Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fell off axle stand!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 20:57    Post subject: Fell off axle stand! Reply with quote

A sobering lesson in not hurrying a job on nearly 2 ton of vehicle.

Took kids and wife to cinema so knew I had a little while to spare - thought I'd rotate the tyres front to back in the time... anyway, NORMALLY I'd put a fat plunk under my axle stand so it doesn't dig into the gravel.  I must've forgotten in my rush.

So I had the front jacked, dropped on the stand, and the wheel off.

I was just jacking under the rear axle when I heard a scary noise - gravel slowly crunching from the front of the Deli.  Looking forward, I saw the stand slowly tilting over...

At this stage, the "what the hell can I throw under the front?" question went through my mind - grabbed the section of tree trunk I use to chop logs on... but it was too fat... the Deli is slowly tipping over still... run around side of house to grab a couple of scaffold planks (that I normally use to put the stands on), and threw them under the hub carrier just seconds before the Deli drops to the ground.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Definitely a lucky escape - no damage done - but a sobering experience nonetheless...

(Photo taken after putting the jack back under the front to take the load)

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 20:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dantheman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! and lucky!

I'm still waiting for the jack i ordered as my current one doesn't even go up to the jack point lol!
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joys of gravel and weight!!

Those scaffold planks look like the sort of thing you should have been using under the stands.

Like you say, stupid mistake and all too easy when rushing! You're a lucky boy......I can't believe it went slowly enough for you to run around getting wood under there! lessos learnt etc... Wink

Gravel and jacking vehicles is a far from ideal combination.....so get yourself plenty of heavy duty load spreaders (like those scaffold planks)

Lucky, lucky, lucky!  8-)

tttonyyy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shaking from the adrenaline rush for some time after - just couldn't believe what had happened!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err! what did you have that jack stand located under?

The jacking point it should have been put under is just visible poking down behind the front wishbone.

Surely it didn't fall that many feet forward and sideways!  :?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

That big round crossmember that runs side-to-side between the jacking points (fits nicely into the rounded top of the axle stand, usually!)
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttonyyy wrote:
That big round crossmember that runs side-to-side between the jacking points (fits nicely into the rounded top of the axle stand, usually!)

Bad - Very Bad!  Evil or Very Mad

That is much to unstable to use for putting a single axle stand under.  It would act as the fulcrum point on a see-saw and result in - well exactly what happened. It should only be used as the jacking point for lifting the Deli!

Use the crossmember for jacking up the vehicle and then put two axle stands under the side jacking points. once the vehicle is safely lowered onto those and stable use the jack to lift each of the rear wheels in turn to remove them and then put the front wheel onto the rear and lower it down ASAP.

PS: Buy a proper trolley Jack rather than use the toolkit one!  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh yeah the reason I've been putting the axle stand there is to use the bottle-jack on the closer jack point (otherwise there wouldn't be room to waggle the handle up and down).  To date this has not been a problem with the base of the axle stand properly supported (fat plank) but as previously stated my mistake was hurrying and not paying attention...

Ironically I do have a big trolley jack but the seals need replacing (I've got the kit for it but not yet got around to it  Rolling Eyes).  Now might be a good time!  ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: