4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Timing chain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWG81

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:34    Post subject: Timing chain? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I’ve had all sorts of trouble with my L400 this year and finally got it back up and running, only for it to develop what I think is the dreaded timing chain rattle. I had a new split link one fitted a few years ago (I’ve done approx 30,000 miles since) so is it likely to have stretched that much already? With the filler cap off I can lift the chain a couple of mm and I’m getting a rhythmic sound similar to the ‘chuff chuff’ described on the forum which gets worse at high revs.

I’ve done a fair bit of work on the engine since I had the van but I’m terrified of trying to do the split link chain myself in case I balls it up and create even more work for myself! I already had to take the front timing case off the engine once and I don’t fancy doing it again if I accidentally drop the chain or anything silly.

Is there a definitive guide to doing this? Seeing as it already has a split link chain fitted I won’t even have to cut the old one I guess…
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain worn @ 30k miles  Shocked   Question  Question

You've done the primary check. Now to do a further check for the chain tensioner.

Remove the Rocker cover, look down at the tensioner, see how far out its protruding,
if its a long way out, then chain is worn, or the guide may have broken.

It is most improbable that the tensioner is sticking. If it is, the oil feed may be blocked.
Remove it, clean the oil gallery. Also check that the small latch is operating properly,
and the plunger springs out.

HTH
Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 19:02    Post subject: Re: Timing chain? Reply with quote

AWG81 wrote:
..... (I’ve done approx 30,000 miles since) so is it likely to have stretched that much already? …

I had one, fitted by Sock, several years back, that had to be replaced after a few thousand miles.  It turned out that a manufacturing fault was to blame. Sock sorted it, with the seller replacing a 40 foot chain to him.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
AWG81

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Lewis, I guess it is a possibility then. Mine was fitted by Mark about three or four years ago but I guess there could have been another bad batch.

And thanks Deker, I will check the tensioner first and see what I'm up against.
AWG81

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all! I took the rocker cover off this morning to check the chain tensioner - I'm not sure whether the tensioner is out all the way or not so I took a photo and wondered what you all thought? I would say there's about 25 - 30mm of the tensioner extended.

There seems to me to be a fair amount of slack, but in truth I have no idea - I can quite easily lift the chain with my fingers but only by a couple of mm. I took a quick video, again hoping someone can let me know: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wy1JMVgSGoRWjG0yBFtG7UHwivO5SNK0/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some photos to judge it against:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49309

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chain is scrap metal.

Mr D
AWG81

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the photos Lewis and thanks Deker - that's certainly succinct!

Now to figure out how to proceed...
AWG81

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update - had the chain replaced today (I bottled doing it myself) by a chap called Roland in Dorset and the chuffing noise has thankfully gone. The old chain was definitely knackered and I think it had been for a while. Thanks for the input!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that was at SVS.  Wink

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: