Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Towing weights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Barker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 21:50    Post subject: Towing weights Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy one of these beasties in the not too distant future but need to confirm maximum tow weights and nose weight so that I can make sure it's okay to tow my caravan. Presumably getting a tow bar isn't difficult, do you get many people knowing what they are or is it a case of "what's a Delica"
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 21:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

-Crewzin-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is loads here that know the tow weights. as for the tow bar Ebay have them lised. i fitted one and was very easy.. you won't be dissapointed. they are a lovely motor and tow a dream.

Gordon.
SHUG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 23:09    Post subject: TOWING Reply with quote

HI
Towing with the beast is brilliant i have a big bailey and it tows it brilliant just back from dover and going tomorrow morning to blackpool.
Rob Barker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 14:39    Post subject: towing weights Reply with quote

It's the noseweight that bothers me a bit, I tow a Lunar Lexon CD which is currently around 115kg on the nose, I was wondering whether the weight was lower for the Delica. Have been sat in 1 today and had a good poke around, it makes me want 1 even more now
Thevanwizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 15:09    Post subject: tows lovely Reply with quote

i have got an 18' boat with inboard engine and you can't tell it is behind you at 60 mph i got my towbar from Towequipe (phone no 024 76328040 )part no 705 for £99 inc delivery and fitted it mysely

we grow old because we stop playing.

The van in front is a Big TOYMOTA
www.bigtoymota.co.uk
wemfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

These figures are for an L300, the L400 may be more.
The Mitsubishi max tow weight is 3500KG, this is based on what it can just about pull from stand still up a 7% hill, it is illegal to tow more than this weight.
The caravan clubs recommend the safe weight to tow should not exceed 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle. My L300 weighs 2200KG so 85% = 1870KG.
I think that most cars towing caravans are over that 85% weight. The 80% recommendation makes little sense to me for experienced towers, as an articulated lorry must be towing about 600% safely! If you are an inexperienced tower then probably best to stick to the 1870 KG
Sorry I Can't remember the maximum nose weight but as the maximum payload is 700kg it is probably higher than most cars, I would guess about 125 KG, if your nose weight is above that move some of the load in your caravan back a few feet, I put the gas bottles in my Delica to reduce the nose weight as that helps a lot.

See the link below

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Practical+Help/UK+Technical+Advice+and+Info/Outfit+Matching/
-Crewzin-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe Oldschool Beat tows a twin axel lunar!

i used to tow a 24 foot burstner behind a rover 827 and was within the limits so i would guess a Delica could tow anything long enough to be towed on the brittish roads.

Regards Gordon.
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

_-Crewzin-_ wrote:
i believe Oldschool Beat tows a twin axel lunar!
Regards Gordon.

Its a Lunar but a single axel 18footer.
Pulls with no problems at all.
I recon that if yer Can't tow it with a Deli' you Can't tow it at all Wink 8)
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Rob Barker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 13:36    Post subject: towing weights Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers guys, I've been towing caravans for the last 9 years and before that towed racing cars all around the country/Europe so I reckon that I'm a prety experienced tower. The lunar that I've currently got has a MTPLW of 1800 kg and I tend to stick to the loading margin (except when returning from the continent with my personal allowance of wine!)
hairyben

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

wemfish wrote:
These figures are for an L300, the L400 may be more.
The Mitsubishi max tow weight is 3500KG, this is based on what it can just about pull from stand still up a 7% hill, it is illegal to tow more than this weight.
The caravan clubs recommend the safe weight to tow should not exceed 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle. My L300 weighs 2200KG so 85% = 1870KG.
I think that most cars towing caravans are over that 85% weight. The 80% recommendation makes little sense to me for experienced towers, as an articulated lorry must be towing about 600% safely!

yeah but with artics the tractors are designed to not just pull that load but handle it too, the trailers are braked and part of the trailer load is borne by the tractor, so the whole load weight is acting as downforce on the brakes... if a Deli pulling an unbraked 4 ton hits the brakes you've got 6 ton of inertia pushing forward but only two ton of that is downforcing on the braked surfaces... thus the trailer is at risk of pushing a skidding Deli down the road, or more likely overtaking it.

now gone Sad

merc vito 120- eaten 2 EGR's in 6k bandhead
wemfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it is illegal to tow more than 500 kg or 50% unbreaked
alan S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that aint just a hand brake on the camargue or we would all be in the poo!
for the record at a certain weight (?) all trailers HAVE to be braked! all caravans are over and are fitted with brakes.

Rob
As you may well know we all share engines and running gear with some variables in the engine. As you are used to the 2.8 you should find the performance about the same, the Deli's a bigger brick to push through the air and a bit heavier I believe, with a base model weight of 2020 Kgs
a higher ride platfom does give more body roll and strong crosswinds can make things scary. we have followed a 2.8 L200 and kept pace with ease on the Exeter/ Oakhampton length of the A30 at 60+.
Simply to say sensibly of course if a Paj can do it then the Deli will with eight bodies on board and with a little more comfort.
our car change from an Estima was to be a Paj but the Deli won on the basis of REAL rear seats, comfort and the space available.

Your nose weight seems high having said that so is the Camargue it is naturally nose heavy (Bailey put an extra 12inches on the replacement to balance) around 85Kg, not many cars handle 90 + Kgs.

Good hunting for the right Exceed /Super or Royal

Regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
founding member? of the rollover group
hairyben

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan S wrote:
I'm glad that aint just a hand brake on the camargue or we would all be in the poo!
for the record at a certain weight (?) all trailers HAVE to be braked! all caravans are over and are fitted with brakes.

I didn't realise, now I look a t!t. Just ignore me. what can I say, I'm too cool for caravanning... nah I've towed allsorts including a 2+ ton compressor and just assumed coz there was no brake to hookup it didn't have one.

Totally off topic- so how legal was our (but certainally not mine!) transit towing another transit towing a compressor then? Transits "connected" by that old electricians favourite, several yards of 35mm SWA cable...

how do caravan brakes work then, just an on/off with the brake light? I assumed brakes would have to work in conjunction (ie variable pressure) with the tow vehicle.

now gone Sad

Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

hairyben wrote:
how do caravan brakes work then, just an on/off with the brake light? I assumed brakes would have to work in conjunction (ie variable pressure) with the tow vehicle.

Here's a bit taken from the Ifor Williams site http://www.iwt.co.uk/home.htm

How do the brakes work?

The system is entirely mechanical in operation. The brakes are applied by the movement of the coupling "drawtube" as the trailer moves forward towards the towing vehicle. The rear of the drawtube pushes against a lever. The force is converted through the lever to a pull on a system of rods and cables to transmit the force to brake units - one behind each wheel. The brake units operate by forcing two brake shoes outwards against brake drums.

Think it explains it better than I would Rolling Eyes Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
hairyben

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldskool Beat wrote:
The system is entirely mechanical in operation. The brakes are applied by the movement of the coupling "drawtube" as the trailer moves forward towards the towing vehicle. The rear of the drawtube pushes against a lever. The force is converted through the lever to a pull on a system of rods and cables to transmit the force to brake units - one behind each wheel. The brake units operate by forcing two brake shoes outwards against brake drums.[/i]

Think it explains it better than I would Rolling Eyes Laughing

oh isn't that clever! Thanks, I just learnt something! Mr. Green

I shouldn't be so proud...

now gone Sad

Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hairyben"]
alan S wrote:
Totally off topic- so how legal was our (but certainally not mine!) transit towing another transit towing a compressor then? Transits "connected" by that old electricians favourite, several yards of 35mm SWA cable....

Laughing Laughing I would have thought a bit of 16mm 2 core T&E 6242Y(H) H for harmonised lol would have done the trick Wink Laughing Laughing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RustySparks"]
hairyben wrote:
alan S wrote:
Totally off topic- so how legal was our (but certainally not mine!) transit towing another transit towing a compressor then? Transits "connected" by that old electricians favourite, several yards of 35mm SWA cable....

Laughing Laughing I would have thought a bit of 16mm 2 core T&E 6242Y(H) H for harmonised lol would have done the trick Wink Laughing Laughing

I've used an extension lead flex to tow a Susuki Jeep before now, athough it keep snapping and we finally run out of cable. Rolling Eyes
Could have done with a bit of 35mm Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
hairyben

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustySparks wrote:

no, we did try some 16mm concentric copper but it broke. and there weren't no harmonycableballs in them days. good old fashioned red, yellow and blue, all present and correct sah. then some genetically modified black lesbian liberal single mother aslylum seekers from mars in the EU messed it all up.

now gone Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: