Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

The Old Post Office CampSite, Santon Bridge, West Cumbria.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan & Camping events, sites and useful links
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 13:21    Post subject: The Old Post Office CampSite, Santon Bridge, West Cumbria. Reply with quote

If you like the quieter parts of the Lake District, a friendly, clean and cosy site, next to a good pub, close to the coast, lakes and mountains, and good value, this is worth a look. Equally a long trail off the M6 from both North and South, but excellent Deli driving around these parts.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 13:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gotbeanz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks andyman we'e heading up to the lakes this easter time can't wait.
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 20:00    Post subject: Re: The Old Post Office CampSite, Santon Bridge, West Cumbri Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
If you like the quieter parts of the Lake District, a friendly, clean and cosy site, next to a good pub,

Very good Andy  Smile  how about a reminder next summer, 'cos this 'Ol git'll forget by then  Sad Or even next week  :?  Rolling Eyes

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if it will be open next week, Mr. D  Smile I'll need you to remind me to remind you! As for your 'No trees were harmed...' line, two have blown down on Monday night into my garden/ patio, courtesy of our local phenomenon, the Helm Wind. Miraculously, no damage to house, and plenty of logs for the fire! Gotbeanz, let me know when/ where, perhaps meet up for a 'Howdy' ,.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open until Wednesday.

NB: The campsite charges you per person + tent size + vehicle.

Tariff
Adult           £6.50 per night
Children      (under 5) Free
Children      (5-15yrs) £2.50 per night
*Car                       £2.50 per night
Backpack tent     £2.00 per night
Standard tent      (under 4m) £3.00 per night
Large tent            £6.00 per night
Electric hookup   £3.00 per night
Dogs                      £1.50 per night
Touring Caravan  £6.50 per night
*Car is not included in any unit and must be added as an extra.

So a single person with a small standard tent ( you can't sleep in your car) will cost:- £12 per night.

There is a nice little inn across the road  though. Wink :- http://www.santonbridgeinn.com

Campsite:-  http://theoldpostofficecampsite.co.uk

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Open until Wednesday.

So a single person with a small standard tent
A) ( you can't sleep in your car)
will cost:- £12 per night.

B) There is a nice little inn across the road  though. Wink :- http://www.santonbridgeinn.com

Campsite:-  http://theoldpostofficecampsite.co.uk

Looks good  Smile

A) Looked on the site, couldn't see that bit  :?

B) Have you been there  Question  Smile

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. If you want to sleep in the van you pay motorhome rates, so take a small tent and say your sleeping in that.  Rolling Eyes

B. Yes; a few years back. Some friends were doing a walk from Keswick to Seascale, via Wasdale Head. I was providing ground support, so had lunch there before heading up into the hills to setup and have a hot evening meal ready for them. They spent the night up on the fells. I slept in the van, in the pub carpark.  Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
A. If you want to sleep in the van you pay motorhome rates, so take a small tent and say your sleeping in that.  Rolling Eyes

B.  I slept in the van, in the pub carpark.  Laughing

Now, that appeals to me  Smile  - Having done that elsewhere.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my drive away awning 2.5M X 3M passes muster as a standard tent, then £12/night is good value by Lake District standards. Pub yard might be okay for a single van for a single night, but if more people for more nights, I think the camp site would be preferable. I can't see the publican letting you light a fire or barbecue in his yard, and drinking your own beer or whiskey!
gotbeanz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will drop you a line near the time mate, we are staying at Whitbarrow Village just outside keswick.
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Pub yard might be okay for a single van for a single night,

That's just what I need, for my one night stopover on the way to visit my friend in Scotland  Smile
I always divert to ogle "The Lakes" on the way "Up North"

From visiting you last year, a place like that (closer to you) would have persuaded me to stopover on my way home, .
It was nice to see you at home - but it meant doing a lot of driving in the dark.
I go out travelling to see scenery. Not that the A1 offers much  Sad

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr D. SantonBridge is well over 11/2 hours from the M6 at both Kendal and Penrith, so not a good stopover when travelling to Scotland. On the other hand, I am only 20mins east of J40 M6 Penrith!
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Gotbeanz. Whitbarrow Village is halfway between Keswick and Penrith (slightly north) and around 35 mins. from me. (Just so you don't overshoot!)
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
A) Mr D. SantonBridge is well over 11/2 hours from the M6 at both Kendal and Penrith,
B) so not a good stopover when travelling to Scotland.

C) On the other hand, I am only 20mins east of J40 M6 Penrith!

A) I think you mean 1 & 1/2 hours  Wink  So - After driving over 300 miles on the M 6 to J 36, another 40 odd miles is "local"

B) Why not  Question Driving to there, I might see parts of "The Lakes" I've not seen previously.
Not living local to that area, there's a lot I've not seen.

C) Where you live is very nice. But - - -

1) On my way to Scotland, if I were to stopover at your place overnight, I would not have time to go visit The Lakes, when I left yours.

2) That pub appears to have a nice sheltered car park. - - - Do bear in mind, I have a "Late Routine" -
Does not suit folks that I visit to stay up late. - - - When folks are spending, many pubs stay open late  Smile

In all my life I've only "camped" four times in The Lakes. First time on me bike, in the early 60s, somewhere near Cockermouth

Three times In the Deli. Once at the Kirkby Lonsdale car park, on the Hardknott Pass, and thanks to you  Smile the Coniston campsite.

I've not seen the Honister & Winlatter Passes, are they worth seeing/driving on  Question I'd like to, am I missing anything  Question

For everyone looking at this, just off J 36, head S. East (A 590) then North W. on the A 65, is the Canal Garage (Lancaster canal) = cheap Diesel fuel  Smile

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honister is a bit like the Kirkstone, rugged, steep sided and rocky, with a river/stream running beside it. Plenty of places to pull over for dramatic landscape photos. The Whinlatter ascends through mixed forests, more attractive, less mono-culture than the more boring, tall dark pine forests of Kielder, and has a visitor centre half way up, to educate you about the local flora and fauna, which I think you would prefer to avoid. You can easily do both passes in a loop off the A66, but beware of mountain bikers appearing out of the forest and crossing in front of you. I agree, an unhurried stop-over at Santon bridge is a good way to break your journey to Scotland, or when next visiting Blencarn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan & Camping events, sites and useful links All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: