2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

MOT Fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:20    Post subject: MOT Fail Reply with quote

Very disappointing but the van failed it's MOT on emissions this morning.  My wife took it in so I haven't seen the paperwork yet but she tells me the emissions should be a maximum of yhree and the van averaged five!
I rang the testing station and had a chat with the guy who tested it, he couldn't really tell me anything apart from it chucked out lots of black smoke when he tested it.

I'm hoping that means it's poor combustion rather than the rings; it had a full service with filters oil etc. about 6000 miles ago so maybe could do with a new air filter but I can't see it making that much difference.  It had a new turbo in 2015 which seems to be fine, plenty of boost and you can hear it spooling up just lightly touching the throttle.
New head a year ago and the fuel pump reconditioned five years ago. I put a litre of transmission fluid in a tank of fuel six months ago to flush the system out as well.

So that's the history of it, has anyone any thoughts on what to do next?

Cheers, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn injectors? Did it get a new chain any time? Chain wear/ lack of tension can put the timing out badly enough to affect combustion. Does it start on the button?
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, yes it had a new timing chain when I did the fuel pump so that should be okay and yes it starts just fine.  I thought injectors as well as they haven't been done yet but they're expensive so I didn't want to assume.
Cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the hose going from the rocker cover to the top of the air filter housing, to see if there is oil in it.  The easiest and quickest way is to unclip the filter box top, turn it over and see if any is coming out of the connecting tube.

If so then the baffles in the top of the rocker cover are blocked, so the cover needs removing and cleaning out.

You will also find that leads to oil in the intercooler hoses, from the turbo, the intercooler itself and the hose going to the air inlet manifold. Take the hose off the top of the manifold and remove the EGR valve, wrap some cloth around a finger and wipe it around the inside of the openings.  If that is gunged up then the intercooler sytem will need flushing out, with a hose, after letting it soak in degreaser. Fitting blanking plates instead of putting the valve back will also help.

In addition to doing that I also disconnected the hose, from going to the airfilter and used a catch can, then blocking up the connector to the air filter, by putting in a fat bolt, with a decent layer of black gasket sealant, as per this photo.

This was my test pass figures in May, he had accidentally left the maximum test pass figure of the previous vehicle on (1.5), but it still passed with a reading of .83.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Lewis, I will have a look at all that tonight hopefully; I see there are lots of catch cans on Amazon, so I may grab one from them,
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look on eBay, as the same item from the same company are often a few quid cheaper.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just had a look at the pipework etc. and it's not dripping in oil but it is a bit oily; I took the pipe from the rocker cover off and ran the engine for a minute with the pipe blowing onto a white paper towel. There was a black stain left on the towel, again not really oily but dirty.  I then took out the air filter and had a look at that and all the metalwork on it had an oily sheen which I've never seen before.
I guess the baffles must be a bit blocked and oil is coming through from the rocker case, so a clean up and unblocking required along with a catch can fitting.
I've ordered some new injectors too as they have been on my to-do list for a long time; hopefully next week will all be good again,
Cheers, Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed for you. Let us know! thumbright
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it passed this time, I fitted a catch can and changed three injectors!! The HP fuel line to No. 4 injector has a slight kink in it and whilst it would seal on the old injector, there was no way it would seal on the new one; I ordered a new set of HP fuel lines but due to the postal strike they still hadn't arrived in time for the retest so I took a gamble and put the old injector back in.
I did get an advisory though - exhaust emits excessive smoke or vapour but not likely to obscure the vision of other road users; I'll have to look into it, but at this stage I'm not sure what it will be.

Anyway its on the road again!

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you set the catchcan up on the hose between the camcover and the air filter, or going direct to the catchcan, with a short air filter on the outlet pipe, as per my setup?

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,

the same set-up as yours,

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: