Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fitting the radio Band 'extender'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L400SH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:48    Post subject: Fitting the radio Band 'extender' Reply with quote

I thought I'd put this here rather than under the FAQ postings which deal with this because those of you with more knowledge and experience might see a hole in my cunning plan.. I've just done the conversion and may have found a short cut Wink :
remove ashtray and ashtray holder (2 screws)
pull out and then remove cup holder (2 screws)
reach up and to the left (facing forward) and locate the arial plug in the back of the radio. Pull it out, replace with 'extender' plug and rejoin to aril input.
Connect the red wire by Scotch connector to the live wire of the cigar lighter and reassamble.
It's about 20 minutes work Exclamation and seems to do the job or have I missed something Rolling Eyes ?

Grey colour-coded bars, twin Kenlowes, curtains, Autohaven +, rear underseat box, Before 'n After Waxoiled.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me Wink
I went in the very same way (through the ashtray) to add another phono lead to my head unit 8)

Could save a lot of broken dashies Wink
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Steve Wink

But just remember, no-one likes a smarta**e. Especially someone who's just broke their dash when they did it the hard way Evil or Very Mad Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Russ, smarta**es always get their just deserts so i'm expecting that either the radio will blow up or the cigar lighter will fuse.. or both! Embarassed

Grey colour-coded bars, twin Kenlowes, curtains, Autohaven +, rear underseat box, Before 'n After Waxoiled.
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. I've got to do this job in a short while so may I ask what is a scotch connector and where do you get them from?

Also, is getting aband expanders from ebay as good as anywhere else?

Thanks in advance
Mr Bean
L400SH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr B, I can get an extender for £40, is that good or not, I have no idea? A Scotch connector is a small plastic clip with which you can connect two cables, one with an end available and one already connected at both ends. The clip has two channels, one goes right through and you lay the complete cable into it, the other stops half way and you put the cable for which you have an end (in this case the red cable of the extender) into that channel. Then you fold over the plastic cover and squeeze hard (preferably with flat ended pliers), the squeezing pushes down a metal tab which captures both cables and connects them together. They are available from any car accessory shop or DIY store. Hope this helps.

Indigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveH wrote:
Hi Mr B, I can get an extender for £40, is that good or not, I have no idea? A Scotch connector is a small plastic clip with which you can connect two cables, one with an end available and one already connected at both ends. The clip has two channels, one goes right through and you lay the complete cable into it, the other stops half way and you put the cable for which you have an end (in this case the red cable of the extender) into that channel. Then you fold over the plastic cover and squeeze hard (preferably with flat ended pliers), the squeezing pushes down a metal tab which captures both cables and connects them together. They are available from any car accessory shop or DIY store. Hope this helps.

as far as i am aware £40 is way over the odds for one, i think they are in the region of £10- £15. never had to pay for one as our dealer threw us in free, so i can't see them costing much ;)
IanFJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 14:20    Post subject: Fitting the radio Band 'extender' Reply with quote

If you can wait a while I will hopefully be putting a new UK spec Radio/CD in mine soon, once done you can have my expander for the cost of postage.

Cheers

IanJ
Mr Bean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 16:29    Post subject: Radio Reception Reply with quote

Hi IanJ. Thanks for that offer which I will certainly take up.
Just out of interest, what is the reception like on a standard Misi radio with band expander fitted? I haven't had my van deleivered from Japan yet so I haven't heard one.
Thanks, Mr Bean
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The receptoin is normally good on the mits radios, although the band expander drove me nuts not knowing what station I was really on,
the expander seems to fit all the stations across a small band width :?
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
L400SH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm binning the original radio. Having fitted the band expander I still can't get what I want (R4). Sad Life without the 6.30pm comedy slot driving home and the news in the morning just ain't worth living.. and when I make the change anyone is welcome to the old unit and the expander.

Mr Bean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to IanFJ, I now have a Band Expander, and thanks to SteveH for the instructions. However, no instructions can be too simple for me... After getting the ashtray and cupholders out, I managed to unplug the CD lead at the RHS but with some relief got it connected again. There only seems to be one other lead at the LHS rear. I tugged and tugged to no avail so I thought I had better check here before doing some real damage. Can someone confirm if the lead on the rear LHS is the aerial, in which case I presume I need to tug even harder? Thanks
L400SH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Bean, the aerial plug is/was quite stiff and I pulled with my eyes shut and finger crossed which was tricky! But yes, it should be that. It's a substantial size (compared to other wires and cables) and mine was very well seated. Tug and pray!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: