Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Tow electrics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 19:46    Post subject: Tow electrics Reply with quote

(Moved to Caravan towing and technical section - Moderator section is not just for caravans but all towing & tech queries  Wink )

Just a question (or two), my off road Delica has limited milage insurance, so, couple of question's that i've been thinking about..

1, If i connected the tow electric's from the tow vehicle, to the towed Delica, would this work all the correct light's on the towed Delica :? , i know i would need to put the towing vehicle number plate on, just didn't want to have to use a light board..

2, If i used a tow A frame, with the key in the first, (radio on position), would this still put the miles, or KPH's on the speedo Question , or would i need to disconnect the prop shaft..

Both vehicles have separate insurance so there will be no problems there, just I'd better mention this before somebody else does..

Many thank's 8-)

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 19:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought no and a light board is the only way there as you make the lights etc work by operating them from inside the cab there is no other way as to the odometer i wonder where it gets it signal from.
Bazza :D

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tow an auto Delica with an A frame there is a good chance you will wreck the gearbox, most auto gearboxes you can't tow with the driven wheels on the ground or connected by the prop.

And you will need a light board if you are towing it.
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you could tow the blugger backwards with it in 2WD and the rear wheels in the dolly and a light board and if the odometer is driven from anywhere other than the front wheels jobs a goodun.
Bazza
ps but as you know i know nuffin Laughing

buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

But my way of thinking is if the towed vehicle is getting power from the towing vehicle then why shouldn't the light's work Question ..
They would both be wired up the same, it would just be like a big 2 tonne lightboard Laughing  Laughing

Good point about the auto box..

One dent at a time...
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spose is you wired the "trailer" socket into the loom and the respective wires for brakes etc it would work but a light board is easier.
Bazza :D

Munfred
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally you shouldnt be towing a car above 750kg on an A frame unless it is for emergency recovery purposes.
A lot of the motorhomes that tow cars behind them on an A frame have electronic braking devices which cause the towed vehicle to brake when the motorhome does and in that sence making the towed vehicle a braked trailer. These are apparently legal in europe but there is as far as I know nothing making them legal or illegal in the UK.

You can get braked towing dollys which in a way make the Delica you are towing into a trailer. Lighting boards are cheap enough but make sure you get the right size as the lights legally are supposed to be at a certain height and width dependant on what is being towed.
You will also need to disconnect the prop.
Personally I wouldn't fancy lifting the back end and leaving the front wheels on the ground as they will turn as they want and probably cause the towed vehicle to weave all over the place.

Keep an eye on ebay as cheap trailers are always coming up. We managed to pick on up for a couple of hundred quid which needed some work to it. Much easier and safer to use, the only downside is they take up room.
Toni-s

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munfred wrote:
Personally I wouldn't fancy lifting the back end and leaving the front wheels on the ground as they will turn as they want and probably cause the towed vehicle to weave all over the place.

Good posting Munfred, but.................

If the key is removed and steering lock is engaged there would not be a problem!

Couple of things to remember though, if using a towing dolly you are going to increase the height of an already tall vehicle and if recovering with an "A" frame (not a good idea with an auto box) then the towed vehicle must be road legal!

2 wheels on the ground your fine, all 4 and it needs all the paperwork  Wink
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheer's, as stated i've got all paperwork, it's taxed, insured, mot'd, all road legal, i've got a lightboard, have towed with a trailer, twin axle with a Daihatsu Fourtrack, but wouldn't do it again Shocked
i do understand that they must be legal, and it don't take much for something to, err, "breakdown" officer Laughing , it was just to keep the mileage down for4 insurance reason's, and to have something to get me back when i break it..

One dent at a time...
Toni-s

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was taking vehicles to off road sites i looked into towing dollys & "A" frames. Mostly was only for an SJ so didn't need to be anything major. What i did take in to account was "accidents do happen" and with that decided it had to be a trailer. If the worst happened and i rolled it and destroyed more than 2 tyres then i was taking it home on an "A" frame or dolly. However, on a trailer it didn't matter what happened or what state it was in! As long as we could winch it on to the trailer and strap it down securely thats all that mattered  Wink
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the RAC for that Laughing , but if i take my other toy along then i've a winch on the front to get me out of trouble, and i can check the lanes ahead and scout for new lanes without damage to the others Delica's

One dent at a time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: