4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

What are best drive settings for towing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 14:39    Post subject: What are best drive settings for towing? Reply with quote

Hi all, as the L400 offers a few options for the powertrain in use I wondered if any were better for use when towing than others.

I thought the 'hold' mode of the A/T switch meant the van would get to higher revs before changing up a gear, which seemed useful for towing, but I may have misunderstood how that mode works.

Is it better to NOT use overdrive for any reason?

Does using 4WD mode offer any benefit while towing?

Any and all info appreciated,

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 14:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing.
Do NOT use HOLD for pulling away, it puts the gearbox in to Second gear, therefore overloading the Torque Converter
creating heat.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal, self-selecting 4WD is what you need. So if your rear wheels feel inclined to slip under load, the front ones will take some of the strain through the viscous centre diff. It only engages the front wheels when needed, without the need to move levers. Most L400 drivers leave it in that mode most of the time. Gives a form of traction control in slippery conditions, too.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks re hold mode, yes, I also only just realised that the first 4WD mode is 'part-time' depending on wheel traction. I usually drive in rear wheel only thinking that is better for fuel economy though.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

And back to original question, if hold mode forces 2nd gear, does sport delay change up to higher revs? Or are there no other towing related options to employ?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this post helpful:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18735

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a moot point as my A/T switch offers only off or hold...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

No!  Your being too heavy handed with the switch.  Wink

As per what is written on the page:-

Normal Mode: - Central position, no warning light showing on dash - Used for a normal, economical, quiet and smooth drive.

I.E. The middle setting of the rocker switch lights neither PWR or HOLD.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: