Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

EGR valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delta39

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 16:12    Post subject: EGR valve Reply with quote

Hi all.
  Could anyone tell me if blanking off the EGR valve will result  in higher fuel consumption please?
         Regards David.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 16:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but what I do know is that Mitsubishi put there for a reason.

I have blanked my EGR, for 4 months or so.

Then decided to take it off fix it, and clean it. Smile

I do this now every 6 months, its easy to do.

Simply take out the two bolts holding it to alloy manifold with a 12mm socket, then take off two nuts holding the brown/copper pipe to the exhaust manifold with the same socket.

Disconnect the vac pipe and take the unit to the garage/shed.

There you can take off the brown/copper pipe, again two bolts, same socket, this will leaving you with the valve alone.

The valve has a plunger connected to bellows, clean the plunger end, and inside the chamber with a flat bladed screw driver, chip away at the carbon until the plunger moves up and down freely.

Check its movement using the handle end of a screwdriver by pressing down on the plunger, once its moving freely, and closing on its own power, ie opening and closing the apperture, leave it in a jar of petrol for a hour or so.  Idea

Going back to it every now and again and scrub it with a stiff paintbrush, do this a few times...... Then re-fit.

One fully working EGR valve, like our Japanese friends designed it.  Wink

Also go to forum titled EGR and there are lots of " fors and againsts " for blanking the valve, and lots of photos too.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 17:26    Post subject: Re: ERG valve Reply with quote

delta39 wrote:
Hi all.
  Could anyone tell me if blanking off the EGR valve will result  in higher fuel consumption please?
         Regards David.

Also see this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15394

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest the egr is just there to prevent the release of nitrogen dioxide which is part of the jap emissions test.. as the poor buggers tend to live in valleys as most of japan is mountainous, so its like LA with their smog problem, but nitrogen dioxide goes towards making acid rain

from what I've read on the paj forum UK shoguns with the same engine as ours (4m40) didn't have this fitted in the uk

the EGR makes the engine rebreathe the exhaust fumes at certian throttle settings, so it lowers the combustion temp = less nitrogen dioxide

as per the fuel consuption thing, no idea! i should imagine having an engine breathing cold clean air will perform better than one breathing is own output
pitbull2001
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people thinks it does something to combustion temperatures when its working..Can't see it myself making much difference..All i can say is for the past 5 years been running a blanked off egr, and where prior to blanking the egr i used to have smoke on acceleration, it now burns cleaner than my 53 plate diesel mondeo in that there is no smoke apart from a cold start up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: