently fitted new injectors, uprated ones from diesel Bob.

Mine does not smoke except on inital start up, the big puff of black smoke, other than that I can floor it and no smoke,
Lewis should be able to confirm as he has been behind me.

If you have had the pump out then a fraction out can make a big difference, as can sticking brakes !

veg oil on its own at the mix you have done is not the cause IMO
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i will bite - how do you KNOW if the pumps out and what procedure do you use for getting it right....

i know I'm going to regret this one!
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am positive the pump went back exactly where it came out, as the marks were all lined up when it went back in.

Is there anyway of checking the timing of the pump etc to get the best out of it?

I can only presume that because the seals are new the pump is working slight differently, so the timing could be out couldn't it ??

My Delica Album
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not only timing as i understand it but adjustment on the fueling....you know one day i AM going to buy the Haynes diesel book just so i know what I'm talking about a bit more!
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

if only it was like the good ole SU's on the Mini's I could play with those all day.

I imagine you can loosen the two bolts at the back and move it slightly to make a difference but which way ??

Where is Cheifie when you need him

My Delica Album
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.... how to set a pump...

it varies a bit, not sure exactly on the Delica, but some engines use a DTI (Dial Test Indicator) Gauge to ensure the pump is lined up correctly.

I believe there are timing marks on the cam, crank and pump, all these would need to be exactly lined up, by exact a half tooth out on the timing chain could be enough to be off. That is why I will not do my own pump as I have not got a DTI gauge and the bottom pulley is not reliable for TDC.

there will be some one on here who will know how to set a pump and engine from scratch, I never trust timing marks even on a petrol engine, I would always line up using marks on the cam shaft and crank (not pulley).

Had a quick flick through the Russian site and there are instructions on how to set the pump relating to a piston (inside the pump) TDC and a DTI Gauge...
also instructions on how to adjust the injectors, they are servicable !

Now....

If the pump is not perfectly timed up its like a car with the dizzy out a bit but instead of pinking you get smoke ! and just like a dizzy on a petrol a little bit out gives a little smoke more so under load.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to dig out the russian manual, I take it you mean the ones posted on the russian site for the 4M40 engine etc. It does make sense what you are saying I will have to have a word with Scotty and see if he has a DTI and have a go at it, as with the consumption at 18mpg I will only be able to use it now and again....which is a waste when it is such good fun.

BTW I had got really low PSI in the tyres but have now got 40psi in all tyre now.....

My Delica Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: