Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

noise issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_rookie wrote:
sorry for the confusion, I was referring to my Toy Landcruiser with 1kz-te engine with that comment since I  yes, IC is for intercooler

What is a Toy Landcruiser 1kz-te engine. Means nothing to me - And others  Question

As Lewis points out in No. 2

Mr D
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 18:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you skodarapid,
sounds quite what I am experiencing.
took a spin with a friend and he said it sounds like something is blowing right into the cabin through the dashboard. still i feel it sounds like this slack fanbelt too/screeching which would make sense as the turbine is close enough at the dump pipe, why it would screech that way at the pressure release valve i don´tknow but then again don´t know a lot about the car yet. will put your advice on the check list.
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony, did you manage to find the issue and fix it?
Andy
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately not yet
but will sure post findings
current weather is not inviting to do work outdoors
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and forgot to say (to my excuse) that I am still sourcing for parts for repair and conversion to RH traffic. only when all items arrive I will take it to a warmer place, convert / repair and look for issues
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:

pressure relief valve had quite some oil dust on it letting me assume it is opening up and not stuck as it doesn´t blow when in neutral

found waste gate actuator lever a bit stuck, gave it few knocks and moving again. could not take it for a spin as my other car is blocking driveway with another engine failure  Embarassed
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people. well I've had a look at the issues. checked manifold and no cracks. changed the pressure valve, and it is blowing open when only getting to 2000 rpm. but from the turbo gauge it looks like the boost is .9 to 1 bar. is this too much boost ?? next question is there any easy way to adjust to lower. as it looks like i need to remover the whole turbo to get the pin out from the actuator. ??
I'm now hoping this is the issue, as when i get the revs up, it is only the relief valve i can here, no horrible noise.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can actually see if the waste gate lever is moving or not when reving in neutral but i didn´t get the valve to engage without load.
is yours blowing off in neutral?
not sure about the pressure
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, it does blow open in neutral, but not until i rev up to about 3200 rpm. under load at 2000 rpm. but as i say it's when the boost gauge reads at 1bar.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read that normal boost is around 0.8 and the blow off at 1.0 which seems normal then. I have no boost gauge yet.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Anthony,
did you further look into the noise issue?

I thought I had it resolved with a few bangs to the wastegate lever but with the latest test drive it was back again at >2500 rpm.
anthony.palmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. after looking into my issue, I changed the pressure valve on the inlet manifold and this was then blowing open. my boost was at about 1bar, my waste gate was adjustable. access is rubbish, I had to strip out manifolds, undo the exhaust ect, so adjusted and made sure i over adjusted, so at least I can then space it with washers. it’s at about .6 bar, and has solved my issue. just need to put a washer under the bolts now and adjust to .8 bar.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

today I have again looked into that noise issue...
it is clear that the relief valve opens up, there is fresh oil dust indicating it´s opening.
i have built an adapter for a boost gauge to fit on the right side of the intercooler where there seems to be a temperature sensor, took it out and put in a socket to connect the boost gauge.
in neutral the valve does not open up as described earlier, the boost altough climbs to 1 bar easily in N. under load the normal boost goes to about 0,5 or 0,6, then jumps to 1,0 just to drop as the valve opens.
from how it behaves I would assume the valve just does what it´s supposed to do, opening to relief pressure at about 1 bar. now pretty sure the wastegate is stuck for good. gave it another soak with WD40 and will check again tomorrow.

any thoughts on this?
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:

turbo was taken off, waste gate was totally blocked with carbon residue. cleaned and set free, rod and valve moving.
put it all together again.
test drive. no difference. valve going off at about 3000 revs when pushing pedal to metal.

looked at the waste gate rod when car parked and reving up, rod moves but only about 3mm and then the valve goes off. sure it behaves differently as when under load but shouldn´t the waste gate open further to not engage the prv ? i don´t believe it is a feature that it blows off all the time? so still some riddle here.

can anyone confirm the movement of the waste gate rod when parked and reving up beyond 3000 ? that would be great help. my mechanics are not familiar with the engine, thought i put the prv in myself and thinks the right pressure for the engine is 1.5 bar (20psi).  
is there a source where to look up the stock pressure? I  believe this is supposed to be around 0.5 or 0.6 bar? (7 psi?).

tia
exarkun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

About six months ago I had a problem where there was screeching above 2.5k revs.  Long story short, it was the inlet manifold.  It was a surprise to me.  i had a spare one on the shelf in the garage.  Swapped it over and it has been fine since.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

so a crack in the inlet manifold? what are the odds?
well, I still think it is the valve.
waste gate was totally stuck.
had to remove turbo to get it going.
on the work bench the waste gate would move freely, the rod moving about 1/2 inch back and forth and the valve opening.
when put back in it was again as it was before. testdrive. above 2500 maybe at 2800 pedal to metal and woooooooooooosh, same sound as before.
looked at the waste gate rod when parked and car in neutral. found it only moving maybe 1/8 inch. valve would not engage without load.
had to stop the testing there, car is at a mechanic. they don´t know anything about the engine, even thought I put that strange valve there. mechanic adamant about the pressure to be 1,5bar in normal conditions, would not believe me the 0.6 or 0.7bar.
they have now removed the valve and closed it up with a plumbing plug.
need to go there and install my pressure gauge again, did that only for testing so far on the intercooler, pulling out the temp sensor for the electric fan and attaching a nozzle there. have to find how high the pressure goes now. anything beyond 1.0 bar or 14psi isn't healthy on a stock setting I'd say?
hope to get around doing that next week, bit busy now and car 30 miles away :-(
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

update.

turbo was removed, waste gate completely stuck therefore not opening and engaging the pressure relieve valve. made waste gate move again. still prv would open before wastegate.
removed the prv and closed up for good.
attached pressure gauge, finding pressure going up to 1-1,2 bar or 14 - 16 psi tops at full kick down to drop back to 0,7 bar or about 10psi when shifting into higher gear, pressure then sits at 0,7 when cruising at normal throttle.
still seems the waste gate is not fully opening at once but I believe this can be accepted as is, 1 bar tops will not blow the head gasket or worse.

what do you guys think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: