4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Low roof tailgate struts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Free hosting site is down to a persons choice.

Personally I use https://cubeupload.com/

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look for Hyundai h100 van breaking for scrap. Same bodyshell so I imaging same brackets and maybe even a source of struts.
There's this one as an example

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, there is a holding washer and two spacers under the riveted head end of the pivot. It would take nothing to grind the splay off that end so that the prop, washer and spacers can be removed.  in order to straighten the bracket. And if you did mess up the bracket (which I doubt), it would take an average DIYer like me about 20 minutes to make you a serviceable replacement. When you reassemble it, you would just need to find some slightly thinner spacers (you need to keep the washer, as it is an exact fit around the pivot), leaving enough of the pivot protruding so you could hammer splay the end with a suitable centre punch. Ask SGS to simply grind off the pivot end to release the prop, so they can re-gas it, then return the bracket bits separately, so you can do/have the necessary bracket work done. Simples!
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that very helpful info Andy. After reading that a few times I think I understand that. My only wonder is how do you re -attach the chopped off bracket from the end? Is it welded on?

Also thanks Andy W,  I ended up calling Mitzybitz and they had one in stock. As I've been searching for ages and getting no joy I snapped it up. now I'm wondering if I should have as its only one. It is a replacement for the left hand bent one though. Now I'm thinking should I just get SGS to re gas the one they can re-gas... Would it matter if one was on full force, and the other second hand one on I'm guessing, half force or so?
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and thanks Pinkpig I messaged them to ask... I had no idea what that van even was until you mentioned it in another post to me, now there is a slightly wider breakage market on my radar  Very Happy
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I did tell you the Hyundai H100 was an L300 clone in my first reply to you on this thread! There would be no welding to do on the bracket, as long as you didn't break it while trying to straighten it (after you had got the prop off the pivot pin). Best to get both props pressurised equally, I have heard of the rear door cracking across just below the bracket fixing. I may need to get mine re-gassed soon, a gust of wind can make the tailgate drop. Don't forget, if you want extra headroom, to fit them back on the opposite sides.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

NB: You could also fit a small spacer between the bracket and tailgate, using longer bolts, which will give some added height.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andyman I'm doing my classic mixing up who said what to me. That was that first post exactly, that I was referring too when I said 'in another post to me'. My apologies. I thought it was you again reiterating the point.....teach me to scan read  Crying or Very sad

Hmm yeh thanks I did think that might be bit dodgy. Maybe now i'll send this left had one I get with a straight bracket on down to SGS. Get them to re-gas the two together and send up all three, (one not gasses and still bent) and fix that one up, in the way you suggest to sell on/spare. ?

I think I'm still a little lost what has to come off and what doesn't for the re=gassing. I get the part of grinding off the pivot to remove that part and spacers., but then its okay to leave the last bit of the bracket which is fixed to the prop when re gassing?
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is only the flattened end of the pivot pin that holds the prop onto the bracket. Grind off that 1mm of flattened end, and slide the prop off the pivot pin-with-bracket. Catch the washer and spacers.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks for clearing that up. I’ll contact SGS and see what they say regarding doing that for me. Either that or send my 'new' second hand one. Cheers.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyman. I’m more inclined to do what you said about sending it back in somewhat bits to reassemble. I’ve read it over and over but I don't get it exactly.  

I understand  grinding off the pivot end with the splayed bit holding it all on, to release the prop washer and spacer... but this will then leave the metal bit welded (I'm guessing,) to the end of the strut shaft? this is the bent bit and the reason they can't re-gas from what I gathered or do you think if the prop is removed it should be okay to gas. I basically have no idea what involves re-gassings and I feel like if I suggest to do that hell say it Can't be done as its in the way still ? I have no idea.

Is that what you meant. have them re gas it with that bent bit still on. As I'm with you in thinking I’ll 100% be able to straighten it here. sorry for my lack of understanding it.

ordered a second hand one from mitzy bits but got refunded as they don't have it in fact. then that Hyundai pink pig posted had them but the EXACT same part is bent on one of them on that side. I couldn't believe it!!  Shocked Makes me think it's meant to be that way again ha....
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Matt, on re-examining your pic, I see what you mean. In the text, you said that SGS said the bracket was bent, but it isn't; it's the eye on the end of the strut that is bent. If it was mine, I would heat up the eye end, without removing the bracket (that's the bit with two bolt holes that fits to the body), with a plumbers gas blow torch on full and with a strong pair of molegrips on the eye and a vice holding the strut, straighten the eye end out. Then send the two struts to SGS for regassing.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh yes sorry I did write that, which was incorrect. My terminology for parts isn't too good.

Yeh thanks for clearing that up. I'm pretty amazed an engineering firm can't bend a small bit of metal. I don't want a good finish just functionality. I always did basic repairs working in and engineering environment.

That guy I bought them off actually had two pairs in the end so he's sending the straight ones. Time to finally get my back off the SGS shelf and bend it myself to keep as spares or sell on.

Thanks for all your help. I can't wait to lift my tailgate again ha
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourced two struts off the Hyundai link you sent PP so thank you and Andyman for that suggestion. SGS engineering apparently Can't bent mild steel attached to a strut can off it, hmmm. Ill just ask for my struts back I think.

Only trick now is putting them on? Anyone done this before. I've read you have to compress them and then tie with a wire etc whilst installing.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it easier to use a long wooden pole, to push the tailgate up to it's maximum height and hold it there whilst the struts were fitted.

ルイス
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that with some ladders. It wasn’t high enough. I then had to stand on a step ladder and hold it until the tailgate physically couldn’t go any higher as the edge started to hit the roof. Still wouldn’t fit. I’ll have to compress somehow then I’m guessing the weight of the tailgate won’t let it rise that high when they are on.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I swapped mine from one side to the other to get max height under the tailgate (which tells me that that the tailgate lifts higher than the max length of strut, if not attached), it was simply a matter of putting the socket over ball on the tailgate end, then the clip that holds that end together (do this with both struts), then lift the tailgate to the right height for the other strut ends to bolt back onto the body. A helper might make it easier, but I seem to remember doing it on my own, holding up the tailgate with my head (I'm 5'8", so not tall)
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Hyundai H100 didn't fit unfortunately. Had to ratchet them back to compress. The brackets are the exact same and all was going well. Then when I went to close there wasn't enough travel in the rod. Probably another two inch and it would have closed. Oh well was worth a punt for £35. I’m guessing these particular ones are for the high top as it was almight close.

Anyone after a pair of struts for a high top hit me up? They held the tailgate really well so full of gas. Just not for my van  Crying or Very sad

Also anyone know any other places which re-gas. my originals are coming back. SGS Engineering seemed to become unstuck by a bit of slightly bent metal.... Laughing
andyman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always bring both sets of struts to Wood Farm - I may buy your Hyundai ones off you as mine are getting a bit weak, and drop two or three inches with a gust of wind, and we may able to straighten your old bracket so SGS will be prepared to re-gas it!
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan. I will do. I intend to bring all the random stuff I've bought and not had time to fit yet. a few beers and some sunshine and i'll hopefully get them all fitted. Yeh I think I'm going to have a go as soon as they get back to me. I'm planning to make some sort of bed in the back/generally use the back and not being able to get in there is really not ideal....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: