Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Burning Smell!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 20:08    Post subject: Burning Smell! Reply with quote

Please help us. We are new owners who know nothing about our recent purchase. ( except its an import, 92, 4WD Star Wagon )
Had our Delica 4 weeks now.

Went for a run today and noticed a burning smell when parked up. Any ideas? I know it could be anything but it is worrying me.... Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 20:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachie
Is the smell inside or outside? or both?Has it had a new exhaust fitted at all,?if so they can smell like burning for a while whilst everything burns off,ie the grease and muck thats accumalated on/in it.
Does the smell coincide with anything inparticular you can remember?steep hill climb use of blower or aircon ?only done it once or all the time?
Check for signs of obvious things that may have got stuck tangled inthe engine area/exhaust *please wait until the engine and exhaust have cooled sufficiently :D *hope that gives you a few memory jogs to enalbe a bit more info,hope it helps atb

Marc 8)

Rachie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the smell is inside and out. Yes it has new exhaust, i'm sure it was just the tail pipe tho'
I have been climbing hills and i noticed the smell after braking aswell.

Noticed puddle of water on floor is that normal when the air con is on?
Thanks. Embarassed
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachie
Quote:
Noticed puddle of water on floor is that normal when the air con is on?
Thanks.

Perfectly normal during aircon useage nothing to worry about there :D

Quote:
Yes it has new exhaust, i'm sure it was just the tail pipe tho'
I have been climbing hills and i noticed the smell after braking aswell

It could possibly be the exhaust then as they do tend to hum a bit for a while,smells like burning plastic amongst other things,when you are getting the smell during braking have you checked the hubs to see if they are hot?does it feel like the Delica is holding back whilst driving?sort of as tho the brakes are holding you back?if so it could be a dodgy caliper causing the brake pad to bind on the disc causing overheating and possibly the burning smell?
Is it possible that some of the soundproofing above the engine has come loose and is heating up and smelling?best to lift up inside or however the L300 engine is get atable :D hope that helps

Marc 8)

Rachie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that is really helpful.
Brakes feel okay but will check. ( or hubby will !! )

Thanks again. Laughing
pyrogaz

Location: Caithness, next stop polar bears and hardy little chaps in Parkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachie, just a thought, I had a similar prob with my L400. The oil seal on the front of the rear diff was leaking and oil being flung onto the exhaust by the rotating proshaft. Check if there is a black oily line running across the underside of the body just above the font of the diff. Smile
tricky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachie,

Burning smell on L300

Most common fault on this engine is leaking rocker cover gasket and half moon rubbers.

The oil escapes and runs onto the exhaust manifold and you get horrible burning oil smell - sickly sweet.

Gaskets and half moon rubbers are very cheap from Milners or Mitsubishi dealer (make sure you give them your VIN number) and you can replace them in about an hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: