Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Tyre help needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 14:33    Post subject: Tyre help needed! Reply with quote

Hi all, I need some help with tyre sizes/makes etc as my (brand new) current ones are driving me nuts!! Some time ago I was on here asking for some tyre advice prior to me buying a new set. Someone here recommended Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's as the "all singing-all dancing" tyre of choice and so, without giving the subject matter much more thought, I ordered a set of four from the Big Tyre Company Ltd (Nottingham) at a cost of £104 each (£416 total).

The tyres arrived next day and, I had them fitted a couple of days later at a tyre place near to where I live,so far so good, at least until I started driving my Deli' on main roads and, dual carriageways. To cut a long story short, to say they are noisy is an understatement!! I have since found out through my mechanic (who used to do a bit of off road stuff) that these are mainly mud tyres and "of course they are going to create a lot of road noise, they are made for off road use!!"
Well, that sure told me and, I certainly can't live with this road noise any longer so, I have decided to swallow it and get a set of less noisy tyres hence, I need a bit of help as I don't want to make the same mistake twice! I will be selling the Cooper's by the way if anyone is interested? They have done less than two hundred miles.

okay so, looking at my spare tyre underneath, it is a Bridgestone Dualler H/T. 225/80R/15. Try as I might, I am unable to find this tyre size in the UK. Is this size only available in Japan?  I am running the normal six spoke alloy wheels on my Deli' and, it is a 2006 3.0 v6 petrol model. There looks to be a ton of room above and to the sides in the wheel arches and, I am wondering if in fact, I should be looking at a wider set of tyres to fill the arches more? This would also give it a more "macho" stance and, I could then get rid of the wheel spacers I am using at the moment, to fill out the arches a bit more (I don't like the skinny tyre look)!

Also, what would be a better option, H/T or, A/T?? I will be doing mainly road miles with just a small amount of green lane off road use and, maybe across a field or two for a bit of camping, nothing outrageous!! Also, could the height (profile ?) of the tyre be reduced, maybe from the 80 to a 75 or 70??  Sorry if I appear stupid with all these questions but, tyres are just not my subject, I just need a bit of expert guidance from you chaps is all. Finally, just to complete the picture, the size of the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tyres on my Deli' at the moment are :- 30x9.5x15. I hope someone can point me in the right direction and, guide me through this tyre minefield that seems to have sprung up around me  Crying or Very sad!!

Thank you in advance for all/any help received guys.

Pete'  Cool
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 14:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete, yes tyres can be a thorny subject, and everyone has their favourite, depending on what is important to them. For the use you describe - mild off-road, green laning, but a lot of fast road driving, a good set of A/Ts (stands for All Terrain) should suit you. As the tyre width gets bigger (225 on yours), the same profile ratio figure (80 on yours) means the overall diameter of the tyre gets bigger. I have Nexen Roadian 235/75/15s on the front of my L300, and that size would fit your L400 no problem with no rubbing problems. (Other brands are available) On the rear, I have a pair of Bridgestone Duellers size 265/70/15, which I initially put on the front, but they rubbed slightly at certain steering/lean angles. They are slightly larger diameter, as well as width, and comparatively more expensive than the Nexens, but when they were on the front (briefly) they were slightly quieter than the Nexens - which are perfectly acceptable BTW. I suggest you look through some tyre sites, many have ratings for various aspects (including noise) of the tyres, plus you can look for independent reviews. I found my size of Nexens quickly by Googling the name and spec  here:- https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s3747p125017/Nexen_Tyres_Car_Nexen_Roadian_HT_SUV_-_235_75_R15_P_105S_ROWL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy, that is a great help! Would it be okay to go for 235x75x15 all round?

Pete'.  Cool
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, been on the Camskill web site and, it is a toss up between the Nexen Roadian H/T SUV and, the Yokohama GO15 Geolander A/T.  I have noticed that these tyres are both noise rated at 70DB which, from what I can see from all the others, seems to be the quietest. Decisions, decisions!! one final question, are H/T tyres the same as A/T tyres??

Thanks in advance guys for all your help.

Pete'  Cool
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30x9.5x15 are a good choice, a few members (inc. me) on here have them.

And they do help to lower the engine revs a bit - For a given speed.

I have to thank Lewis for advising me to use that size.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 235/75 /15s will be fine all round; I just fitted the 235s because I had them lying around after I wrecked my tyres on a slatey Lake District track, but they have proved durable and comfortable. I had bought them nearly new for a bargain to put on my OEM Delica wheels, but then spotted and bought a set of six wider Toyota Surf wheels with tyres with differing degrees of wear, which I fitted instead.
H/T stands for Highway/Terrain (I just googled it), so more designed for use on roads than A/Ts, - but okay for firm camp sites and show-fields.
The Yokohamas would probably get more votes - they are reputedly a very good tyre, but I have no experience of them.
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I am going to place an order for five Yokohama GO15 Geolander tyres with Camskill tomorrow. Thank you for your help on this subject  Very Happy.

Derek, long time no speak mate, so sorry about that! I'm still up for a Sussex meet in the Summer or, as soon as we are able. I am sure the Discoverer STT Pro tyres are as good as you say in the right application (off road) but, I just couldn't put up with the road noise, simple as that.

Pete'  Cool

(Sales info removed, as per club rules. Please use the Classifieds forum. Admin)
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, you could advertise them on the For Sale section on here, also with good pics on FB Delica Mart. There is also a FB 4x4 wheels and tyres site, and a local FB For Sale and Wanted, wherever you are.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti Hero wrote:

Derek, long time no speak mate, so sorry about that! I'm still up for a Sussex meet in the Summer or, as soon as we are able.

Pete'

Would you be interested in the proposed Scottish meet  Question

A southern meet - might get Baz & a few others out and about.

You mentioned Camskill - About 20 years ago, I did work for them.
They used to post to me, PolyUrethane round stock to machine to size, for Mitsubishi racing car/s engine mounts.
Over a 500 miles, posted round trip for them bushes  Shocked

About four years back, I gave them a visit - All the old staff that did the racing work had gone - Along with the racing cars.
But the new guys there knew of me  Smile
Invited me in, showed me parts of the facility where the public would not normally be allowed in.

Mr D
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy. My partner has facebook so I will get her to explore the options on there.
Derek, it would probably cost me a grand in fuel to get the Deli' up to jockland Rolling Eyes !!  A Southern meet would be much more palatable when all the lockdown restrictions are lifted. Wink  Very Happy

Pete'  Cool
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to have a look at my tyre choice and why.
Nobody liked it!  Embarassed
But it suits what I do - a little more grip than normal road tyres, but not quite A/T. look at the fuel/noise/wet measures and then compare with others you're looking at.
STTs probably come up F/G and 76Db or something

They've been good for what I need them for.

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50132&highlight=tyres

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that Pink Pig. However I have already ordered a set of Yokohama GO15 Geolanders. 70 Db so I am told! I won't be needing my ear muffs anymore!!  Very Happy

Pete'  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: