Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Timing Chain (again)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trev P

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 0:24    Post subject: Timing Chain (again) Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I've had my Delica for about a month now and it makes me smile every time I start her up.......until I noticed the dreaded rythmic humming sound coming from my engine when it's under load. From previous postings it seem likely it's the timing chain. I was hoping someone might be able to help with some info on the following:

a) Is this something that needs to be dealt with asap?
b) Can it be adjusted or will it have to be replaced?
c) Am I going to be changing it every couple of years? it's only done 38000 miles. (On the Aussie site one of the postings says it should last the life of the engine)
d) If it has to be replaced how much is it going to lighten my wallet by?

Hope someone out there can help me, in the mean time I'll just drive gently with the radio turned up (what I can't hear can't hurt me!)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 0:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:34    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain (again) Reply with quote

Trev P wrote:
Hi everyone

I've had my Delica for about a month now and it makes me smile every time I start her up.......until I noticed the dreaded rythmic humming sound coming from my engine when it's under load. From previous postings it seem likely it's the timing chain. I was hoping someone might be able to help with some info on the following:

a) Is this something that needs to be dealt with asap?
b) Can it be adjusted or will it have to be replaced?
c) Am I going to be changing it every couple of years? it's only done 38000 miles. (On the Aussie site one of the postings says it should last the life of the engine)
d) If it has to be replaced how much is it going to lighten my wallet by?

Hope someone out there can help me, in the mean time I'll just drive gently with the radio turned up (what I can't hear can't hurt me!)

Hi matey
           Firstly have you had a look at this thread over at our sister site pocuk? http://www.pocuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3752
In answer to your questions,A) yes i would get it done sooner rather than later
B)*i think * they are self adjusting so maybe its at its limit and will not go anymore maybe worth asking mits on that one
C)Timing chain should be changed every 100 thou kilometers i beleive unless it needs it before hand of course,just because its rattling doesn't mean to say your engine has done over 100 thou Ks
D)According to the other thread the chain is about £110 and the labour ? well who knows personally i would have thought the whole job inc parts and labour shouldnt cost you anymore than £260 tops i would think.
E) oooh theres not an e i got carried away then lol,hope this helps you matey and you can get it sorted soon ,there may well be someone in your area who can reccomend a garage to carry out the works for you,if not I'm sure one of us could ask at pocuk on your behalf if your not registered on the forums over there,all th best

Marc 8)

deandownunder

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trev, Sorry to disagree with you Marc, but the timing chain does not need replacing every 100k. A timing belt does however. Suggest you get the chain adjusted first. I think you will find the sound might disappear. My mechanic worked with this 4m40 engine for several years on the Mitsu Canter range of trucks and he is adamant that you should see at least 500k from a well adjusted chain. Cheers, Dean.
IanFJ

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:13    Post subject: Timing Chain (again) Reply with quote

Hi,

My Deli is currently with the dealer to be looked at for this noise, they think, rather than the chain being stretched, it is the wearing surface on the tensioner that has broken down that might be making the noise. Will post the outcome as soon as I find out.

IJ
Trev P

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing major goes wrong while I wait for Ians update.
If anyone knows of a local garage they could reccomend it would be appriciated as I'm bound to need one sooner or later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: