Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Viscous Coupling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 13:05    Post subject: Viscous Coupling Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just returned from two weeks of wild camping in the Lakes which was great.  The van started to over heat and let me down on three occasions going up the particularly steep passes, so I had to stop for a brew half way up each and let it cool down.  When I got home last night, with the engine hot, I found I could spin the radiator fan easily which I believe indicates the viscous coupling is stuffed.

I'm sure that I read that you can refill them rather than replace them but I Can't find anything on this; is this true and if so how do you do it and with what?

cheers,

Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 13:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help on the viscous fan, but if you still have the 2 x A/C condenser fans, you can always put a switch and direct wiring to them, so you can turn them on when you like for extra cooling. Is yours an auto, and did you use the gearbox for engine braking coming down any passes? A mate burned out his L300 brakes descending Hardknott in D  in 2019. I caught up with him at the bottom, his Deli sat in a large puddle with steam hissing off his wheels! Not much danger of engine overheating, it was cold and wet that day.
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

yes mine is an auto and yes I used low gears on all the passes bar one short one leading down to Aira Force/Ulswater and there was a strong brake smell - oops!  We camped a couple of nights half way up Hardknot Pass as the scenery was brilliant as was the drive up it!

cheers, Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 16:12    Post subject: Re: Viscous Coupling Reply with quote

Andy W wrote:
I'm sure that I read that you can refill them rather than replace them but I Can't find anything on this; is this true and if so how do you do it and with what?

They are none refillable sealed units, as per photos below, though you can sometimes swap one from another make of vehicle, by changing the rear bracket fitting. The Deli uses a four bar set up.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,

looking on the Aussie site, they say that by removing the four philips screws, the unit can be split apart and then the oil replaced - they are using 10,000CST silicone oil for this.  (https://www.~.com/viewtopic.php?t=37113&p=352422&sid=535c9e35dbda5bd2cdbf27013fb1668f).

I remember when we met in Staffordshire last year you thought my fan was a Pajero one, so I guess it will be a case of pulling it apart and having a look as mine may not be what we think it is - if that makes sense!!

Regards, Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those four philips heads you can see in the photo are the bolts that hold it into the fan frame.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Well I removed the four screws, and the casing split into two halves; the Aussies say to put 18ml of 10,000cst silicone oil in when replacing the fluid. Mine had a thin coating, definitely nowhere near 18ml, so I put in about 15ml and now just need to take it for a spin. It was actually very simple, though I would have liked to give it a thorough clean before new fluid but I didn't have anything that would desolve silicone oil.

Anyway I'll see how it goes,

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well; like they say you learn something new everyday.  Very Happy

I'm glad that method is available, but wondering why mine doesn't come apart.

There is a product that is sold online and alsoo in LIDL's that can help get the old silicone out, which I have used elsewhere:- https://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pcYKh/

There are probably many other makes of it as well.

HTH

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every day is a learning day 😁
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: