4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Central Scottish Borders tour?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:25    Post subject: Central Scottish Borders tour? Reply with quote

Now the Deli has passed its MoT, I am planning a tour of this remote and hilly area around Ettrick, possibly 3-4 days. Reservoirs/lochs, accessible forest and mountain trails, and wild camping, possibly a night in a bothy. Just waiting for restrictions to lift so I can propose some dates. Preferably before mid July, (as the best weather tends to be before that) and avoiding the A/O weekend, 4 -6 June. Anyone interested? Sadly right now, I can't even cross the border for a reccy!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tentatively, yes, restrictions allowing (I'm being very cautious with my optimism...).
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that, hopefully the vaccine will make the difference, this time. I had my first over two weeks ago, but not counting my chickens yet!
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a quick look on Google street view, I get the impression that parts of Cumbria look more interesting,
could be wrong though.

Looked at Galloway Forest area on Google, could that be more interesting  Question  Probably more Bothies   Smile

I seem to recall that a nameless member (might have been a moderator  Question  ( clue = L)) has been there,
done a write up.
Was about the time I was getting a bit unwell - My memory very vague. I could be way wrong   Confused   Embarassed

Andy, for you, a trip to Ettrick is relatively local, for me, about 350 miles.  Shocked
For me, I would like to pick a period of reasonable weather - - - Yeah, I know - In Scotland - Next  Question

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; you're right Decker I have travelled through the Galloway Forest Park, in Scotland, many times, but not for several years. Though usually by turning off the A75 at Crocketford and using the A712 (The Queens Highway) route through New Galloway to Newton Stewart, rejoining the A75 a mile or so short of Newton Stewart, where I turned south at the roundabout on the A714 to me destination. This was mostly in the interests of self preservation to avoid the nutters driving Irish registered HGV's, at well over 70mph to get to and from the ferries.

My decision to use that as my preferred route came after overtaking a very slow, unladen, HGV low-loader, in the crawler lane of a two lane uphill stretch, having previously followed it for over four miles. I'd got halfway past it when another following HGV toughtliner, pulled out and started to race down the line of trucks behind me. It then moved over into the single, oncoming traffic lane, to overtake me. The top of the hill was blind, with a left hand bend, going fairly quickly into a single line each way.  Had something been coming the opposite way there would have been a right pile up probably with me squished into the low loader as the HGV moved left into the right lane.

Anyway thats me digressing, from the subject.

I also used the same route in reverse, though instead of  heading straight home I would have a couple of days up around Clatteringshaws following whatever forest road took my fancy. Unfortunately these days most are closed off, to stop wild camping by tribes of Irish Travellers with a couple of dozen caravans.

You're also right about there being some nice spots in Cumbria. Though I preferred going over to Northumberland, Kielder Forest Park and the numerous forested areas south of it in particular. However I did find most places there that could be snuck into for some overnight camping would only have enough room for two or three vehicles at most, in the edge of forest tracks.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Lewis. I have been past/through Galloway Forest on a few occasions on my way to the D&G and Ayrshire coasts. While there appears to be an approved (and tame looking) Forest Drive, as you say, most forest trails have barriers across their entrances, and I usually see a few rangers vehicles patrolling as it seems a popular recreation area.
I may be wrong about that area around Ettrick, but surveying it on Google Streetview indicates it is less frequented, with some long through-trails, as well as lonely single track tarmac roads. Possibly most people go to Kielder, or head straight on up the motorways to Scotland beyond Glasgow and Edinburgh.
In terms of distance, they are almost identical from me, or any point on the M6, but Ettrick would be a lot closer for Jeroen near Dundee, and I really like the idea of overnighting in some really remote spots. And as for the Lake District, Deker, yes it's beautiful, but being my back yard, so to speak, I have done most of the trails, and it is getting a bit same old same old for me; and any time from end of lockdown, any non-campsite overnight places are going to have a motorhome parked in them.
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Yes; you're right Decker I have travelled through the Galloway Forest Park,

Thank  you - Good to know me memory is still functional  Smile  Doing me best to prevent Altimeters and Sterile Cementation "at bay"
Lewis wrote:
You're also right about there being some nice spots in Cumbria.
Though I preferred going over to Northumberland, Kielder Forest Park and the numerous forested areas south of it in particular. However I did find most places there that could be snuck into for some overnight camping would only have enough room for two or three vehicles at most, in the edge of forest tracks.

For years I wanted to go there motorcycle camping. Never managed to do that  Sad

In the Delica, a few years back, on my way to visit a friend, lives on the West side of Gare Loch, Scotland, opposite the nuke sub base.
I went thro Kielder Forest, stopped by Kielder Water for bite to eat.

Weather was damp, and getting dark, I was not impressed by the forest, may have been due to weather.
Leaving the forest, now a dark damp evening  Sad  using the B6357 I found a forest track to the Right, drove up a few hundred yards,
up to a track T junction, the Left I could not see, to the Right, a bit of a uphill slope disappearing into the forest,
I thought "hmm where does that go"

To drive up there in the alone in the dark, dunno what the track is like  Exclamation  
The little bit in my head about Self Preservation suddenly became prominent  Idea

So I stayed by the T junction, in the dark, to my Left I could see a bit of a ditch - be careful boy.
In the morning, woke to see that bit of a ditch must have been at least 3 foot deep, I was parked less than 2' foot from it  Shocked

Point about this = That track may have led to plenty of Delica wild camping spaces  Smile
Had good night vision those years, and I was well the wrong side of 70  Exclamation
(Around those years, I did drive the Wrynose & Hardknott Pass on a very dark night, most interesting  Rolling Eyes wild camped up there )

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker, I wonder if that was the same forest track I went up at dusk to wild camp for the night on my way back from the Northumberland coast a few years back. I had passed several such tracks along the main, lakeside road, all with barriers down. But some forgetful person had left this barrier up, so I took that as an invitation!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Part of the Kielder forest called Bull Crag Peninsular. If you follow the dirt track over the ridge it passes a car park and continues down to the waters edge. Back in the mid 90's I stayed there for a full weekend, for some mountain biking.

It was winter, so not many folk around and I was only able to see the marks of cycle tracks, in the sandy soil, around where I was parked up, though did hear the sound of engines, presumably going into the signposted carpark further back down the track. There was a tarmacced road section close to where I was, which I thought was probably the old road down the valley, before it was flooded.

Each morning my fresh water tank, located under the 2WD camper I had at the time, was frozen solid. Though the days did warm up after 10am.  Very Happy

X marks the spot I was parked up at.  Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy. As I said, dark, damp, also misty evening.

There were no barriers to that track.

Mr D
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis.
Looks as tho you are interested, would be nice to be graced with your pleasance, either at Kielder or Galloway Forest.

Looking at Street view, the entrance to Bull Crag is gated from September 2011  Sad

Mind you, Kielder and Galloway are not that far apart - Why not do both  Question

The one time I drove thro Kielder, it was late, and damp (Was on my way to Scotland) - Perhaps I missed the beauty of the forest  Question

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to the bit where you saw the gate and move a bit further along the road, to the west, and the gate will dissapear.  Wink

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the dates photos were shot.

Mr D
alfagunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If work permits, and my new cylinder head gets fixed tomorrow (blew two weeks ago), I'll be adding to the Delica convoy to Scotland  Very Happy
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed for you Steve. Make sure you thoroughly test it where you are close enough for Deker Rescue to get you home if needed!
Deker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this proposed meet now cancelled  Question

I’ve often considered having a look/trip to Stranraer,
but it’s so far off route from the A74M when I have been to see my friend in Scotland.

I would like to visit Galloway Forest. Anyone  Question

After the Staffordshire meet.

Mr D
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this proposed meet not going to happen  Question

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless anyone else wants to join us, looks like it could just be thee and me.
Have you decided on a date, Derek? I am half way through a laborious clutch change on the Megane Convertible, prior to selling it for probably peanuts.
Beginning to wish I'd not started, and sold it for a few peanuts less, as spares or repair, and just jumped in the Deli and gone somewhere while the sun was shining.
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, my date's are weather dependant.
I may have a partner.

I think Steve may still be up for this meet.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may have noticed, I am unable to predict weather Embarassed with any certainty/accuracy! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: