4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

tow bar and fuel tank?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baumdude

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 18:15    Post subject: tow bar and fuel tank? Reply with quote

Hi, firstly could any one tell me how many litres the fuel tank takes on a 2.5td L300 manual? This is so i can work out what 20% veg oil would be to a full tank.
If any one is running with 20% any comments would be great, What oil, veg, sunflower. rape etc and what effects?

Secondly, does any one have a tow bar fitted that they wouldn't mind explaing to me where it is attatched and what it looks like, photo would be great.
The reason i ask is, i have only had my Deli a week and i have already broken it! Was pulling 2 12 ton'ish this morning and was alarmed to find when i got to my destination that the supports where only 2'' wide L shape girders and had bent 30% down. Crikey i thought, sorry about that pile up on the m6 officer!!! (just kidding, got back okay luckily)
I think mine is a home made job and was wondering if you can buy mitsi ones. If so, where from and how much. I may be able to weld it up using box sections but not sure where to attatch it and what size steel to use. Apart from nearly losing 15 grands worth of stump grinder it towed alright.

I hope to give some info back to the forum as i do the jobs that are planned for my new transport so keep up the good work.
cheers.
Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 18:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

IanFJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this lot for the towbar,

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/

I'm afraid I Can't help you with the fitting on a 300 as I have a 400, got my bar from them and it went on a treat. Only minus being that bar is only deliverd in primer paint.

Best of Luck

IanJ
the kitten
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 19:06    Post subject: tow bar Reply with quote

the link has given you is the best one i paid £115.00 for mine that includes delivery and it fits into the correct holes on the frame so no drilling.
Easy job well thats what my mate said when he fitted it. :3some:
marius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 21:48    Post subject: towbars and litres L300 Reply with quote

Towbars for L300 4x4 differ from the 2WD versions, the 2WD I had was allowed yo pull 1100 Kg, The 4x4 version I`ve got now 2000 KG,
They differ also in height and constuction. Google for; Brink trekhaken.

The most I`ve got in my tank is 54 litres
Without modification it is the outside starting temperature which dictates the mix, I ran this summer on 20 litres Aldi sunflower oil (59 eurocents)
Now i`m adding 10 litres on a full tank
Marius
baumdude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys, will defo be getting a proper rated bar after the home made fiasco!
Turns out the link to the company selling them has a sale on and there currently 89 quid. Bonus! :D

cheers marius for the oil info, will start looking for bargains in the supermarkets.
joned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This is my first post on the site. I am picking up my new to me Delica 92 exceed on Thursday night. Wish me luck

Just to add to the towbar question. The Delica I am getting has a towbar fitted but I am not convinced about how strong it is as the brackets didn't look all that impressive.
If anyone could get a photo or describe their brackets I would really apreciate it. I am intending towing my caravan with it and would like to keep hold of it if you know what I mean :D :D

Jon
jo0lz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would say is that the TowEquipe brackets for L300 towbar that go forwards and bolt through the floor need to be adapted if you have a rear anti roll bar.

You will simply need to grind a corner off the open ends of the square section tubes

Jo0lz
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

No idea where the towbar is from or who makes it - it was on there when I got it, but apparently used to drag a horse box and trailer bouncy castles (hence the pink) so is reasonably strong.

Photos here (just taken in the dark!) so not as clear as they could be - second to last gives best idea. Looks like its bolted to plates that are welded to the chassis rails and bolted near the leaf spring hangers.

Lots of rust down there! (non serious though as it got its MOT last week).

http://www.grannyspit.com/Delica/towbar/index.htm

Good luck

Roger

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jo0lz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 23:22    Post subject: Towequipe supplied TowTrust Towbar Ref 701 for L300 P25W Reply with quote

Here are the pix of what I have fitted under the back of my Deli in a photobox album....link here

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1915720

Here is another link to a PDF showing how the Towtrust Towbar you can buy from TowEquipe looks and a description of how it is fitted

http://www.fittinginstructions.co.uk/Towtrust/701.pdf

I hope this gives you a better idea of what you will get and what you will need to do to fit the thing as it isn't just a simply bolt on job!!!!
Jo0lz
baumdude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 15:24    Post subject: no pics. Reply with quote

oh no, can't see your pics j0olz. not sure why but photobox ones don't come up on my computor.
Any chance you could email them to me. Cheers.
joned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos.

I will have to look closer when I get the Delica (tommorrow night (I am getting excited)) but the towbar on your pink pig look far more substancial than mine.

Jon
jo0lz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobox..........!!!! see edited earlier quote for link to Public Album
Jo0lz
joned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Joolz. Looks like I need to buy a new towbar. Mine is nothing like as substantial as that. Will see if there is anything I can do with it when I get it.

Mine does look like a bought one but not much too it. Hope the pics help you too Baum.

Jon
marius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 19:23    Post subject: Fixation towbar Reply with quote

Hi JoOLZ, took a serious look at the piccies, shouldn`t there be a serious bolt through the part above the stabilizer bar if you want to tow anything?
Marius
jo0lz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeeerrrrmmmmm YUP

That photo was taken to show the clash between bracket and rear anti roll bar.

After the 'cutting with grinder' I DID fit all the bolts through the floor, three on each side.

If you use the link to the public photobox album (see previous post, now edited) I have uploaded more pix........... and I have added a link to a PDF showing the fitting instructions

That about covers it I think!!

Jo0lz
baumdude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 21:24    Post subject: cheers Reply with quote

Thanks for the instruction link. Has given me a very good idea as to how simple it is to fit.
Would be far easier and safer to just buy one and adapt it than to make one!
Thanks jo0lz for info.
baumdude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the towbar today, finally bought one from tow trust and, despite them telling me it may not fit, it went on easily.
For the record, my 88 p25w doesn't have rear anti role bars (maybe thats why its roley!) and no modifications are necessary for the fitting.
Some of the bolts in the kit are too short though so it may be wise to visit the local engineers shop if any one gets one.

Many thanks to all who took the time to help and take photos.

cheers Wink
The Owl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the veg oil thing, 10 litres in a tank? Do you just pour the stuff in from the bottle or do you have to mix it in some way? Is it really as easy as it sounds?
Stu
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Owl wrote:
On the veg oil thing, 10 litres in a tank? Do you just pour the stuff in from the bottle or do you have to mix it in some way? Is it really as easy as it sounds?
Stu

If it is straight off the shelf (neat & clean!) then you can pour up to 20 litres per tankfull without any worries.....

.....just open the filler cap, pour away!

Probably best to put the 20 litres in on half a tank, then top with diesel to make it exactly 30% (well - 1/3 tank of oil!)

Obviously if you are going to do this - remember to register/pay the duty - after all, we're a law abiding club.... Wink

Regards,

Bruce.

The Owl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!
Thanks
Stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: