Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

4m40 diesel pump rebuild required.. ouch£!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy lander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 13:15    Post subject: 4m40 diesel pump rebuild required.. ouch£! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just heard back from Diesel Bob regarding state of the diesel injector pump, and it's not good news!..

Following bench test: major issues with pump - very poor suction, excessive mid range delivery, discoloured fuel from pump return.
Inspected internally and found to be contaminated with engine oil and signs of rust.

Advised pump rebuild required.

Full rebuild of pump Inc new vane pump, test & calibrate - £428 plus vat... Ouch!

Plus injectors rebuilt - £192 plus vat

It's been an expensive couple years with the Delica and as mentioned above I am in the middle of the second head replacement!

The advice I am after is:

1.Would anyone agree with me that the faulty diesel pump could have caused the engine to overheat and crack the head again?

2. Has anyone else had a diesel pump rebuilt... Is it worth it!? Or...

3. Would I be best to try and source a good second hand pump.. obviously I then take the risk!

Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 13:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A faulty fuel pump would not cause overheating.

That is down to a fault in the cooling system or a fault in fitting the head. such as :-

1. Overtightening of the head on fitting.

2. Fitting the wrong sized gasket.

3. Fitting a crappy gasket or a gasket with a faulty channel seal in it, that allowed a gap to form between the water channel and piston cylinder.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy lander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Lewis

Appreciate your advice regarding the faulty fuel pump, but would you agree incorrect calibration of the pump causing it to over fuel cause overheating?

Regarding the cooling system/fault with fitting head - the entire cooling system was either replaced/checked including new rad, stat, water pump flush etc and the head was fitted to Manufacturer spec in terms of procedure and torque settings etc.

Here's hoping it was due to an aftermarket gasket (was a four notch) - am waiting for the new genuine Mitsubishi head gasket (3 notch - correct for engine) and reconditioned fuel pump and injectors to arrive.

Will keep you posted on the rebuild!

Thanks again
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of overheating as a by-product/symptom of over-fuelling, which generally leads to excessive black smoke and fuel consumption. A diesel engine will only burn as much fuel as it is getting air for, the rest will be sent out of the exhaust as partly burnt fuel which is black carbon particles and CO2 and unburnt fuel - hence a strong smell of diesel. An over-boosting turbo is more likely to cause overheating. The only part of the cooling system you will not have been able to renew is the cylinder block. Like the head, the narrow channels in it fur up with rust, reducing flow through the engine if correct coolant mixture has not been maintained.  Definitely worth checking the state of these when you take the head off next.
Andy lander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your good advice.

Yes I have checked and cleaned out the waterways as far as possible in the block,

Just waiting for the genuine head gasket to arrive now so I can start putting it back together....

And then blow off on an overdue coast camping tour of Wales!
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coastal tour of Wales is on my trip list too (missing out the tourist colonies of the north coast!) With a few in-land detours too. OOPs, sorry - off topic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: