4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Soon to be a farewell for the pig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Common room ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 19:37    Post subject: Soon to be a farewell for the pig Reply with quote

Well what a fantastic and supportive community this has been for nearly 20 years.
I joined August 2004 and bought the Pig in Oct 2004. The rest (and rust) is history!

Bit of a family decision to buy something quite a bit bigger, a small motorhome of some sort, so we can travel/camp in it for longer periods. This is primarily to support my wife's faltering health, but also my aching bones working at festivals etc. and we've only got room/finances for one toy/project/leisure vehicle at a time.

So to the PinkPig - still running it around through the winter as a second vehicle and look to move it on in the spring (or as soon as we've found a replacement).
As annoying timing would have it 5th gear has started grumbling, so box needs a rebuild (again! They only last 13 years it seems) but still drives fine on 1st to 4th (Find me in amongst the trucks in the slow lane doing 56mph). So may be a bargain to be had for someone if I don't get it fixed by then. And an absolute mountain of spares to sort through in the shed, so may have a few leaving presents to share with everyone here (full rear carpet for a Chamonix? Weird bits of unidentified trim? Original steel spare with original 35 year old tyre - bit crispy!!!)

Anyway - what an adventure it's been. I'll be around for a few more months, but just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone I've met over so many years and your advice, information and many good laughs.

wave  salute  thumbleft

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 19:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sorry to hear your having to move it on, but when the time comes you have to do it.

Strangely enough I've been seeing how many decent quality motor homes are going up for sale at really low prices on Facebook Marketplace. Though the likes of a Kon-Tiki are not what you want to drive. round the local supermarket carpark.

In my case, it's a requirement for the 4x4 mode; so many hills around here and wetter/ colder weather taking up more of the year, regardless of claims about global warming.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this, enjoyed meeting you at the various venues we attended.
Wishing all the best for the future.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many FB ads are scams. Fake pix, same text/same ad reposted with different locations, want a deposit to hold the vehicle. All the too good to be true £3-5k ones.
There's also though genuine bargains falling out of London due to ULEZ and unused lockdown purchases, that plus winter makes it a good time to buy (and to check for damp!).

You're right about climate change impacting the wet season - I will miss the 4WD - especially if I end up with a FWD thing spinning in the mud on road tyres. I'll make sure the towing points are good and phone a Delica owner 😉😂

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you have to move on, Roger. The Pink Pig is a legend, and I hope someone will take on the challenge, and invest the TLC to keep it gracing the roads, festivals and meets for years to come.
Apart from 2 holidays early in my ownership of my Deli, my wife has expressed no desire to go places in it with me, so I have the whole van to myself, especially now the kids have emigrated!
You'll have to paint its replacement in a similar colour scheme, and christen it PP2, so we can flash you with our washers when we see you! Your input, knowledge, experience and sense of humour have been a lifeline and source of comfort and reassurance for us L300 lovers, struggling to keep our aging old faithfuls on the road (and off it, in my case!). Not to mention the invaluable workshop manual downloaded into FAQs.
Hoping we'll meet again somewhere, perhaps at a Delica meet somewhere? (I'm sure PP2 will be welcome, whatever its brand!)
Good luck with the hunt, and keep popping in on this forum!

Andy
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:26    Post subject: but maybe not... Reply with quote

Wait on wait on!

Friends are lending us a coachbuilt for 3 months in the summer/autumn while they are overseas so we can try before we buy as they may be selling it next year.

So a reprieve for the Pig and another summer of camping, festivals, oily bits and chasing rust  Very Happy

Just need to fettle the noisy 5th gear and do the wet footwell leaks (again!!)

Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you are on for another year.
I think the glut of motor homes on the market is the absolutely ridiculous rise in insurance rates this year.
May be see you around.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Glut' is also partly down to them being caught up in the various UK congestion and clean air zones. Others, owned by older folk wanting to do long length trips in them, through late autumn and winter, in the warmer climes of Spain and Southern France are now getting caught out by the EU's 90 day annual visiting limit and the increase in fuel and ferry prices.

Two years ago some friends of mine bought a smaller motorhome in Spain on their last visit. Effectively having it owned and insured by their daughters Spanish husband, who live near Figueres. When they got home they put their UK based Motorhome up for sale. Now they fly out and use the Spanish one. They also mentioned that they get a lot less hassle, especially when driving over the border into and around southern France, due to the Spanish number plate. The UK one seemed like a magnet to the Gendarms, checking they had the correct paperwork and required equipment.

If you spot any going at ridiculously low prices on Facebook Marketplace take great care and check the profile of the seller. I spotted several adverts from different sellers which all had identical wording for multiple motorhomes. Each included the same vehicles in a long list of them, all selling at the same price.  Take a look at this one, as an example. Click on several different advertised vehicles, note the prices and then read the full description:- https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/profile/100014092577460/

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've see quite a few at the £3k-5k that would normally sell at £15k with the same wording (always garaged, clean title!), same spelling mistakes, comments turned off etc.
This one we're borrowing we've known the family for 25 years, and I've fixed a few bits on their van so its a known quantity.

Good points about the cost of ownership - not just ULEZ here but the european toll roads, insurance, even the toll bridge in town here, it goes on.

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

When travelling in Europe I have always set my TomTom to avoid Toll Roads, taking the 'Eco' route. That way I got diverted off the motorways at the nearest exit to them and then back on again.
Many a time I found that a vehicle I had been following, which had opted to take the Toll Road, had not got through the Toll section before me.

It saves a lot of money and usually provided a route through some really nice areas and invairiably with cheaper fuel stations.

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Common room ... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: