Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 Auto Hubs System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:53    Post subject: L300 Auto Hubs System Reply with quote

Originally posted by joolz

jo0lz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To aid Bruce(MysteryMachine) and alllay his fears about his wheel lock light here is a description of what I know about L300's Auto Hubs......

Most L300's have Auto Hubs on the front
These work by locking up once the vehicle is in FWD and travelling. This means that the front axle drive system is operational and driving the front wheels. This is when the 'wheel lock' light comes on in the dashboard. It basically means your front wheels are locked into being driven by the FWD system.

Once you have deselected FWD these Auto Hubs on the front will typically remain locked, the 'wheel lock' light stays on in the dashboard, UNTIL the Auto Hubs sense a lack of 'drive' going to the front wheels.

Quickest way to UNLOCK these Auto Hubs on the front is to go in reverse in 2WD for about 10-20 metres then the 'wheel lock' light goes out in the dashboard to show that the front hubs are now FREEWHEELING.

This basically means that the front wheels and hubs are spinning WITHOUT the front driveshafts and diff. Giving you better fuel economy when in 2WD on the road.

If you are Green Laning you will typically leave the front hubs LOCKED while driving in 2WD on tarmac stretches of your journey.
THIS DOES NO HARM TO THE TRANSMISSION IF YOUR ARE NOT IN FWD
It simply means that the front wheels turning as you drive also rotate the front driveshafts and diff as the wheels are locked to the drive system.

Hope that reduces your fears Bruce?

Jo0lz

deaning

I have an earlier model L300 and usually find going in reverse, 2WD for about 5m is enough. May be a longer distance required for newer models. Not sure.

jo0lz
Hmmm seems to be no set distance really
Sometimes mine dis-engages after less than 10m sometimes longer?
Have no idea if there is a set distance it needs to go backwards.
SO long as they do EVENTUALLY dis-engage I'm happy.
Jo0lz

Mystery Machine

Thanks mate, the most accurate and easy to understand definition I've seen. Perfectly pitched at someone my level!!

Will call you in next few days re: roofrack.

Regards,

Bruce.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two more hub possibilities:

My manual gearbox model has fixed hubs, they are always locked, and the driveshafts always turn.

Aftermarket manual hubs; these may have been fitted, you need to hop out and lock them yourself before getting stuck. These seem very popular amongst the off road fraternity due to failures of the standard auto hubs.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: