4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Rear suspension parts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meadatron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 15:25    Post subject: Rear suspension parts Reply with quote

Hey guys, I need help with a rear suspension issue.     L300 Star Wagon Q-P35W HSRGT 2

I can't get the Delica through it's MOT due to anti-roll bar bushes front and back etc. which is all doable, but...

One of the things the helpfully thorough mechanic has picked up is what he is calling the 'rear lower shackle clamp' is too corroded. I mean, he's right, it is. So much so that I can't identify it. I've trawled through diagrams and photos online but can't find any version that looks like my set up.

It is a piece of metal that goes between the 'U bolts' and the rear axle, sort of around the axle and cradling the U bolts.

I'd share a pic but that skill is avoiding me at the moment / or I'm not allowed.
I've had parts from Amayama before and will order from them again once I can identify the part number.

Has anyone got reference / drawings / photos of any different rear suspension set ups?

Thanks in advance guys,
Meadatron.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 15:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mr.b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 0:03    Post subject: Star Wagon Reply with quote

Hello Meadatron,
If you look in the L300 Technical F.A.Q. section, the first line is a downloadable manual, if you scroll down you will find a downloadable manual for the Star Wagon.
Hope this is useful. Cheers Chris & Chris.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the Spring shakle Plate, item number 41152C, in the diagram shown on this link. If so the part number is at the top of the page:-

https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/delica_star_wagon/p35w/hsrgt2/rear-suspension/rear-susp/202775/

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are pretty/very corroded too, but the axle is secure, so that hasn't failed  - yet! Mine are a very simple C shape, with grooves to locate the U bolts, - I'd call it a saddle. Mine is a 1991, so pre rear ARB. If you can get the U bolts, they should determine the inside diameter of the saddles, so local fabrication may be a possibility  If you can't get them through Amayama, ask on one of the Australian FB sites - someone in nearby east Asia will be making them.
Meadatron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I've looked through the manuals and looked at the 41152C part, but it's massive. My version is much smaller and probably the same as what you are describing Andyman. Perhaps I'll try looking through earlier models (pre rear ARB) and see if I can spot it and get a part number.

Once I've posted a few more times I'll be able to show you a picture.

I too thought that with the U bolts tight, the axle is secure so what's the issue - but hey ho, he's highlighted it now so I'll have to sort it.

Any chance you can show me a picture of yours in situ Andyman?

Thanks again.
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, not until it gets back from MoT, where it has failed on brake balance (front) and inefficient handbrake.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at the linked diagram there is an additional small line going in the direction of the group of three plates to the right of 41152C.

Could that group be the smaller items you are after, ie a set used on some models ?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

A useful post here on The ~...

https://~.com/index.php?threads/the-L300-suspension-thread.1246/post-10946

I recently put my L300 back on the road after two years off. When I saw the state of those plates on mine I did as Growlerbearnz suggested in the post. I chiselled the remnants off (under all the flaky stuff there were two spot welds holding them on the axle) and cleaned/rolled the edges where they pass under the U-bolts. All looks nice and clean now. Passed the MOT test last week with no advisories. Incidentally, it had passed tests previously with them in a horrible state too.

As it says in that post, many vehicles don't even have that part. If the u-bolts are installed nice and straight then they can't move anywhere, so that part isn't really needed.

Am I correct in thinking the rusty plate was noted on the test results?. If not, then maybe clean them up as above and take it to a different test station?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the testing stations are connected, through the MoT system.
Whatever was put on a test fail notice at one station is viewable at all other stations.

ルイス
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a word is blocked in my post above, so apologies to all if I shouldn't have mentioned another forum name here - sorry!

A quick follow-up. The guy in that thread goes on to say he decided to get new ones fabricated and fitted. If you'd rather do that then it should be relatively simple, but would require undoing and unsettling the u-bolts to fit them. It's probably worth trying the clean-up option first I'd say.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Note that the testing stations are connected, through the MoT system.
Whatever was put on a test fail notice at one station is viewable at all other stations.

Thanks Lewis. Yes, this is why I asked about whether if it was actually a failure point on the test or if the tester just mentioned it in passing. If the latter, then clean it up and try a test elsewhere. The axle will just look like one on any other farm truck if you didn't know it previously had that plate.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how my u-bolt looked after a clean up.

This photo makes the entire rear end look fossilised, but it's not that bad really.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know yours is still in the game, Tim. Two weeks later mine is still at the Mot garage. I thought all the brakes needed was a front calliper freeing off, and attention to the handbrake linkage! I'd have sorted it myself, but had booked it in for the Monday after I got back from going up and down dale(s) all weekend in Yorkshire, so they can't be that bad!
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed Andy. I've found the Delica to be pretty resistant to deterioration when it's laid up. This is the second time mine has been off the road for over a year and pretty simple to get back on it both times (thankfully).
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends, Tim, on whether it's laid up outside through the winter. I may have done too much wading and not enough greasing! (of calliper sliders and pad lugs!) Sad
Meadatron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a quick update.

My set up is the same as Mouseflake has in his pictures (complete with the fossilised look), and I have found out the rusty part I'm looking for isn't actually a part at all.
It is actually spot welded to the axle and isn't available as a separate part - therefore my options are to remove rusty parts and clean up the area, pretending it was never there or, to fabricate from scratch and replace it.

I might as well try the fabricate option but I'm a little unsure if I can weld it back onto the axle in situ though??

More updates to follow... wish me luck.
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect they are spot welded on at manufacture just to ensure they stay in place while the axle is being fitted to the springs, so you don't end up with the axle offset, or springs not lining up with their hangers. Once the U-bolts are tightened up, the spot welds are redundant!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that assessment Andy.  As the Axle is constructed it moves along a production line, so the part would need to maintain its position for the next person, or machine, to fit the next bit.

Meadatron Even if you could do them, the MoT tester would not see the spot welds. If you want to do something to hold them in place, whilst you bolt everything together, then consider using some spots of liquid metal welding filler

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:31; edited 1 time in total
Meadatron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final update as I finally got the van through an MOT today, yay!

I did as Mouseflakes (via Growlerbearnz) suggested and ground off all the excess flakey rust, cleaned it up as best as possible.
I went back to the same garage that picked up the issue on a quick look once over they did for me - I like them there - but fortunately for me the old guy who checked it over before was off having a new hip installed  Laughing

Thanks for the input  salute  

I'm looking forward to my first drive for a few months.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, glad it worked out for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: