4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Oil Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 19:30    Post subject: Oil Leak Reply with quote

So I replaced the front crank shaft seal as that was leaking badly, but I still have a small leak towards the rear of the engine.  I am going to thoroughly clean it at the weekend but am wondering that if it is the rear crank shaft seal, are there any typical places where it will show itself so I know where to look when it's all gleaming down there?
Cheers, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 19:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear crank seal leak tends to show at the bottom of the bellhousing-engine joint. If there is oil at the top rear of engine, or on the bell housing, it's most likely the half moon seal at the back of the cam cover.
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, fingers crossed!
Deker

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most common leak, the Semi circular (often referred as the Half Moon seals) on the Rocker Cover.

It's tight for space, but, get your fingers behind the Rocker cover, feel for oil leak.

Replaced my Rocker gasket kit last year, the Semi circular seals shrunk and leaked, had to use Blue Hylomar sealer to seal.

Milner. If you see this, please try to find better suppliers of Rubber components.

Mr D
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Derek, I'll have a feel tomorrow🥱
Andy W

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a feel and the back of the head is oily so hopefully that is where the problem is, all I have to do now is clean everything and fit a new seal. 🥱
Andy
JimmyG

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a leaking front crank shaft seal done on my L400 Super Exceed (1995) some years ago at the same time as I needed to have the engine crank pulley replaced (parted from the rubber joint?). A previous job replacing the rocker cover gasket never made much difference. When a small oil leak was identified from the rear crank seal, I was told this would require moving the transmission to gain access, which sounded like an expensive job for just the seal only.

I can see evidence of oil spread on the bell housing (a little goes a long way), but only a very small of drip from the rear bash plate, and it hasn't got any worse over the past six years (but my annual mileage is only around 8,000). I've been using a tube of Tek4 Seal Conditioner at every oil change for the past three years, but I've no way of knowing if this is keeping things under control or if it just isn't a serious leak. The front crank seal has now started to show signs of weeping again, which I hope won't progress. Once it is at risk of contaminating the belts the seal has to be done. Good luck with your's.
Andy W

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, hopefully it's only the half moon seal leaking, I don't want to fit the bash plate till I'm sure the leak is gone so hopefully all fixed soon,
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyG wrote:
A previous job replacing the rocker cover gasket never made much difference. When a small oil leak was identified from the rear crank seal, I was told this would require moving the transmission to gain access, which sounded like an expensive job for just the seal only.

I can see evidence of oil spread on the bell housing (a little goes a long way), but only a very small of drip from the rear bash plate, …..

One of the main problems, with the halfmoon seals is a failure to put some liquid sealant between the rubber to metal surfaces as well as along the top surface, to take up any gaps against the rubber seal around the rocker cover.

As for the rear crankshaft seal: The insides of the bell housing is a ‘dry’ environment. At the bottom, where the inspection plate is located, there is a small drain hole. Any oil coming out of that will be from the crankshaft seal. A continuous leak is indicative of a seal drying out, or dislodged. Those have a tendency to blow backwards when the engine is under strain, especially when overfilled with oil. That will result in a sudden loss of most of the oil in one go.

Mine went halfway up a mountain track in Spain, resulting in having to recover it back to my Static caravan.  No garages would come to deal with it; not even an offer to take it back to the main Mitsubishi garage, then return it when done.

In the end I had a month’s ‘busmans’ holiday trying to source the correct seal - The Local Mitsu dealer failed twice to get the right part - which was eventually sourced and sent from MitzyBitz, in Rotherham.  Once I had the right part it took me less than five minutes to get under the van and fit it.  Though it did take a day to fully reassemble the engine / transmission - a very leisurely day, with frequent refreshment breaks 😇. Mainly due to having to borrow a small trolly jack to lift the gearbox back into position.

V8 rick (RIP) used to do them at the roadside in around six to seven hours.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Mon May 17, 2021 22:59; edited 1 time in total
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Lewis, I remember your saga but at least it was in a nice climate and you got some good pics!

I don't seem to be losing much oil at all so hopefully it is only the half moon seal because at my age I get quite queasy rolling round on my back under vehicles so I really don't want to have to pull out the gearbox!

Cheers, Andy
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I gave the engine a thorough clean the other day and last night could see oil at the bottom of the bell housing; I felt the back of the rocker cover/head and it was oily but not that wet.  I gave it all a good clean and will check again later but sadly it looks like the leak could be the rear crank shaft seal😭.

Had anyone any tips or guidance on removing the gearbox apart from don't do it!

Cheers, Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been under mine this morning I have also noted a patch of oil starting, which is getting blown back, from the bell housing drain, on to the front of the ATF Sump. Crying or Very sad

I reckon I will have a jab at some engine oil stop leak first; for a change, as I am really not in the mood to do another rear seal change. These days my arms and back are considerably lacking in strength.

As for Tips. Some decent axle stands, a proper HD Trolley Jack, a good dose of patience and a small box of plasters come to mind.  Laughing

Somewhere or other I have a 'How-to-do-it' written up, from my Spanish escapade, waiting for me to add in the photos I took.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attitude to oil leaks: if it's less than 1 litre per year, it's not really a problem . . . YET!
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely more than a litre a year, not sure how many miles to the litre at this stage as the weekend was the first top up for ages.

As for old backs and arms Lewis, I'm getting more and more nauseous the longer I'm working on my back, which really puts me off going under there.

Oh well at least I can go in with my eyes open!

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the sound of it you had better make sure you have some goggles on.  walk

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more along the lines of a dry suit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: