Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Small cans of Waxoyl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 17:48    Post subject: Small cans of Waxoyl Reply with quote

When I fitted the exhaust, I caught the hanger for the stabiliser rod on the rear axle and scratched it. I haven't had the car undersealed yet (or rather; the person that imported it didn't have it done and as such the car has surface rust underneath in various place), so I got a can of the black aerosol Waxoyl to quickly cover that area before it got salt water on it, in case I can't get the underseal done soon.

Whilst there I got the kit for clear/proper waxoyl.

Anyway, the spray can stuff. Is it going to do any harm to have put some on the inner edges of the sill where I noticed some surface rust? I figure it can't do any harm, but perhaps won't do as much good as a proper treatment would.

"Osiris" - Citroën C6 HDi
Plus A-class and MX5 shared.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 17:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get as much off as you can, hit it with KRUST or a similar rust killing product then hit it with a the waxoil...I hate tinworm!
RichardK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the approach I'll take to the panel behind the wheel arch liner where I found some rust; Jenolite is in the local factors, so I'll remove the trim and so forth, wire brush, Jenolite and Waxoyl it comprehensively. The stuff I've covered up is just the "brown staining" sort of rust, not flaking/rot thankfully. If I had rot in the sills I'd probably be less calm ;)

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the only difference is that one is black and one is clear, with the product itself containing the same undersealing properties.  The Clear was more designed for use inside the door and wall panels, internal floors, bulkhead and box sections.

The product is soluble in turps and you can always clean it off with a steam pressure cleaner.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
RichardK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's black and clear, but also some Waxoyl (black) in a spray can.

My original thought was to have the car done professionally (heh. Having done a bit myself, I reckon the difference is that the professional has a ramp to park the car on) and get the spray can in clear to do the engine bay in a nice, simple way. However, they only offer black in a spray can apparently (Google suggests otherwise, so I might need to train my motor factor).

Anyway, armed with this (mis)information I bought the kit with some clear, so I'll have fun with the pressure can and squirty lance things, which appear to be "hose with a screw in the end".

I might get the underseal for my not-rusty wheelarches/wheelwells, since it's supposed to be less good for rust, but better for stonechip resistance.

I feel like my friends' parents must have in the 80s, desperately trying to keep their (worryingly young, in hindsight) P-registered Cortina on the road with tubs of bitumen paint. That car, when we had a W-reg Audi and Mk IV Cortinas were everywhere (the Sierra had just been launched) seemed like it was so ancient, and yet it was actually a mere 6 or 7 years old - yet the door bottoms were rusting away, and it was constantly being worked on.

THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't bother with the sqirty pressurised bit of tube wax oil thing....use a brush it will be a LOT less frustrating and you will get less on yourself, the ground, the cat, the dog - in fact the only thing you won't get it on with one of those in my experience is the CAR...
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraffin gun and 100psi, water the waxoyl down with some white spirit and have at it.
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i used a underseal gun...and about 90 psi but yep its the way to go!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardK wrote:
There's black and clear, but also some Waxoyl (black) in a spray can.

If you mean this stuff:- Hammerite Underbody Seal with Waxoyl then forget it.  I bought two cans and most of it dribbled out of the spray cap and down the can and my fingers. They both went in the bin half full.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
RichardK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it wasn't that - it was the normal waxoyl, and it sprayed really well. The underbody seal is harder and less good at protecting rusty areas apparently...

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about anyone else but Strangerover and mine have bene sprayed with:-

ルイス
RichardK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shutz stuff is the Bitumen, heavy stuff that dries and needs more maintenance, but offers better protection from grit/stones. I don't like it if I think the car will need repairs, but it's a good protection for undamaged/fresh imports.

jd_n_coke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:31    Post subject: waxoil Reply with quote

I've just waxoiled mine with the hamerite clear waxoil that has a rust eater included into it, the presurised can was not that good but putting the can in hot water for about a hour seemed to help sayin that i ended up using about 7 ltrs of the stuff underneith, 2 hrs later n probably 5 ltrs of it on me its all done Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: