4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

KUHMO Tyres - Any Good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numptys numnuts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 15:43    Post subject: KUHMO Tyres - Any Good Reply with quote

I am about to replace all my tyres on my vehicle in the next week or so as they are a bit on the low tread side. Sounds great on smooth tarmac, tight turning circle Twisted Evil but not good for the policeman. Crying or Very sad

Would like peoples opinion on the above mentioned tyre.

If I had the money I would go for an exact replacement but as money is a bit tight at the moment I have been left with this option.

In all it will cost me

£47.75 per tyre including £17.00 delivery = £208

and around £10 - 15 per tyre for fitting which includes valves, balancing and disposal plus they are the same size as my originals (30/950/R15). Therefore giving a grand total of £248 - 268.

Compared with £398 for some (265/70/R15) Bridgestones.

KD-PE8W-HSEXF 2 H81E
(It's a Beast from the East)
Rolled off Production 03/02/95
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 15:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi numpty

I've been running Kumho tyres for the last 8 mths and have been pleased with them, especially as they only cost £56 each inc. !

Mine are

Kumho Road Venture AT (M+S) 30x9.50 R15 LT 104S

They fit on a standard rim nicely and do not stick out past the wheel arch but right upto the edge of it.

I've found the have good grip in the wet (4WD mode) and did well in the brief winter snows we had.
Haven't done any 'real' offroading in them, but have mucked around on the local mud tracks and they've done well (bearing in mind the tread pattern has a slight road bias).

They seem to be wearing okay - although I've only done about 6,000 miles on them. Done a fair bit of motorway driving and they are quiet.

I am sure other tyres are better, but for the cash wonga dished out I'm well pleased. :D
mr101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you live quite close to them go to Micheldever tyres where i paid £54 each including fitting and balancing using stick on weights that don`t damage your alloys, found them to be better off road than BFG all terrain. :D :D
SIIa Lt/wt (1969)
Suzuki Vitara (1996) Madams everyday car
Fc101gs (1975) for real off roading and recovering Japanese 4x4`s that try to follow me.
Range Rover L322 4.4 V8 Vogue (petrol)
ArchAngel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone rotate their wheels like it says to do in the owners manual?
bobgell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginja, any chance of posting a pic of your wagon showing those 30x9.5 's close up ?

I will have to fit 4 new ones to mine when it comes and was thinking of 31x10.5 's as I read here somewhere that these would clear the arches okay. Not sure whether they might stick out sideways a bit though, seeing as yours just fit the width. I am wondering whether the 30x 9.5 's may be a better option?

How do these 30 or 31 inch diameters measure up to the standard tyre spec diameters? (Thinking of gearing and speedo readings.)

Interesting that Kumho's are found better off road than BFG's. Will they wear as well though seeing as Bfg's seem go on for ever!

Interesting point about rotation too. How do peoples wear? Certainly the Hilux I use for work balls off all edges of the front tyres bald in no time and they won't change them because 75% of the width is still okay! (Apparently they all do this too). The backs just wear flat in the middle, so I rotate these front to back when half worn to make best use, as those half bald but legal fronts are useless off road.

Do Deli's do this too? If so, then rotation would be a good idea.

Cheers,

Robin
numptys numnuts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you supposed to rotate the Front Right with Rear Left and the same with the otherside (think this is 4WD only) or you can do what this says.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/care/rotation.asp

As for wear mine wear on the outside wall on front probably due to it being rear wheel drive with a big engine block above the front axles.

KD-PE8W-HSEXF 2 H81E
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go - don't have any real close ups at the moment.

First of all I requested the wider size you mention, but when they went to fit them, they looked like they were going to about 1" - 1.5" past the wheel arch. I only had a few days before the MOT, so dare not risk it. Maybe later I will fit some extended wheel arches, then I can go for them. :D

Smile
bobgell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Ginja,

The old tub looks a real treat mate :D . Those 30" ones look about the same diameter as the metric standard spec ones. Do you think they are?

As you say, the wider ones would no doubt stick out a bit, and an extra bit of height would add to that chunkiness too I reckon. Hmmm. :?

Probably 33" ones would be too big for the suspension travel and the arches without a lift?

When the time comes I will have to talk nicely to my local tyre provider and see if he'll try out a couple of different sizes. I'm not too bothered about time as I won't be MOT'ing immediately, although the tyres will be needed for the MOT, so may have to sort some arches if necessary too, or otherwise a cheap couple of std remoulds "for MOT purposes only" Ha ha. Laughing

I think you could be right about the tyre wear numpty, re the heavy engine block up front.

cheers,

Robin
numptys numnuts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you after tyres how about this setup. Think it covers everyones requirements.

http://4wdsuv.auto-g.jp/pic/parts_180/2004-08-026-28-281-1.jpg

Wish it was a bigger picture but for 840,000Yen its yours.

PS

Thanks for the advice on the tyres will be ordering my set tomorrow. Laughing

KD-PE8W-HSEXF 2 H81E
bobgell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cracker and that's a fact.

You can get those tyres from, I think, either John Craddock of Cannock, (Landy people) or Bronco's. I think they are probably something like 35 or 38" x 14.5 x 15. I can't quite remember. Not sure whether they are road legal though here actually with that tread pattern.

The simple arch extensions are effective too. I was actually thinking of knocking up something like those myself when the time comes. (Not quite so wide though).

Nice lift kit too.

Cheers,

Robin
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobgell wrote:

Quote:
Those 30" ones look about the same diameter as the metric standard spec ones. Do you think they are?

Going by the speedo I would say they are - there's no noticeable change in speed/rpm combinations - top speed is still a smidgen over a 1**mph. Wink
numptys numnuts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got myself a new set of tyres all round and it handles great.

£244.60 all in all. Only thing is the writing on the wheel walls was supposed to be white but mine have come with Blue writing so it looks a bit odd but it does match the go faster stripes so the wife is happy.

KD-PE8W-HSEXF 2 H81E
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya matey :D
Youll find after the first few washes the blue writing will turn white as if by magic Shocked the blue stuff is a protective film of some description to protect the white writing from scuffing or getting cr4pped up in transit,when u have washed it sometimes it goes flakey and falls off but generally a few washes thats it,hope it helps ya matey all the best

Marc 8)

petemillis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArchAngel, I rotate my wheels by driving along as per the instructions in the owner's manual. Soz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: