4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

A suggestion-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02    Post subject: A suggestion- Reply with quote

As we all know by now Photobucket has decicided to charge users for third party picture hosting.

Lewis uses Photobucket and without his picture tutorials the text alone is not as easy to follow.

Lewis has 100,s of pictorial posts most of which I have used, that now just show a dial image saying update account

For him the go to another picture uploaded is a ball ache he would have to transfer all his images to the new host then re apply them in order to each post, and then there is no guarantee that the new uploads won't do the same as Photobucket.

I suggest (if he agrees of course) is to throw what we can £££ in a hat and try to obtain the £250 or what ever the ransom is then at least we have our main tutorials back, we may even be able to send Lewis pictures were he can host them and place them in a "useful readers pictures" forum.

I haven't got a clue how to pay a contribution to an account but my tenner is waiting - as little or as much as you like - or nothing - if we all gave a pound the job is done.

Feel free to add feedback good or bad - just a suggestion that may help us all and others to come.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be up for that, but.... It's sort of giving into them.?

On the other hand, we loose the usage of all that info.
The posts are really hard to follow as you say.

Hard 1. Sad
PacmanL400

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=UK-Generic-Crowdfunding-Vertical-Competitor-Exact-Desktop-AlwaysOn&utm_term=go%20fund%20me%20uk

This is one of several crowd funding type pages that could be used,I am lucky that although I used Photoripoff years ago I have been using Dropbox since.
Lots of boards are having the same problem with some cases of thousands of pictures with everything from avatars through to multiple technical help photographs replaced by an upgrade sign.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many comments?  

Remember how valuable the info on here is when your broken down or facing a big garage bill.

Without everyone's input, the people that did bother,  won't be too bothered about bothering anymore.

Wink
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yoza. That is a kind thought however I have already removed all  my photos from PB, as I totally reguse to pay them a dime for their petty, underhand way, of doing business.

After the previous round of redoing image links on posts, when my PB account got hacked, I made a list of the locations of the main DIY and tech repair posts in the Moderators section, in case it happened again.

At the moment I am somewhat busy with archival work, and in a few days time I will be taking a two week 'busmans holiday' trip with some friends round the Emerald Isle.

As soon as I can I will start on replacing the PB images with links to the photos in my Box account. It will be a bit more fiddly having to view each image separately, but at least they willbe visible.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Wed Jul 19, 2017 15:58; edited 1 time in total
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, in principle I'd be willing to contribute, but I'd be happier to split that contribution between that, and funds to have a dedicated picture hosting server for the forum. As I've said elsewhere, for the latter I'd even be happy to pay a (reasonable) yearly fee.

Who's to say that the next thing they will do is change their TOC's again, and ask for £500 next?

Best thing to get folk to contribute is to actually start a crowdfunder...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:

As soon as I can I will start on replacing the PB images with links to the photos in my Box account. It will be a bit more fiddly having to view each image separately, but at least they willbe visible.

Your dedication is admirable, sir!  Smile

Might I be so forward as to make a suggestion? To save yourself from having to repeat this whole business again (heaven forbid!), perhaps it would be easiest to just make a Word document, or even a PDF, with the photos embedded, and you could link to that document on the relevant forum threads? That would keep a "whole" doc safe, just in case?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully I think I will pass on that suggestion.  I don't really want to sit at my computer writing a Delica repair manual.   Rolling Eyes   Laughing

Finding or having dozens of posts pointed out to me by members, which are missing images; and editing them to swap image links over is one thing.  Rewriting complete posts and laying out text and images, then saving it as a Word Document or a PDF is another. Far too time consuming. I know, as I prepare pdf's frequently for my former Regiments Association HQ and museum archives Dept.  I'm still smarting from having collaborated (for free) with a couple of friends a few years ago in writing a Military History book (3,000 A4 Hard Back copies with 140 pages per book) for free distribution to certain army service veterans and public libraries, then finding that some R'soles acquired multiple free copies and are selling them on E-Bay, for £40+ each to line their own pockets.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggestion you write a "Delica repair manual". Only to save your posts somewhere secure, instead of on multiple free website which give no guarantees for perpetual storage or access.

Only trying to help... but I feel I've said all I can say on the subject...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: