Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L200 Wheels and tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:15    Post subject: L200 Wheels and tyres Reply with quote

Thought I posted this elsewhere but no one's responded Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I've got the chance to get hold of L200 wheels, J16X6JJDOT.
They had 265.70.R16 tyres on them.

Could I go any wider than 265?

Elsewhere people have mentioned 8X16.
Presumably the above are 6X16.

If I got hold of 8X16 what tyres would fit?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

petemillis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, you definitely can't go wider than a 265 tyre without some serious work. I'm running 265/70R16s on a 7 inch wide rim and it's at its max. Your best bet is to try the L200 wheels and tyres on to check the offset and do some full lock up and down hill reversing manouvres. You'll soon see what I mean about 265s being the biggest you squeeze in. As it is I've had to do some modifications with a hammer (to smack the front madflap mounting back) and hacksaw (to cut some of the plastic away on the front bottom of the wheel arch.
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told 235s were the max you could fit safely on a 6" rim :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,

Sorry I didn't answer your comment, I meant to - but must have forgotten somewhere along the way (my brain is MUSH near the end of term!! :? )

The reason nobody can give a definitive answer is because L200 wheels come in many different variations! :?

The L200 wheels on Colin's L400 (in THIS thread) are 7" wide. As for the offset - I really couldn't tell you. They didn't foul any of the running gear (supsension etc...) but did protrude a 'healthy' amount from the bodywork - although this is more the tyre than the wheel itself.

They had 265 tyres on and certainly seemed to suit the 7" rim. I think if you were to put the same tyres on a 6" rim, they would probably bulge a LOT at the sides (too wide a tyre on too narrow a rim) and could cause a LOT of body-roll when cornering (especially when considering the lofty profile of 4x4 tyres! Shocked )

As Russ says, 235's are a much more suited tyre to this sort of rim (or 30/9.5/15 in imperial size - and 'slightly' bigger - although I don't know if they do this size in a 16"??)

Without actually trying the wheels on the car, I really couldn't tell you if 6" with 265's would work - and even if they fitted without rubbing.....how would it drive/handle/stop etc... :?

As said - unfortunately there is no answer to this due to the enormous amount of configurations of tyre size/rim width/offset etc....

A good example I can give you is this:

I have a 'few' sets of wheels I've gradually built up for the Mystery Machine. Two of the sets are BOTH 7" rims, both sets have 31/10.5/15 tyres, both are BF Goodrich tyres (so far identical) but the offset is different. One set fits with a fair amount of work on the arches (the set I had on at the Worcester meet) and the other set stick out a lot further and catch the arches BADLY when the wheel is turned because of the different offset (even WITH the arches trimmed & modified)

The wheels that Colin is buying from me are 8" wide (1" more than his current L200 ones) yet only stick out about 1/2 inch more!

Sorry if I'm going on - I just want to make sure you don't end up buying a set of wheels that you'll regret! Wink From what I can remember, you have the L400 alloys on at the moment. These are 6" wide anyway (although 15" rather than 16") so you might be best to look at the width of the tyres on these rims (225's probably unless you've changed them?) and see how much they bulge out. Then imagine going for wider tyres (235's) - would probably look okay? Then imagine going even wider (quite a bit wider!) on the very SAME rims - you'll probably see where I'm coming from??

I've PM'd you my number if you want to have a chat or fire any other questions at me......I've just realised the length of this post, and I'm imagining you asleep about 1/2 way through it!! Laughing so I'll stop here..... :D

Best of luck with it all, and don't forget to ring me if you're unsure....

Regards,

Bruce.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: