4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Looking for good Delica knowledgeable garage near Pontypridd

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing agents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:18    Post subject: Looking for good Delica knowledgeable garage near Pontypridd Reply with quote

HI all,

having just got a new set of tyres on from a driveway installer I am now looking for somewhere to check tracking and alignment etc.

Kwik fit tell me as it's an import they don't have the necessary info to do this on my 2006 Delica 2.9l L400.

Does anyone know of a good place to take it in the Pontypridd area/South Wales please?

Ideally I'd like somewhere to do a complete service as well, but checking the runnning gear is current priority.

Thank you

Jim
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, sorry, this is the updated version, not the L400. New front body shape, but same underneath as far as I am aware.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:- https://msautospontypridd.com

They do 4x4 Laser wheel alignment.

The 1998 - 1999 model software is the same as the 4x4 Series 2 Deli's.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:55; edited 1 time in total
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a L400, late Series 2, with the plastic front bumper/apron with inset fog lights. Assuming it's a V6 petrol?
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right. I thought the L400 should cover the later facelift version, but then second guessed myself. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, so I am in the process of getting the van serviced, but the garage tell me that fuel filters are coming up expensive, usual grey import not in our datbase scenario I think.

Is there somewhere I can find out what generic type will fit for oil/fuel/air.

It is a petrol 2006 face lift L400

Thanks
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect some of those should be the same as used on 1998-2006 Shogun Sport/Warrior 3.0 V6 sold through UK Mitsubishi dealers. Hopefully, your garage has a use or return arrangement with their motor factors, in case of wrongly ordered parts.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_lewis1 wrote:
.... the garage tell me that fuel filters are coming up expensive, usual grey import not in our datbase scenario I think.

Forget the garage, who are just trying to bump up their prices.

Source your own filters from your local Autofactors, which is exactly where the Garage will get theirs, then add on a percentage.

Also available from MitzyBitz:- Ebay item No.:- 124145314748

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yes, when I realised I did have the engine code ref. I went to Ebay and am now awaiting the parts from Mitzy Bits.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so on collecting the van they said they couldn't find the vehicle type for the tracking etc. on their database. I am a bit irritated as I did say to phone me as I expected this to happen.

Anyway, having now spoken to the bloke he says he can't find the same as your screenshot earlier in the thread, but that two variants of L400 come up, 2.4 GDI and 2.5 Turbo. 1995 and 2000. It's a Hoffman Megaline he is using if that helps.

I'm sure the tracking needs looking at as there is a new shimmy around 60 mph since the new tyres.

Is either/neither of those options going to work?

Thanks for the help
andyman

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the people who fitted the tyres not track it? Can you remember what the wear pattern was like on the old tyres? That is a good indicator of tracking and alignment issues., as is pulling to one side (assuming inflation is correct, and braking is even) Speed-related 'shimmers' tend to be be a wheel-balance issue. At a certain speed the rotation bounce of the un-balanced wheel is in harmonic sympathy with the spring bounce rate. It can show up or cause deterioration of the shock absorber (damper ) on that wheel. It may have thrown a weight, so definitely worth having it checked by the people who fitted them.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fitters were the driveway type, so no tracking capability. I did ask and was told they had balanced the wheels, but I hadn't considered the weight might have detached. If I find weights on both front wheels is it still a possible cause (are multiple weight used if necessary or just the right sized single one?)
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so there are weights on three of the wheels, but not the offside front... I will give the fitter a call tomorrow. I doubt they record what weights they fitted, but you never know.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a search on sites that have SuperTracker kit installed - they seem to have a good database, including imports.

I found this place, but may be a bit of a drive
https://www.gtecautos.co.uk/wheel-alignment/

You also need to work around the model names as said, eg mine comes up as L300 4x4 van, but actually same as my age Delica.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_lewis1 wrote:
..... two variants of L400 come up, 2.4 GDI and 2.5 Turbo. 1995 and 2000.

Regardless of the L400 year or variant, all the 4WD chassis and suspension setups are the same, so he can use what he has.

Personally I would chose the 1995 option, as the 2000 could be a 2WD setting.

HTH

ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_lewis1 wrote:
okay, so there are weights on three of the wheels, but not the offside front... I will give the fitter a call tomorrow. I doubt they record what weights they fitted, but you never know.

Weights will change as they are balanced.

The machine will spin the wheel - showing where the balance point is - the fitter will put on weights accordingly.

These days they are often adhesive ones stuck to the underside of the rim, so it is not unusual for the adhesive to dry out and have the weights drop off.
Several years back I drove out of a fitters, with brand new tyres on, whilst listening to the sound of the newly clipped on weights fly here there and everywhere.  Sad

ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre fitter returned and found the right front was not quite balanced right, so we'll see if the shimmy is now gone.

I'm getting the tracking done on Wednesday so maybe overall handling will improve too.

With new tyres with more tread it feels a little squirmy to me, but maybe I need to get everything squared away and then trial tyres pressures
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so MSAutos checked the tracking using a 4x4 L400 Shogun setting from the database. It came up all green immediately.

The shimmy went after the rebalancing, but it does tend to pull to the left.

Seemingly there is some play in the tie rod ends.

Whilst I obviously need to address the play in the tie rod ends, i'm not very confident that using the Shogun was the right way to go when checking tracking.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I track mine with two long, straight pieces of wood; One each side of the van.

Camber of the road, difference of tyre make or pressure can all lead to pulling to one side (especially left = road camber.

Also sticky caliper slider pins. If it pulls to the left under braking, that would be R/H caliper sticking. If it pulls to the left after coming OFF the brake, that is R/H caliper sticking.
The sticking caliper/disc will feel much hotter (CAUTION!) than the good one when you stop after low speed driving.

Wear pattern on the old tyres (only one worn edge) can also indicate wheel camber alignment (vertical) is out. This is adjusted on the lower wishbone pivot bolt cam, which looks like an off-centre washer under the pivot bolt head, seen from the front.
Both outer edges or both inner edges worn indicates tracking is out.

(Lines spaced for Deker's benefit!) Very Happy
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I did speak to the guy prior to going on the ramp about pulling left and inside wear on front tyre, even mentioning camber adjustment, but I think in the end he has only checked the tracking and nothing else. I thought they would check all aspects of the suspension/running gear alignment as part of 'tracking', but I guess not.
I will try to remember to check the brake temps after a run to see if one is getting hot.

I do think things get lost in translation sometimes. I wanted a full and thorough check of all the factors affecting handling and tyre wear, he's checked my tracking and for play in the bushes etc. (although even then I think only the front).

At least I've identified the clonk at the rear is the exhaust hitting the tow bar mount, so nothing overly concerning.

I'd really like to be able to hand it to someone who properly knows the vehicle type and be confident they are setting it up right
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing agents All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: