4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

How easy is to replace lower arm ball joint 2002 Space Gear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 23:00    Post subject: How easy is to replace lower arm ball joint 2002 Space Gear? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I did a search but couldn't find anything..

Anyone know how easy it is to replace a lower arm ball joint on a 2002 Delica Space Gear?

I'm getting lots of clonky noises... and some vibrations in the steering wheel, although it seems to lessen after 20 minutes of driving..

also - how robust are they? could it be safe enough to drive the vehicle do we think if its really clonky (its been like it several months now)

Appreciate any wisdom greatly received

I will get it taken to a ramp at local garage, but would be good to know what you guys think... (I know nothing about this area)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 23:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gpf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy job, if you have tools to do it.

IE:-

Jack
Axle stands
socket set
spanners
x1, preferably x2, 4lb lump hammers.
copper grease, for applying to threads before replacing nuts.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done this job myself. Is this the one where it is recommended to take the pressure off the lower ball joint by using a bottle jack (should be one with the vehicle) between the upper, outer ball joint and the lower wishbone pivot bolt. once you've taken the wheel off?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Andy.  You’re thinking of the top balljoint removal.

Edited to add a photo:-

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Wed Apr 06, 2022 13:46; edited 1 time in total
gpf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot (and for tool list) -
gpf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can just the ball joint be replaced? Or does it require the whole arm? / cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is just the balljoint that is worn, or the gaiter split/shredded, then just replace that.

The Wishbone (Arm) is more of a problem, with two rubber bushes in it, plus replacement of a wishbone also requires the suspension geometery to be reset, using a laser alignment setup in a 4x4 enabled garage.

ルイス
gpf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

- whats the upper ball joint like as a job? while I'm here

Thanks Lewis - I think you may just about be  as important as my motor itself .. beyond helpful  - would be lost without this forum
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, as the top and bottom ball joints don't have positive locations, don't you need to get the suspension geometry set up again anyway?
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpf wrote:
- whats the upper ball joint like as a job? while I'm here

Thanks Lewis - I think you may just about be  as important as my motor itself .. beyond helpful  - would be lost without this forum

Job is easy as per my first reply above.

An added 'luxury' for use would be a padded and insulated, waterproof mat to sit on. Job time approx one hour including making a cuppa.  Very Happy

ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy W wrote:
Hi, as the top and bottom ball joints don't have positive locations, don't you need to get the suspension geometry set up again anyway?
Andy

As you are simply lifting out a fixed piece of metal, with a built-in ball joint, and not making changes to the wishbone settings no re-alignment is required.
Though there's nothing to stop you dishing out the extra £50 for a garage doing it, if it makes you feel better.

I was going to put a photo here, but the image hosting company link is playing up.  Sad

ルイス
skodarapid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one hour is a little optimistic.  These jobs write off my weekends.  If it's anything like mine, add a grinder to your tool list.  You have to slide the driveshaft out of the hub for clearance above the bad ball joint because the taper you are removing from the knuckle assembly is quite long.
Not sure now if you can slide the driveshaft all the way out without disconnecting something else, i.e trackrod/upper ball joint bolts.  What brand ball joint have you bought?

If the upper is just as old, I recommend doing both at the same time.  I started doing the odd one but within a couple years have changed all of them.
gpf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thanks for that - I was going to approach it one at a time (perhaps I should re-think that then - and look at both)

appreciate the help everyone... plus now might be a good time for a cuppa ..too ...  Very Happy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

skodarapid wrote:
………You have to slide the driveshaft out of the hub for clearance ……

Shocked

Whatever it is you were doing it must have been somethings else.  You do not need to remove the driveshaft to replace a wishbone balljoint.

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPF
The lower ball joint (steering joint) can be a bit of a "Chinese Puzzle" to insert into the lower arm.

When you remove it take note of how it comes out. Replace new in the same order.

Mr D
skodarapid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
skodarapid wrote:
………You have to slide the driveshaft out of the hub for clearance ……

Shocked

Whatever it is you were doing it must have been somethings else.  You do not need to remove the driveshaft to replace a wishbone balljoint.

Well there is only 15-20mm clerance between the top of the lower ball joint and the driveshaft, so when you are driving the taper out of the knuckle assembly it will simply knock into the driveshaft.  When was the last time you did it?
I am assuming it's 4WD and you aren't removing the lower arm from the inboard mountings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: