Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Tow Bar Fitting Prob?>

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete Nice machine quick question who fitted your towbar, it is the same as mine except mine is twisted and can I h*** get it straight.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 15:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

petemillis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the towbar myself. When I first offered it up I thought it was going to be wrong so revisited the fitting instructions and figured it out properly.
Did you fit yours or get someone else to do it? There are a couple of spacer pieces and if these are put in the wrong places then the towbar will be a bit wonkey donkey or droopy.
PM me if you like.
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete yes it is down on one side but can not see why . Your square bar at the back seems to be sitting correctly mine is down at one side and tilted back. looking at it the holes seem to be drilled wrong cos if I take out one bolt at each side I can level it up. The guy who fitted it a large towbar fitting set up in my area said it came from Watling towbars.
Dave
petemillis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, give me a call tomorrow morning on 01273 382456 and we can compare fitting live! It sounds to me like spacers have been put on in the wrong place. I initially thought the end plates had been drilled wrong and ended up drilling 2 more holes myself, before realising I'd put 2 of the spacers in the wrong place. I'd be happy to talk to you about it.
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pete Thanks for that will ring when I can, I am at work tomorrow until about 14.00 but will ring until I catch you in . I can see what you mean if I put 2 spacers in 1 side and 1 in the other that might level it up.
Thanks Dave
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wrecknett

My towbar is also Watlings.

The dealer fitted it and it looked just like yours sounds :? if you know what I mean Laughing

I got in touch with Watlings and they refitted it for me (free of charge :D )
just had to take my Deli to them 8)
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beat I am at the other end of the country to Watlings I think. I can see what is wrong I think but it has been sprung ito place and the bolts tightened. I need a full day at it to study it. If I could drop the left hand bracket on the eye down that would do for now. Pete might have the instructions. Just seen a L reg Super Exceed for sale up here with blinds wish I could win the lottery. I have got to go and have a look.
Dave
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth seeing if mine is fitted the same as Pete's.
The LWB model is slightly different on the chassie tho' :?
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Dave C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 21:10    Post subject: z Reply with quote

fitted a watlings bar to my L300 and had to slot one of the holes slightly to true it up,may weld it all together to prevent any movement in future
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip Dave C I think I will have to slot mine on one side
Dave C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it for me added repair washer and then star type lock washer.Good luck
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
When I fitted mine, I had to file the towing eyes to flatten them to allow the spacers to fit properly against them.
I also found I needed a spacer on each side (about 10mm high) where the 'Z' shape bracket bolt through the chassis - I used large square M10 roofing washer from B&Q to do this.
Once I sorted these points, it all came together and is upright and square. :D

I decided to assemble it on the floor before I fitted it - just as well 'cos there was a spacer missing !

Wrecknett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Ginja thats exactly what they have done to mine . Now I see said the blind man. That would tilt it staight and if I drop the left side thats it.
Cooooooo Laughing Laughing
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginja You do have to drill the top hole in the loop at each side cos i will have to slot one of them, cos they have been drilled.
Dave
petemillis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "putting it together on the floor thing" doesn't help it go on straight. Provided the spacers and bar go onto the towing eyes correctly it will be straight. You then put on the bracing bars last and crank them up really tight . If you have these on first then it makes it REALLY difficult to fit the tow bar brackets in the correct place and you can't level up the bar properly..
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete's right - The last parts to fit are the 'Z' bars (as per their instructions). (In fact I didn't get the job done in one go, so drove around for a week with these missing one).
They have to be 'persuaded' into postion, but their shape will allow you to tension the bar once you've got the bolt to line up with the hole on the chassis.
I found fitting the washers I mentioned earlier allowed it to fit flat against the chassis, thus allowing the fixing bolt to line up 'square'.

I only assembled it on the floor to make sure I had all the bits and also to get it straight in my mind which bits went where.

I slotted only one of the LH bracket M8 clearence hole by 1mm or 2mm to get a good fit (if I remeber correctly).
I found it was better to assemble it with all the fixings 'loose'. Then tighten them up in turn, making sure the bar stayed square. The 'Z' shape brackets do not affect the attitude of the towbar. They add the 'belt and braces' to the towing eye fixings.

Before any of this, I drilled and tapped a series of M6 holes, and used cable clips to secure the cable, rather than tiewrapping around the whole bar.
I have also hung my foglight of the side of it, to prevent damaging the light when offroad.
The final things I did was fill (with expanding foam) the opening on the tow hitch mounting plate frame, painted the whole lot in smooth H*mmerite and the W*xoyled the bracketry underneath.

I must say now that I think the towbar is a good quality heavy duty towbar and I found Watlings extremely helpful when I contacted them about assembly and my missing part.  :D
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 22:01    Post subject: Last Towbar Post Reply with quote

Hi everyone I think I have got it, it needs to be dropped down to the bottom of the eye on the passenger side so I will take the second bolt out and elongate the hole good word I used to be a toolmaker 200 years ago. Thanks Beat and Dave C I will ring tomorrow Pete
Dave
alan S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
we have got the same hardware on ours,fitted at the dealers (badly) and had the same problems plus it wasn't even bolted though the tow eyes!
I feel the Z bars where they meet the chassis rails could be a weak point but I have not seen any distortion as yet.
we have probable covered about 1000-1200 miles towing and not needed to retighten/adjust any fixings.

regards
Alan
Silver delivered
It's not DELICAte
founding member? of the rollover group
terriermad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towequipe have changed the design of there towbar so that it no loger has to be fitted to the towing eye as this is what causes the most problems,its very neat and took me under an hour to fit,no bad for a woman!,so anyone looking for a towbar i Can't recommend them highly enough
Wrecknett

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to Pete by phone, its okay I have got it it sorted . It will be fixed Alan. Has your gearbox been fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: