2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 Temperature Gauge / Cold Start stall issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twinterx

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 17:26    Post subject: L400 Temperature Gauge / Cold Start stall issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

New to the forum, have owned my Deli for a few weeks now.

I noticed quite quickly that the temperature gauge never seems to get any higher than 1/8th of the gauge (seems quite low based on previous cars).

It also has an issue where when cold, it occasionally stalls if we don't let it warm up enough.

After a Google, I found that the coolant sensor might be causing both of these issues so started investigating.

I ran a multimeter on the sensor itself, and it seems to change resistance as the engine warms. Going from roughly 3.77 to 0.5 as the engine warmed up. I don't know the exact temperature mapping but the changes seem reasonable.

I then dismantled the speedo cluster and put the multimeter on the gauge feed. At this point I received a reading of -1.47v at the same time the sensor gave me 0.87. maybe newbie but I guess I was expecting these values to match?

I was wondering if, and where the temp sensor feeds into the ECU so I can check the resistance there, to see if it is affecting the readings that the ECU uses.

A final question would be, does the coolant temp sensor feed into the ECU for engine timing etc. Or just the gauge for driver awareness. I'm thinking an easy fix would be to splice the cable quote close to the sensor and install an aftermarket digital gauge for me to track temperature.

Any support would be appreciated. 🙂

Thanks,
Tom
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 17:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperature gauge, hardly move, most of our cars do that.

You do not say which engine you have.

2.8 Diesel - There is no ECU control to the engine.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the later S2 2.8s not have electronic metering or control of the injector pump,  using sensor imputs to an ECU?
Twinterx

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

It's a 1998 2.8L diesel 4WD
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Temp Sensor for the ECU is the front one of the three in the top elbow of the engine. Item No.8 below:-

I have a 1999 model, by which time that was redundant:-

So in this Case the temp sensor on the head, adjacent to No.1 glowplug is used Item No.6 in the first photo above.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: