4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Nipple-greasing time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 19:08    Post subject: Nipple-greasing time! Reply with quote

As it was warm and dry today, I thought I'd do a little winter maintenance under the Deli.

Cleaned out the wheel-arches of accumulated mud (the country roads are as bad as the unsurfaced lanes for this at present),

Jacked up both front wheels and gave them a good top and bottom wiggle, (bearings and top and bottom ball joints). I think the o/s bearings have a small amount of play, but less than the n/s ones had before I adjusted them last year. (about 3mm at the tyre shoulder.)

Then took a front and back hold on them, gave them a waggle, no play in the track rod ends, just the same, minor o/s bearing play.

Removed front wheels, cleaned all six ball joint nipples and areas around them (had to dig out the bottom ones - caked with hard mud!)

Generous application of grease gun. I love the way Mitsubishi have supplied little over-pressure weep spigots on the OEM top and bottom ball joint rubbers, so you can stop greasing when you see a little worm of grease come out of said spigots!

I cut two 1/2" pieces of reinforced rubber petrol hose to push over the bottom joint nipples and fill the holes where they protrude through the lower suspension arms, to prevent re-filling with mud!

Refitted wheels, then climbed underneath with a torch. Pleased to see the Fergie grey floor paint I had finished my welded sill panels with show no sign of any rust or rusty weeps. However, the rear diff prop shaft bearing seal is now weeping quite badly, on the upside, it is rustproofing the adjacent under-body and petrol tank. Need to order a new seal. No play in rear prop shaft UJs

However, the forward front prop shaft UJ has a good deal of play in it, improved by several pumps of the grease gun,, which the other UJ nipples also received, and the one on the rear sliding joint which I had never noticed before. The joint suddenly "popped" under the pressure from the grease gun, and moved a mm or two! I wonder if the sliding joint had got stuck during the Deli's six months non-use for welding, - putting a strain on the prop-shaft bearing/seal, and causing it to leak?

Last job was to re-fit the second captain's seat, removed for the camping season. Its protective nylon cover had a few bird droppings on it from its summer in the shed, so I took it off and washed it. The original alcantara with the 'Super Exceed' logo embroidered in gold is gratifyingly still like new!

Next job - Timing belts and water pump! Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 19:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ClockworkOwl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done this job, and despite some trepidation it was actually very enjoyable.
 New gun, small wire brush and easy peasy!

The difference is remarkable, much smoother and quieter, especially over all the pot holes!

I have the same leaks, but then all my oil seals seem to have died over the last few years.
  Hopefully the propshaft will come off easily...
 Then it's only balance shafts and crank rear end   Shocked
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to do the front prop shaft uj, belts and an oil change before the travelling/ camping season starts. I did 150 miles on a laning day a week ago - the old girl took everything in her stride and hummed along happily on the open road. My strap line still holds true!
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must do mine! That's for the kick up the diff.  Smile

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: