4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Feeding power to the battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 22:59    Post subject: Feeding power to the battery Reply with quote

I have got two amps (one 30W and one 20W) which I want to install at the weekend. I have thought of two ways to connect the +12 power, but I am not sure if one way is possible.

1. Route the power cable to the battery from the inside of the car. Does anyone know where is the best place to feed the wire on the firewall? I haven't looked yet, but I am sure there will be somewhere designed for this.

2. Another way may be to connect to the fusebox inside the car and use a couple of empty slots. Is this possible? I don't want to try as it may overload the main electrical cable in, but if somebody knows it is possible, I'll give it a go!

Can't wait to get them in!! :D
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 22:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the best place but the easiest place I found, was behind the glove box, that way you come out right by the battery and it's easy to get the grommet into the bulkhead. Don't be tempted to leave this out, as after a few thousand miles or less, the sharp metal ridge can chaffe through the power cable.
Once you have come through the bulkhead, it's easy to run under the carpet.
I fitted an 800w amp beneath the front passenger seat, srewed to the frame of the seat itself.
Dubs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:37    Post subject: Security to seat Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I did tink the best place would be the seat, and this would allow for it to be moved forward and backwards (the seat that is) without damaging the AMP. Which part of the seat did you secure it to?
Oyabun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you have installed a nice, but rather expensive seat heating. :-)

Ben wrote:
I don't know if it's the best place but the easiest place I found, was behind the glove box, that way you come out right by the battery and it's easy to get the grommet into the bulkhead. Don't be tempted to leave this out, as after a few thousand miles or less, the sharp metal ridge can chaffe through the power cable.
Once you have come through the bulkhead, it's easy to run under the carpet.
I fitted an 800w amp beneath the front passenger seat, srewed to the frame of the seat itself.

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amp is screwed uspide down, onto the metal plate that supports the seat squab, this way the cooling fins are pointing downwards, allowing a free flow of air.
I did worry to start with about heat build up, but there doesn't appear to be any.
I've never had a thermal cutout, even during 38 degree outside temperatures, during a trip to France last season.
Jev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped a hole thru the drivers foot well. - Will take a picture sometime.
I just found a nice flat area about 5 inches to the left of the brake pedal and about 5 inches off the "floor" - that way I knew I wouldn't hit anything on the engine side. I then ran the big cable along the bulk head - using other clips and things to secure the new wire - lots of other cables run that way too. - Then past the washer bottle to the battery and a big chunky fuse sits in front of my battery. As for the amp - it is now under the drivers seat and the power leads go behind the carpet and around by the fuse box to the right of the drivers right foot. then the wire runs under the plastic lip at the top of the step - there is enough room for 2 wires to fit and replace the plastic trim over the top.
The seat bolts make pretty good earth points for the amp too.
Dubs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just found a nice flat area about 5 inches to the left of the brake pedal and about 5 inches off the "floor"

Is that the rectangular piece of rubber that the gear shift cable runs though? I was thinking of drilling through this as there is LOADS of room around it. Could not find any other easily accessible place in the L400.

Thanks for the info about the cable feeding. I think I will bolt the AMP to the seat inself as suggested by Ben, although the drivers seat if the first choice because of the passenger seat drawer (AMP a little too big!, oh yes!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: