Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Towing horse float and towbar 'tongue rating'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IsleofLismore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:28    Post subject: Towing horse float and towbar 'tongue rating' Reply with quote

Hi folks. I've been doing lots of reading on here and elswhere on towing capacities, and have come to the conclusion I should be able to safely tow my 2000kg twin axle braked horse float (anyone disagree?)

My problem is though, my local towbar maker and installer says he can do me a towbar rated to 2000kg but with a tongue rating of only 65kg. This seems to me to be very small, and my float is certainly a lot heavier than that on the tongue, perhaps up to 200kg. Is this common, or should I be able to get one made or supplied that can cope easily with my float? Thanks for any advice.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Delica2800tdi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

More than likely, the guy told you that to play on the safe side. (He would be responsible if anything happened otherwise)
But a 200 kg nose weight sounds a bit heavy for any vehicle to be honest with you, I think you would be pushing your luck with that much weight on the nose)

The Delica was never sold new in the UK so it was never given a max nose rating.

I have personally towed a twin axle trailer weighing approx 800 kgs with a 1200 kg compact tractor on the back. Basically 2000 kgs (2 ton) overall.

I found the Delica to be very stable! Although I should point out I have a 2" lift on my Delica with uprated springs and shocks which will make a difference!

Watch out towing heavy loads with the original suspension as it's more than likely worn out!!

The more weight you have in the Delica the better!

Hope this helps.
jay.g

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow hitch ratings are normally 65kg or 100kg type this is only nose weight and the bulk of the weight is on the trailer axle, I tow a big twin axe caravan on the road limit of 1750kg, as long as the trailer weight dosn't go over 85% of vehicle kerb side weight you will be fine. as said before some Deli's rear springs are not as strong especially if old but other wise the Delica is a great towing motor. Have towed a 3 ton plant trail with a fergy tractor on it and that seemed really happy on it. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: