Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

What is an EGR valve ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:20    Post subject: What is an EGR valve ? Reply with quote

As per a couple of requests about what the EGR valve is and what it does this is a copy of a post originally posted by DAVEL400 at POCUK

I know this has been covered but I though I would put this information in as I did in our OZ forum as we have a few people over here than are worried about touching the EGR valve.

The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is an emission control device to lower the combustion temperature in the engine. A lower combustion means lower NOx (nitrogen oxide) emissions. It accomplishes this by allowing exhaust gases to be recirculated into the intake manifold through a EGR value. The exhaust acts as a inert gas in the combustion chamber forcing the combustion explosion not to be effective as normal because of the presence of this inert gas. Or as some people rationalize it, it "dirtys" the intake air to not burn as well as it should. Ironically, the EGR emission control actually causes an increase HC (hydrocarbon) emissions.

The reason I installed my blockoff plate was that even with the vacuum pipe blocked off the valve could be stuck open, causing the valve to be open at incorrect throttle openings. Theoretically with this mode since the engine is burning more purely a slight increase in power should be seen, though I didn't notice anything significant to confirm this. Also, the intake should run much cooler since no hot exhaust gases are being injected to it, thereby helping the intercooler and having the intake air nicely cooled and dense.

Please feel free to correct me if am wrong  

Dave.G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also this was postes by myself at pocuk that may help a bit more also
The EGR valve is used to recirculate exhaust gases into the inlet manifold to the turbo to reduce emissions due to the strict emission laws in japan,so basically with a fully working egr you are supplying the turbo with dirty warm air,Most english spec shogun engines don't have the EGR fitted as the emissions here are nowhere near as stringent as in japan,so by blocking it you are technically doing the same as what an english engine is.

Plenty of members here have had them blocked for some considerable time and there has been no detremental effects and i don't think there would be either,all the time the EGR functions correctly then its okay but as soon as you start getting the black smoke and usual symptoms its usually a sign the valve is on its way out so blockin is the best option,by blocking the vavle you then supply good clean cool air to the turbo and thus stop the smokeing and other associated problems,hope that makes sense,and I'm pretty sure you won't get any detremental effects from blocking,atb

*Link to the EGR MOD in picie form* http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29

Hope this helps you all!

Marc 8)

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: